Cellphone with Callendar functions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Cellphone with Callendar functions Reply with quote

Hi,

About a year ago i bought myself an iPaq. At first I was actually happy, I carried it around and i updated my tasks in the evening. Soon though the fun was over, the thing felt way to big, it was annoying, even after a lot of practice i still couldn't write on that damn thing, etc. So eventually I droped it and went back to my 'forget about all appointments' mode ;)

Now, I am thinking of getting myself a cellphone. And I hope to get one that has some sort of callendar function in it. Since I now have a Linux only computer, I am also worried about not being able to acces that thing. Earlier i was at a T-Mobile store (only cuz its right next to my work) and tried to find a cellphone, but everytime, I asked this guy about connecting to a computer, he showed me, how to connect to the internet .... this went on for a little while, so i eventually ended up leaving :-/

So here is what i am looking for :) a cellphone with a callendar function that can syncronize with my PC's contacts/callendars

Dennis
virtual.adept
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Nokia 6310, or the 6310i with Java. They both have Calendar functions, and AFAIK they should be able to synchronize with your Computer. But there ist one drawback to the 6310, it has a build-in bluetooth module, irda and you can connect via datacable. I bought an Acer USB-Bluetooth Module for my PC, but it didn't work for synching. I could use the 6310 as a modem, but not access the handys other functions. After some googling and looking around in nokias bbs i found out that it only works with original nokia BT Hardware, which of course costs much more than comparable products. So i bought an usb-irda adapter wich also didn't work. But since it works perfect with my siemens s35i, it has to be the nokias problem again. So all this got me more than a little pissed with the nokia phone, and the companys policy about not informing their customers about what their handys can do, and what not (They always tell that the 6310 has full Bluetooth compatibility). If you can live with not using Bluetooth or irda (allthough that may work for you, i didn't for me) it's a really nice phone.
Bye,
Sacha
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ericssion T65 (very similar to the T66, 68 and 68i), which connects fine to linux, either GPRS or standard dial-up. It does have calendaring, and Contacts (but no adresses - phone nos only) which can theoretically be synchronised with linux.

I've used openobex to read and write vcards/vtasks/vcal entries but am still in the process of writing software that will allow me to synchronise this with a linux pim (I'm working towards getting it to work with Evolution) I reckon I've got about a weeks' worth of work to do to get it functional, unfortunately I haven't had a spare week for a long time...

I will make it free/open source, but typically these projects don't get much help from other programmers until they are at least 90% working. So I'm going to wait until I can at least get the phone talking correctly to the backend DB.
alraune
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an ericssion T65 (very similar to the T66, 68 and 68i), which ...
I've used openobex to read and write vcards/vtasks/vcal entries but am still in the process of writing software that will allow me to synchronise this with a linux pim (I'm working towards getting it to work with Evolution)...

I own a t68i and try to use obexftp or flexmem over openobex for 4 days now.. :-( getting really tired. which tool did you use with openobex to read and write vcards... etc?

I get a conection over bluetooth and rfcomm. But all tools seem to fail. Im using openobex 1.0.0 !

A lot of questions.. looking forward to see your software :-)

by alex
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually your window manager has nothing to do with your bluetooth connection
alraune
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis wrote:
usually your window manager has nothing to do with your bluetooth connection

? Did anybody talk about his Windowmanager ? btw if it is interessting im using evilwm :-) whatever this has to do with bluetooth :-).

bye Alex
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it with bluetooth, but have used the cable connection which works fine using the obex_test routine included in obex_apps. I've also found an application which does almost exactly what I'm trying to do. Its called multisync, I've had some success with it but have trouble getting a reliable connection to my phone with it.

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: