2.6.11.7-dark4: Pitch Black
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: 2.6.11.7-dark4: Pitch Black Reply with quote

Well, here's dark + staircase11 for all you folk who are just dieing to try it out.

Code:
/* dark-sources
 * Release: 2.6.11.7-dark4
 * Name: Pitch Black
 * Maintainer: predatorfreak
 * Apply over: 2.6.11
 * Highlights: staircase 11
 */

/* Base patches */
patch-2.6.11.7.bz2 /* Linux 2.6.11.7 */
patch-ac7.patch /* The latest ac patchset, removed 2.6.11.7 and config_hz */
patch-kj.patch /* Kernel janitors patchset, removed patches causing xfs problems */

/* Staircase CPU scheduler and related stuff */
2.6.11-staircase-10.7.diff /* Staircase 10.7 rollup */
s10.7_s11-r2.diff /* Update Staircase 10.7 to 11, dark version */
schedrange.diff /* Infrastructure for more policies */
schediso2.12.diff /* SCHED_ISO for soft realtime scheduling */
schedbatch2.7.diff /* SCHED_BATCH for idle scheduling */

/* CFQ Timeslice (CFQ v3) */
cfq-ts-21-rollup.diff /* CFQ-TS-21 with all the fixes */
isobatch_ionice2.diff /* ISO/BATCH ionice values */
rt_ionice.diff /* Realtime ionice value */

/* Fixes/Cleanup */
blockdev-mnt-racefix.diff /* Blockdev mount race fix */
buffer-overflow-fixs.diff /* A few buffer overflow fixes */
fbdev-cleanup-and-fix.diff /* fbdev cleanups and fixes */
properly-share-process-and-session-keyrings-with-clone_thread.patch /* No comment */
mm-fixes.diff /* fixes for files in the mm/ directory */
cant-unmount-bad-inode.patch /* Fix unmount problems */
smpbootc-cleanups.patch /* SMP cleanups */
vmlinux-fix-physical-addrs-all.diff /* Fix some stuff in vmlinux */
run-softirqs-on-proper-processor-on-offline.patch /* softirq fixes */
mtrr.patch /* MTRR support fixes */
clean-up-and-unify-asm-resourceh-files.patch /* Clean up and unify resource headers */
copy_pte_range-latency-fix.patch /* Minor latency fix */
tty-output-lossage-fix.patch /* TTY Output lossage fix */
oops-fix.diff /* Some oops fixes */
sys_setpriority-euid-semantics-fix.patch /* A fix for sys_setpriority */
readahead-cleanups.diff /* read ahead cleanups */

/* Hardware support changes/additions */
libata-dev-2.6_03-03-2005.patch /* new SATA drivers and changes */
skge-netdev-2.6.11-mm4.patch /* SKGE network driver, sk98lin replacement from 2.6.11-mm4 */
sk98lin-8.16.2.3.patch /* SysKonnect sk98lin network driver 8.16.2.3 */

/* Additional features */
realtime-lsm.diff /* Realtime-LSM for true realtime scheduling for non-superusers */
mwIII.diff /* Mapped watermark III */
badram-2.6.11.diff /* BadRAM patch, makes the kernel work around bad spots in RAM */
kmalloc-account.patch /* Print memory allocation information to /proc/kmalloc */
execshield.diff /* execshield-nx for buffer overflow protection */

/* Other */
slabtune.diff /* Slab tuning from -mjb */
irqbal-fast.diff /* IRQ Balance fast from -mjb */
swapspace-layout-improvements.patch /* Swap space layout changes */
oom-vm-changes.diff /* Some minor OOM/VM updates/changes */

diff link: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/darkpatches/patch-2.6.11.7-dark4.patch.bz2?download
unsupported reiser4 addon: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/darkpatches/reiser4.diff?download
ALPS Tapping fix from gentoo-sources: http://www.dcaf-security.org/2900_alps-tapping.patch

The ALPS tapping fix will be merged in dark5.

To SMP users: reverse this patch http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11/2.6.11-mm1/broken-out/smpbootc-cleanups.patch

Fix some typo's in the notes.

Last edited by predatorfreak on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, pretty, and thanks for the link for ALPS-tapping!
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
Code:

:? "dark version"?

What's the difference between Con's s11 and this? :?:

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

kernel/sched.c: In function `sched_init':
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: `cache_decay_ticks' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

Well I forgot to remove SMP which I didn't need :oops:
Compiling now.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:
Code:

:? "dark version"?

What's the difference between Con's s11 and this? :?:

the dark version is simply fitted to deal with the slight changes I made to staircase so it would work with dark.

steve_d555 wrote:
Code:

kernel/sched.c: In function `sched_init':
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: `cache_decay_ticks' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/sched.c:4795: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

Well I forgot to remove SMP which I didn't need :oops:
Compiling now.

I'll look into this problem and ask con about this, see if he knows a quick fix.

vipernicus wrote:
Oooo, pretty, and thanks for the link for ALPS-tapping!

No problem.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I know you have talked about this before, but I wanted to know why you dont just include reiser4 by default in your patchset, reiser4 may not be a stable choice for a FS for some people, but the code isnt broken, and it dosent break anything (that I've ever heard of/experienced) in terms of other patches. Its not like you have to compile it into your kernel if you dont use it.

I have no problem applying a patch or selecting a USE varriable for an ebuild, but it just seems like something that deserves to be a standard kernel feature, its marked [experimental] so use is already forwarned
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
hey I know you have talked about this before, but I wanted to know why you dont just include reiser4 by default in your patchset, reiser4 may not be a stable choice for a FS for some people, but the code isnt broken, and it dosent break anything (that I've ever heard of/experienced) in terms of other patches. Its not like you have to compile it into your kernel if you dont use it.

I have no problem applying a patch or selecting a USE varriable for an ebuild, but it just seems like something that deserves to be a standard kernel feature, its marked [experimental] so use is already forwarned

This is more of a policy/personal conflict then anything else, I won't include it directly because reiser4 is still in very active development and is considered to be experimental. I am focused towards my patchset being stable on all levels, meaning what I include is more cerified to work. With reiser4 I can't give that kind of certification, so I refuse to include it by default due too this. There's also the fact that I can't test it, because I don't have any reiser4 partitions and don't plan to make any for testing.

On a side note, 2.6.11.7-dark5 is already sitting here, the changes are the removal of all cleanup's (including kj) and the addition of the alps tapping fix. This also fixes the smp compile problems.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:

the dark version is simply fitted to deal with the slight changes I made to staircase so it would work with dark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This way i'd have to call EVERY patch ever the "nitro version" ROFL
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

predatorfreak wrote:

This is more of a policy/personal conflict then anything else, I won't include it directly because reiser4 is still in very active development and is considered to be experimental. I am focused towards my patchset being stable on all levels, meaning what I include is more cerified to work. With reiser4 I can't give that kind of certification, so I refuse to include it by default due too this. There's also the fact that I can't test it, because I don't have any reiser4 partitions and don't plan to make any for testing.

Sounds like influence by Karen McTrish aka Carmen McFish :P
wing
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

On a side note, 2.6.11.7-dark5 is already sitting here, the changes are the removal of all cleanup's (including kj) and the addition of the alps tapping fix. This also fixes the smp compile problems.

reiser4-for-2.6.11-3.patch.gz patches cleanly on this patchset, just thought you might like to know.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wing wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

reiser4-for-2.6.11-3.patch.gz patches cleanly on this patchset, just thought you might like to know.

Yes, good too know because my reiser4 addon is quite out of date, heck I haven't updated it since I created it.

Tiger683 wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This way i'd have to call EVERY patch ever the "nitro version" ROFL
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

predatorfreak wrote:

Sounds like influence by Karen McTrish aka Carmen McFish :P

Its Ciaran McCreesh and I will simply tag my changes with -rX, yes there was an s10.7_s11-r1.diff...... it was just screwy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: