notail and reiser4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: notail and reiser4? Reply with quote

What exactly does notail do for reiser4? I had notail in my fstab, and then I removed it and my fs got corrupted. I don't know if the corruption was a direct resuly, but is that possible? Thanks.
-ben
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, reiser4 (and 3.x also) can store many files into one single cluster. The purpose of tail and notails options are to change between the classic mode and the tailed one. With notail the files are stored in separated spaces, wich makes bigger the space wasted when there are lots of small files, but also make the access to these files a lot faster.

Second, there is no need to use tail to get a hard fs corruption with reiser4, it can do that for itself, my advice: dont use reiser4 until mature.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use notail with reiser4. It's probably the source of your corruption.

reiser4 should be faster than reiserfs without tails and more space efficient than reiserfs with tails.

6thpink wrote:
...there is no need to use tail to get a hard fs corruption with reiser4, it can do that for itself, my advice: dont use reiser4 until mature.

Show me a reproducible bug so I can report it. I try to break reiser4, but I can't anymore, even on AMD64.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not gonna talk more about, there are so much topics regarding and this is off of this topic. Just say that 'stable' <> ' working on my machine' but 'working on all machines'.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something wrong here. You shouldn't even be able to mount reiser4 with the notail option. Are you using the latest reiser4progs and a recent kernel?
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh ya I was, I'm not anymore. I think my fstab was messed up tho. I didn't have a filesystem type, and therefore it thought "notail" was my filesystem type, it errored out on that and just relied on auto-detect and mouted just fine. I *think* that was what was happening. Anyways can't even use mm-sources b/c they break nvidia driver support.
-ben
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
There's something wrong here. You shouldn't even be able to mount reiser4 with the notail option. Are you using the latest reiser4progs and a recent kernel?

+PLUS+

esromneb wrote:
Uh ya I was..................

=EQUAL=

Stable thing...................... :roll: Every single day I see passing by I love more the Namesys boys :twisted:
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand....
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking ironically. Since notail is an unsupported option for reiser4 (I really did not know about that, thou...) you should not have been able even to mount it with that option. So, what I wanted to say in my previous post is that is evident that reiser4 is not mature nor stable.

My 'love' for Namesys is also ironicall :wink:
Sir No
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esromneb wrote:
What exactly does notail do for reiser4? I had notail in my fstab, and then I removed it and my fs got corrupted. I don't know if the corruption was a direct resuly, but is that possible? Thanks.

+PLUS+
esromneb wrote:
I think my fstab was messed up tho. I didn't have a filesystem type, and therefore it thought "notail" was my filesystem type, it errored out on that and just relied on auto-detect and mouted just fine. I *think* that was what was happening.

=EQUALS=

PEBCAK (*)

So please, sire, don't bash everyone that is testing this fs. And I'm testing reiserfs v4 too, for half of a year already. Didn't have any issues with it so far, plus it speeds up disk operations and makes the disk more quiet. It even survived power outage I had yesterday. Which was not the case with XFS / JFS I was testing also (I remember those writing delays...) That's why I've switched. And you are perfectly right, stating that 'stable' <> ' working on my machine' but 'working on all machines'. But it works for me fine.

(*) Problem Existed Between Chair And Keyboard
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that somebody has to test it, I tested it also (if I had not tested it I could not talk about it). I know about the jfs issues, because I also tested it, now jfs is a bit more stable (surely reiser4 will someday also be so) but I think that that notail issue is not a silly thing, it's a serius and major bug that is unforgivable, it's only my opinion, of course.

I don't want to flame anybody, each person knows well what is convenient for s/he, I know also. :D
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
...I think that that notail issue is not a silly thing, it's a serius and major bug that is unforgivable, it's only my opinion, of course...

Possibly, but as far as I know, it can't be reproduced (I set my fstab up like esromneb described), and as far as Namesys knows, it doesn't exist.
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a copy of my fstab, b/c it got destroyed, however I will try to recreate the line I had (once I boot back to gentoo and don't have midterms hanging over my head)
-ben
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know about all the mount options that are understood by your version of Reiser4 (they change over time), look at the authoritative source - the actual source code ;-). Every mount option is listed and documented in
Code:
/usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4/vfs_opts.c
in the function
Code:
reiser4_parse_options
(grep for it, should be around the middle of the file). You don't need to be able to read C code to understand what each option does, since most are documented by comments.
IIRC those are the correct file and function names. Not 100% sure (I don't bother with Reiser4 anymore but I remember playing around with the flush.written_threshold option in order to make it flush more often), but it should be that or something very similar.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, it looked something like this:
Code:

/dev/hda3            /               notail        noatime                 0 0

When the system would start a fsck error would pop up saying "can't find notail.fsck" or something like that.
-ben
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esromneb wrote:
Code:

When the system would start a fsck error would pop up saying "can't find notail.fsck" or something like that.
-ben

That's to be expected, but I'm curious what excactly you're calling corruption.

I think you're confused about the meaning of "filesystem corruption". Not being able to access your files with an incorrect configuration is user error, not corruption. If you were to fix your configuration, mount the filesystem, and find random binary data injected into text files, that would qualify as corruption. When people like me read your post, that's what we think happened, and we question the integrity of our data.
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was able to mount the system with my fstab like that. The corruption came when rc segfualed everytime I went to runlevel 3 or 6. That of course meant that to restart my computer I had to remount / as ro and then just hit the reset button :D
-ben
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

init or something in your rc scripts segfaulting is not corruption unless some scripts or binaries were changed by the filesystem. Did you or fsck actually spot any corruption?

The only time I've seen corruption on reiser4 was before the major AMD64 bug was fixed. reiser4 crashed, then after rebooting fsck identified corruption. fsck tried to fix the filesystem, but then when I tried to compile some kernel sources stored on the filesystem, it failed. So I ran "make mrproper" and diffed the m5sums with a known good kernel tree. I eventually tracked down some files that were missing, others that were null, and a few containing random binary data.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esromneb wrote:
Code:

-ben

Well if he managed to mount using that the bug is in mount not in the FS !!

If mount went ahead and mounted it as , lets guess ext2 or reiserfs, and the fsck kicked and started "repairing" it I'm not surprised if there were problems. But I certainly would not blame namesys.

More R4 knocking :roll:

@esromneb, if you do manage to reproduce what happened I'd be very interested to see just how that got mounted. Thanks for trying to give more details on this.

8)

BTW its /usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4/vfs_ops.c (not opts)
esromneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mention this, but I'm running amd64 in 32bit mode. Don't know if that has any effect.
Jake: when my rc started segfaulting left and right, I booted with a livecd and indeed fsck detected corruption. Actually now I can't remember weather I fsck'd first and then rc went or the other way around.

To complicate the problem I am running raid0 with dmraid. If you don't know what that is, it's basically software raid that runs through an onboard chip. Sometimes called fakeraid. The only real use is so you can dual boot with xp (so both operating systems use the same striping method and don't corrupt eachother) Can you imagine xp booting from /dev/md0 ???? So I don't know if my using dmraid matters or not, but yeah.

-ben

P.S: I get the feeling that some of you feel like reiser4 is unbreakable, is this true? Why is it still masked then?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S: I get the feeling that some of you feel like reiser4 is unbreakable, is this true? Why is it still masked then?

well you clearly did :!: You seem to have put together just about everything possibly availible likely to provoke a fs problem.

Code:
 sys-fs/reiser4progs :
        [   ] 1.0.1 (0)
        [M~ ] 1.0.2 (0)
        [   ] 1.0.3 (0)
        [M I] 1.0.4 (0)

So I conclude you were also running 1.0.4 , as you say unstable , rather one of the more tested versions as well as all the other madness and giving it options that are designated for reiserfs and a misconfigured fstab.

Probably not worth filing a bug report on that one.

It has to be said that you were not the one knocking R4 but may I suggest you get a little bit more familiar or perhaps just slow down a bit when trying to boldly go where no man has gone before. :wink:

I dont think R4 is infallible , it is still young. But for a humble athlon-XP system over-clocked to hell and on unsupported kernel patch sets I have found it to be very reliable. To the point where I just power-off my system rather than doing a clean shutdown.

For what you are attempting I would recommend ext3.

If you do get all that to work together please post how it can be done . It sounds impressive. 8O
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Well if he managed to mount using that the bug is in mount not in the FS !! ........ But I certainly would not blame namesys.

Nope, mount is just an interface to the kernel code that really "mounts" the drive. The reiser4 code by Namesys is which mounts that drive, so the bug is theirs. BTW im no kernel guru, so, if im wrong let me know :oops:

Gentree wrote:
well you clearly did :!: You seem to have put together just about everything possibly availible likely to provoke a fs problem.

I don't have time to "provoke a fs problem". when i tried reiser4 it broke, i did not do anything special with it. Im not allied with some people to break reiser4, it just broke and fucked all my data (nothing special, only some university works and some other stuff :evil:) so i dont like it. Please, forgive me for that. Oh! and forgive also the fstab designers. ;)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it just broke and fucked all my data (nothing special, only some university works and some other stuff
which was so unimportant you had no backups at all right?

Now you "hate" R4.

I think this says a lot about why some people get so hot under the collar and vitriollic about R4

Quote:
Nope, mount is just an interface to the kernel code that really "mounts" the drive.
So look back at his post tell me how mount would have called namesys code to mount that drive. As I said earlier it probably mounted it as ext2 and then tried to "correct" the errors.

As the posters freely admits he screwed up on the fstab entry. Why are we even talking about namesys here?

I'm going to cut from this thread before it becomes another (yet another) R4 blah blah. It does not seem to be helping the poster or going anywhere useful.

So .esromneb, if you do succeed your madness please post a new thread about what you manage to do. (and please dont mention arrfor. :wink: )
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Reiser4 love to think about: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-334757.html

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Quote:
it just broke and fucked all my data (nothing special, only some university works and some other stuff
which was so unimportant you had no backups at all right?
Now you "hate" R4.

First, i had backup for almost all the data, I lost 2 days of work. That's not the point, we are not talking about my backup habits. Reiser4 failed, period. Some other fs's also fails, but never that hard (except fat32, of course).

Also, i don't hate reiser4, i dont hate namesys. Maybe actually the thing has become better, i dont know, nor mind at all. I dont like it, but I could hardly hate namesys if I dont even feel hate for the monopolist behaviour of M$. I dont move on hate, i like peace, flowers & pink floyd. If I gave you any other impression im sorry, i dont want to start any war here. Sorry. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: