View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funeagle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to share a partition between linux and windows use a fat partition where both windows and linux can write to.
djvman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is about the IG2: How to install Gentoo in a Win XP/NT config, posted by plate.
plate wrote:
Until Linux support for NTFS emerges from the experimental stage that is reportedly going to kill your disk before you can say "wobble", you will need to resize the disk before you boot the Gentoo installation CD. I used Partition Magic 7.0 for that, mainly because I couldn't find anything else that could do this for NTFS partitions:

1. Resize the C: drive

PM makes this very easy, just click on the resize button and let the wizard take over. All you need to decide upon is the size of the XP partition you want to keep, everything else is automatic. You need to reboot, and the PM script then neatly reslices your disk.

well i have been testing SystemRescueCDROM distro, wich comes with qtparted, with this tool i have resize with no problem winXP installation with NTFS.
So maybe its time for make full testing and add it to the gentoo documentation, or maybe better, make a gentoo live cd with it.
aleron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've foobar'd this somehow. I reinstalled gentoo, and this time I used the grub method detailed by plate (with my partition information), but when I boot the gentoo option from the NT boot loader, I end up at a grub prompt. I don't see any warning messages, but I just have this grub prompt. What did this noob do wrong, or omit?

/edit
I've managed to load the kernel and boot the system by issuing the right kernel command followed by boot. But surely I left this information out of grub when I set it up manually like plate detailed (vs. using a grub config file). How do I remedy this in a manual grub install?

Last edited by aleron on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thread-necro

lets see yr grub-conf as well as the output of fdisk -l /dev/sda or whatever the node-name for the device you installed window/linux onto

Using NTLDR is a neat way to boot linux (I have todo it at work since IT say I can't mess with their install :D )
aleron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, my partitions (250gb sata drive):

Code:
   Device Boot    Start        End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1      24027   192996846    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2         24028      24040      104422+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3         24041      24527     3911827+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sda4         24528      30401    47182905   83  Linux

I have no grub conf file, I just did it manually like plate did in the FAQ. As far as what I did though..

Code:
~# grub --no-floppy
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0,1)
grub> quit

Then I dd'd just like he did, through it up on my ftp, then modified my boot.ini file appropriately. However, after I left the house earlier, it occurred to me that I was probably supposed to really do something like this with GRUB (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Code:
~# grub --no-floppy
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0,1)
grub> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.20-r8
grub> boot
grub> quit

Would that be correct?
jaford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new to gentoo/linux. I have a million questions. I have a MSvistas machine.
I used gentoo livecd. It didn't ask me to designate a partition. And, when I reboot, the option to
load gentoo instead of vista doesn't show in the boot options menu. Would someone lead me
out of the dark! JWF
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: