View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: PERC RAID Adapter Issues Reply with quote

I have used this adapter for 2 Gentoo installs (1.2 and 1.4-rc2) on a Dell PowerEdge 2300 system (old and slow, but I got hardware RAID for free!). The issue is that you need to have the megaraid and sd_mod modules loaded prior to mkfs
Code:
 modprobe megaraid
modprobe sd_mod
That should give you the friendlier /dev/sdx devices. The grub setup will be just as described in the installation documention. Just be sure to configure the RAID logical drives prior and make sure you have the controllers BIOS settings correct. With the disk drive/controller issues out of the way... Next! :D Gentoo wants you!

-laika
dwilson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: redhat Reply with quote

Default bootloader for redhat is currently grub. I never tried Redhat before 8.0 (yes, noob alert) so I'm not sure what it used to be.
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this is definately a hardware issue. When I had this system made to my specs , Dell refused to put any Linux product on it as the hardware would not support it. I made some consessions in the config at purchase time and ended up with XP anyway. The moment I got it on my door step, I hauled the monster in the house and installed Red Hat. It worked with a couple minor tweaks. I had to throw the gentoo instructions completely out the window just to get what little I could to work and I scanned the posts to see if others had a similar system or components. I have been using Red Hat since 5.0 and I am very good with it. I am afraid I will have to give up on Gentoo... Maybe on my next system. I don't think that will be for a while as this machine almost sank me financially ... although... I suppose I could cluster a bunch of smaller machines...

Oh , well...
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. I un-quit again. My fortune-cookie said I should give it an other shot.
My fortune cookie said " Others call inevitable that which they are too lazy to change.". It looks like Gentoo went in this time but I get error 17 in grub. I can get back in by using the install disk and following the instructions up to the part of chroot. If I can get this straight then the rest should be cake. What the HELL is error 17? I think I misconfigured something although I followed the grub instructions to the letter. I would hate like hell to use the install disk and follow the steps to chroot every time I want in. Any ideas?

Lucky numbers - 20 26 16 53 47 51
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google gave me this:
Quote:
17 : "Invalid device requested"

This error is returned if a device string is recognizable but does not fall under the other device errors.

And this:
Quote:
17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

Seems like laika's tip might help? It is a harddisk/partition problem, so it probably will be the RAID not working correctly.
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the other threads. The problem is reiserfs. Grub does not like reiserfs. I am looking for a work around or maybe I could just use lilo. I think maybe I will try a different partition type and scheme. I heard xfs has a data loss problem but I may try it any way. I might as well as I have been at it this long. Either way it will have to wait till the weekend.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember to do the following?
installdoc wrote:
if ReiserFS then mount with -o notail

I don't use ReiserFS, but it shouldn't be a problem as it is being recommended in the Install Docs...
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used -o notail. Now I used xfs and #$@%!!! I almost had it.

I actually got grub, My example Gentoo Linux... at this point I was so excited , I almost soiled myself. Then "IT" happened!! 8O WTF!! Unable to mount root and it hangs like an ellevator-fart. I was so pleased with myself up to that point. I followed everthing exactly and no errors and POOF!!! It all goes to hell.

I think something is pointed in the wrong direction some where .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: