kernel on the sunblade 100
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: kernel on the sunblade 100 Reply with quote

Greetings,
I just started my first gentoo install ever on my sunblade 100 yesterday, and I'm approaching the point in which I'm going to have to compile the kernel. I've done this many times with other linux distro's on x86 hardware. What I'm not sure if is what modules I need to enable to get support for the various hardware that comes stock on the system. Could any of you give me a list of things I should be including in my module list? I also read on the sparc install page that I had to use the vanilla flavor of the kernel needs to be used bacuase the gentoo sys-kernel breaks on sparc. Is this still true? Thanks for your help.

Exited about the discovery of this os and eagerly awaiting its installation,
mrgalihad.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Configuring a Sun Blade really isn't all that hard actually. It's a pretty simple machine. If you've done this plenty of times on x86 machinesm then this shouldn't be a problem for you. Some minor things you'll need to realize are the Sun Blade will need USB, as this is where input devices get connected to (keyboard, mouse, etc..), plus I'll post below some noteworthy hardware selections. It's up to you to determine what else you need.

Code:
General Setup:
<*> Openprom tree appears in /proc/openprom

Console Drivers:
[*] PROM console
Frame-buffer support -->
  <*>   ATI Mach64 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
  [*]     Mach64 GX support (EXPERIMENTAL)
  [*]     Mach64 CT/VT/GT/LT (incl. 3D RAGE) support
  [*]   PCI framebuffers
  <*>     ATI Mach64 display support

Misc Linux/SPARC drivers  --->
<*> /dev/openprom device support
<*> Mostek real time clock support
<*> Siemens SAB82532 serial support
<M> OBP Flash Device support

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
  IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
  [*]   Generic PCI IDE chipset support
  [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
  [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available
  [*]     ALI M15x3 chipset support
  [*]     NS87415 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
((Include this if you want, or if you need it))

Input core support
((Check off everything in here))

USB support
<*>   OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
[...]
--- USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
<*>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
[*]     HID input layer support
[*]     /dev/hiddev raw HID device support

That's some of the basic Hardware. If you're unsure about the stuff I've selected, then use the help features of menuconfig to see what that feature is about. Also, make sure you go through and prune all branches of menuconfig. The default sparc64 configuration includes a ton of useless drivers built as modules or built into the kernel, and removing these will decrease the build time (for modules) and decrease the kernel size. Make *sure* your kernel stays under ~3.4MB in size, as SILO cannot load anything larger than 3.4MB. Unlike x86, where you used "make bzImage", in sparc64, you will be using "make vmlinux", and afterwards, it's good practice to gzip the kernel image via "gzip -v9 vmlinux", as the kernel image will be outputted in the current directory, NOT in arch/i386/boot like x86 bzImages are.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

--Kumba
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. thanks for your reply I'll let you know how it goes, if I ever get there, for some reason it seems to have started to compile gcc and glibc over again, I think maybe the version was updated since yesterday or somethin and it might be updating itself. I don't know. before I ran the bootstrap.sh scricpt I had changed the CHOST to sparc-sun4u-linux-gnu from sparc-unknown-linux-gnu. maybe that had something to do with why its building twice, as I know have /usr/sparc-sun4u-linux-gnu and /usr/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu directories. Oh well. Other than that it seems to be going well.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be using sparc-unknown-linux-gnu. It's the one I know works, although some people have tried sparc-gentoo-linux-gnu for kicks. Just make sure you don't use sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu, as that will make the system attempt to build 64bit stuff, which won't work very well (sparc devs are still playing with that area)

--Kumba
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, oops. Oh well. What implications will it have on my system if I leave it like that? I would think as long as its the same it should be okay. Otherwise I guess I'll have to start over. :? Or can I just change it back to unknown, do an emerge system and have it rebuild everything again?

I thought I would change it because of the following lines in the make.conf file:

Code:
# Sparc Host Settings
# ===================
#
# If you have one of these architectures...
#
# Sun4c: SPARC Station: SLC, ELC, IPC, IPX, server 1, server 1+, server 2
# Sun4d: SPARCCenter 2000
# Sun4m: classic, LC, LX, station 4, station/server 5, station/server 10
#   station/server 20, JavaStation 1, 10, E, JavaEngine 1
# Sun4u:
#   UltraSPARC Sbus based: Ultra1, Ultra2, Ultra1E, Ultra2E, Netra i,
#   Enterprise 1, 2, 150, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 6000, 6500, 10000
#
#   UltraSPARC PCI based: SPARCengine CP1400, CP1500
#
#   UltraSPARC PCI based: Ultra30, UltraAXe, UltraAXi, UltraAXmp, Ultra5,
#   Ultra10, Ultra60, Ultra80, SunBlade 100, SunBlade 1000, Netra X1,
#   Netra T series, Enterprise 250, 450
#
CHOST=sparc-unknown-linux-gnu

where you change the "unkown" to the label your system falls under. maybe we should update the docs somewhere so this isn't confusing.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure. I doubt it'll cause any harm. "sparc-unknown-linux-gnu" is what I used and what worked for me, hence why I'm fine just leaving it as is. It's mainly used in the configuring phase of various packages to determine how to build your packages by setting the host, build, and target environments. You can check this by unpacking the source tarball of any common package and looking for a "config.sub" file, and execute it like this: "./config.sub sparc-linux", and it'll expand "sparc-linux" to "sparc-unknown-linux-gnu". I tested "sparc-sun4u-linux-gnu", and it didn't seem to mind, but with so many packages gentoo has to build, one can never be sure.

--Kumba
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so I made my kernel, but the size thing has me worried, is it 3.4MB compressed or un-compressed? Its 3.7 MB uncompressed right now. but compress its about 1.4MB....
calmtom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be less than 3.6MB uncompressed or it'll be too big. Even the slightest bit over 3.6, and you'll get an error saying the kernel won't fit into the memory space at boot.
mrgalihad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer, back to the kernel compile 8O
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this 3.6MB limitation is PROM related, or a SILO limitation? Some kernel hackers are gonna have to get ingenious to get around this....Even building my usual 2.4 config against a 2.5.x tree once, I wound up with a 3.6+MB kernel, and all the nonessential stuff was built as modules anyways. If this is to be the trend of 2.5/2.6, then something will need to be done.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: