Quick Search: in
A way to unmerge old packages the easy way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: A way to unmerge old packages the easy way Reply with quote

I've posted a script in Tips'n'Tricks which unmerges old builds where you forgot to do so yourself (usually because of somewhat overzealous use of the emerge --update command) :roll: . I would very much appreciate some feedback on it ... thanks!
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I am overlooking something, but doesn't
Code:
emerge clean
do exactly that?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Well ... Reply with quote

It should but ... on my box I have been running it on a regular basis. However, when I was browsing my list of builds using both emerge -s and qpkg -I, I noticed that some were showing up to have as many as three previous revisions installed 8O . Clearly, the combination of running emerge --update and emerge clean hadn't been doing the job for me fully. It's possible, perhaps, that this could be associated with (a) limitations of the earlier versions of portage (b) my earlier of performing --update very frequently. Perhaps this has not been a problem for recent installers of Gentoo, nevertheless these have been my observations. Apart from that, all of my Gentoo-related problems have been minor.

The Portage User Guide still states under "3. Upgrading Packages" that the way to upgrade a package is to emerge it, then to explicity unmerge an older build (i.e. by build name, with version number). This further implies that to 100% cleanly unlink older files, you need to unmerge each older build in turn. No implication is made that the --update command has quite the same effect, and it hasn't in my case. I noticed this very recently, and knocked up my effort pretty quickly because I wanted a cleaner base on which to recompile some new builds with different optimisations and it would have been tedious to peform these steps manually :)

Has emerge clean been working fully for you?
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought that
Code:
emerge clean
was removing all the old packages, but perhaps it was missing some of them. I'll have to check it out...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: