sun disk label and ide on sata for U60
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzoster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: sun disk label and ide on sata for U60 Reply with quote

Hello,

I am attempting to have a 300gb Segate IDE disk (ST3300831A) connected to a ide converter kit conected to a sata raid card.
After tinkering with the kernel i can see the disk as /dev/sdc! so it works.

My current problem deals with the sun disk label. I want to partition up the hard drive, but i cant seem to get the full size of the drive.

I was wondering if someone can help me find these settings to make the sun disk label in linux. ( i assume using fdisk , is there another way?)
Also is it possible to bypass the sun disk label? Just use regualr x86 formatting?

I am very stuck there is not much out there concerning the sun disk label and disks. The segate website has some information about the drive but my amount is still off "i guessed on the stuff i did not know"

Thank you in advance,

-Dzoster
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dzoster, I had the same problem partitioning a new HD as well. The easiest way around it, is to use something like an OpenBSD install CD and partitioning your system with that. The kernel & fdisk on the LiveCD are limiting to 16384 cylinders for some weird reason.
dzoster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: hmm interesting Reply with quote

I have a question, will the open bsd install cd see my sata controller. i have only scsi in my machine i use the sata controller to connect to my ide drive. if this is possible i will be all set. now will the fdisk utility on the open bsd create a sun disk label for me, i do not know some of the wierd numbers involved. :(
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm interesting Reply with quote

dzoster wrote:
I have a question, will the open bsd install cd see my sata controller. i have only scsi in my machine i use the sata controller to connect to my ide drive. if this is possible i will be all set. now will the fdisk utility on the open bsd create a sun disk label for me, i do not know some of the wierd numbers involved. :(

Yes, the OpenBSD CD *will* create the SUN disklabel for you. This is not OS-specific btw; any SUN will need a partition with a SUN disklabel for it to be able to boot properly. I cannot say if it will recognize your SATA controller however; you might wanna try looking that up before giving it a go. Alternatively, you could just try FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc. until you find an OS that does ;)
dzoster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any SUN will need a partition with a SUN disklabel for it to be able to boot properly.

This is a strictly storage drive there is no need to boot off this disk. does this change things?

I think it still needs a sun disk label for the machine to use the drive to its full capacity. Am i right wrong?

i am looking at the install cd's now, i hope they have my driver.

Thanks For responding so fast!!!!!
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzoster wrote:
Quote:
any SUN will need a partition with a SUN disklabel for it to be able to boot properly.

This is a strictly storage drive there is no need to boot off this disk. does this change things?

I think it still needs a sun disk label for the machine to use the drive to its full capacity. Am i right wrong?

i am looking at the install cd's now, i hope they have my driver.

Thanks For responding so fast!!!!!

Not for storage, of course. What the SUN disklabel does, is make the disk recognizable for the OpenBoot firmware. Good luck!
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind if you make another type of disk label on the drive to enable support for it in the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: