Tracking hard lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Tracking hard lockups Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm writting an openGL app, using glut as the wrapper. This is something I've done many times before. For some reason every now & then my app locks up & freezes gentoo hard. I can't kill X or switch to a console. I have an nVidia Geforce2 GTS running nVidia binary drivers.
I could change to the nv driver, but I'd like to keep my acceleration. What my question is : are there any logging systems I can enable or trace through to find out what's going on?

Also - uname -a gives

Linux workstation 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 #17 SMP Sat Dec 14 01:57:10 NZDT 2002 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

This is the first problem of this sort I have seen (& I haven't upgraded any system stuff lately)

Cheers
Brad
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe compiling magic SysRq support into your kernel could help.
jivera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problems actually... my problems seem mostly when I'm working with gedit (but it's possible it's just a coincidence).

I have a GeForce2 MX400 (PCI) and Athlon XP (wasn't at one time there some fix people were recommending for GeForce/Athlon users? I never had any problems at the time so I don't remember what the symptoms were or the cure and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been fixed since then but still...).
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tracking hard lockups Reply with quote

BradB wrote:
Hi there, I'm writting an openGL app, using glut as the wrapper. This is something I've done many times before. For some reason every now & then my app locks up & freezes gentoo hard. I can't kill X or switch to a console. I have an nVidia Geforce2 GTS running nVidia binary drivers.
I could change to the nv driver, but I'd like to keep my acceleration. What my question is : are there any logging systems I can enable or trace through to find out what's going on?

Also - uname -a gives

Linux workstation 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 #17 SMP Sat Dec 14 01:57:10 NZDT 2002 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

This is the first problem of this sort I have seen (& I haven't upgraded any system stuff lately)

Cheers
Brad

My experience in this area points toward memory management.

Have you tried to run the program in a debugger?
If you can identify the functions that are active at the time of the lockup, you may be able to single-step through the function in order to see at which line the lock-up occurs.

Erik
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. To ebrostig: this could be mem management, but I'm not doing anything fancy - I don't even alloc off the heap - and in the past all mem errors usually exhibit as segfaults.
I compiled magic SysRq into my kernel & tested that it worked. The problem happened again & the SysRq commands did not work, they didn't kill the process or sync or reboot. Strangely enough while I was playing around the app started again for a second. As I waited the app continued to "burst" - maybe 0.5 of a second activity every 10 secs or so. I was still unable to switch consoles, magic SysRq, etc.
I've now setup sshd so I can open a remote console from my laptop - is there anyway I can pipe kernel messages to this console so I can further trace what is going on?
I'm also planning on
1) using nv driver rather than the nVidia binaries
2) vanilla kernel
but I'm away for a while, so I won't report back for a week or two.

Cheers
Brad
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: