Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A Partition Suddenly Stopped Working (Bad Sector)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowMetis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: A Partition Suddenly Stopped Working (Bad Sector) Reply with quote

This is a big problem for me. The partition that stopped working was the partition I store my home directory on. I can barely get some things going without it. There was nothing irreplacable on it, but it will be a huge hassle to restore it. This is what I get from 'dmesg | tail' after trying to mount it.
Code:

hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=42106382, high=2, low=8551950, sector=42106382
ide: failed opcode was: unkown
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 42106382
EXT3-fs: can't read group descriptor 1

If anyone can help me to fix this partition, it will be HUGELY appreciated.

EDIT:
Upon stumbling around google I see that this means I have a bad sector. However, I still don't know how to fix it. If anyone knows anything about fixing bad sectors, please help.
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try badblocks on the partition when it's unmounted and if that doesn't seem to do anything, consider taking back the harddrive and/or backing up all your data and migrating to another drive because that one might be failing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: