Gentoo Forums : A proposal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Gentoo Forums : A proposal Reply with quote

Let me start by saying that the gentoo forums are the best part about gentoo. They have never failed to help me solve any problem. The people are generally friendly even when we disagree in OTW. The Gentoo forums have served as a launchpad for many projects that help the community (The WoW wine guide, KDE CVS binaries, Breakmygentoo.net, the various kernel patch sets). My heartfelt thanks goes out to all those that make this community what it is. However, like any community there are always issues that need to be addressed.

1. OTW is a bit of a battlefield.
2. performance issues (These seem to have been resolved lately)
3. Searching can suck!

My suggestion to improve the situation is to have several side-by-side phpBB installations as follows:

1. The main forums : ie support. This is the primary purpose of these forums and as as such should have the most attention paid to it.

2. Non-English forums. These too are very important forums. However, when I search , a post answering my question in Russian doesn't do me any good. However, everytime I search the server waists resources returning non-English posts. Furthermore, I have too sift through all the results. Non-English forums should be in a separate installation.

3. Non-support forums. These are the forums feedback, gentoo-chat etc forums.

4. OTW. Enough said.

All the forums would of course share a user/login database. Forums.Gentoo.org would have a page linking to the 4 different forums. This might take a bit of working with phpBB's table prefixes but I think it could be done with relatively minimal work. Splitting the forums up should help in several ways. First, the database could be managed with finer granularity. For example, in the support and non-English forums a thread could last indefinetly while in OTW a thread only lasts a week before being deleted. Second, searches would be faster. In OTW search could be disabled. While the database search tables would be smaller for the support forums. Third, it English users wouldn't see non-English posts (unless they wanted too) and vice-versa. Fourth, we can keep OTW while not impacting those who need support.

I think OTW, while kind of hectic, is a fun place to hang out in and chat. I understand that supporting our users need to come first. If OTW is on a separate installation we can let users do/say whatever they want in OTW. If users step out of line in the other sections the admins can ban their ass! Bottom line I don't want to see OTW go as has been suggested. On the other hand I don't want to see it interfere with the primary purpose of the forums.

Is this idea way out there? Comments, criticism welcome.
egberts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the OTW, its pain, an overhead, and a burden for Gentoo moderators.
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let all the OTW people loose in the support forums? At least I know what I'm getting into when I read something from OTW.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenX wrote:
And let all the OTW people loose in the support forums? At least I know what I'm getting into when I read something from OTW.

I agree. If OTW is disbanded the moderators are going to have a hell of a time keeping people in line in the other forums. At least at first. After awhile people will leave for somewhere else to call someone else a retard :-)
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Forums : A proposal Reply with quote

iamlarryboy wrote:
2. performance issues (These seem to have been resolved lately)

Other than server downtimes I didn't notice any performance problems. Can you elaborate on this?

Quote:
3. Searching can suck!

Kind of true. Improving the search function is not trivial though, especially with performance in mind.

Quote:
My suggestion to improve the situation is to have several side-by-side phpBB installations as follows:

1. The main forums : ie support. This is the primary purpose of these forums and as as such should have the most attention paid to it.

2. Non-English forums. These too are very important forums. However, when I search , a post answering my question in Russian doesn't do me any good. However, everytime I search the server waists resources returning non-English posts. Furthermore, I have too sift through all the results. Non-English forums should be in a separate installation.

3. Non-support forums. These are the forums feedback, gentoo-chat etc forums.

4. OTW. Enough said.

All the forums would of course share a user/login database. Forums.Gentoo.org would have a page linking to the 4 different forums. This might take a bit of working with phpBB's table prefixes but I think it could be done with relatively minimal work. Splitting the forums up should help in several ways. First, the database could be managed with finer granularity. For example, in the support and non-English forums a thread could last indefinetly while in OTW a thread only lasts a week before being deleted. Second, searches would be faster. In OTW search could be disabled. While the database search tables would be smaller for the support forums. Third, it English users wouldn't see non-English posts (unless they wanted too) and vice-versa. Fourth, we can keep OTW while not impacting those who need support.

Well, managing four installations instead of one is mainteance hell. Make changes to one, apply them to three others. And once you split them up this way, people start to complain: some want to see threads from OTW as well, some all english plus the german threads, some...
Better would be an option to mask forums in search results, which was already been discussed before anywhere else.

Quote:

I think OTW, while kind of hectic, is a fun place to hang out in and chat. I understand that supporting our users need to come first. If OTW is on a separate installation we can let users do/say whatever they want in OTW. If users step out of line in the other sections the admins can ban their ass! Bottom line I don't want to see OTW go as has been suggested. On the other hand I don't want to see it interfere with the primary purpose of the forums.

OTW was discussed elsewhere. No need to discuss again (see the OTW is going to be removed thread in OTW for example).
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the suggestions.

Personally, the idea of creating separate forums seems to me like it could be avoided entirely if the search engine were better able to handle a support forums environment. phpbb wasn't originally designed to be a forum specifically for technical support. It's a lot more general purpose than that. As a result the structure of the search engine and even the posts themselves makes searching difficult. A number of improvements have been done to make the search engine much, much better than the default. Really though, if we could improve searching speed and accuracy even more, a lot of the reasons you mentioned for implementing multiple forums would be corrected.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:

Personally, the idea of creating separate forums seems to me like it could be avoided entirely if the search engine were better able to handle a support forums environment. phpbb wasn't originally designed to be a forum specifically for technical support. It's a lot more general purpose than that. As a result the structure of the search engine and even the posts themselves makes searching difficult. A number of improvements have been done to make the search engine much, much better than the default. Really though, if we could improve searching speed and accuracy even more, a lot of the reasons you mentioned for implementing multiple forums would be corrected.

Ya. Search is a hard problem. I am working on my own forum software and coding the search function is by far the most challenging bit.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamlarryboy wrote:
masseya wrote:

Ya. Search is a hard problem. I am working on my own forum software and coding the search function is by far the most challenging bit.

Could you somehow redirect a search to a competent search engine, such as Altavista?
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega21 wrote:
Could you somehow redirect a search to a competent search engine, such as Altavista?

Forums are way too dynamic to rely on a search engine to find acurate results. That is also assuming that your site is large enough to attract the attention of a major search engine.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I personally avoid using the forum's phpBB search function except for search_id={unanswered,egosearch}. I use Google. Much more accurate. All you have to do is add
Code:
site:forums.gentoo.org
to the search keywords, and voila.
Additionally, one can use the intitle: and inbody: operators to filter down results with almost pinpoint accuracy.
How about adding a Google search box on the search page? http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
gentsquash
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of moocha's points (including
the search_id={unanswered,egosearch} part).

If the GentooForums search page had a Google re-direction that
simply adjoined-in the
Code:
site:forums.gentoo.org

to the search (and had a documentation-link to Google on how
Google uses AND/OR/etc), that would already be a tremendous aid.
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be simple to improve the search: There is an option to search only one forum in the search page. Isn't it possible to make a UNION of the results from multiple searches? I mean, search excluding a few forums, selected by the user when searching. Or maybe, including a check box besides the 'Quick Search' to search only the current forum. After all, even if they talk about the X server in the games forum, it won't probably solve my questions regarding how to make it work again after a emerge -u world, and if I'm having problems with the X server, I'll read the Desktop Enviroments forum, not the other ones.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: