Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on KDE website
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveD

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on KDE website Reply with quote

I go to KDE website (www.kde.org) in the download section for KDE 3.0.1, I see the folder Gentoo (next to other distros). There are no 3.0.1 binaries in this folder yet. There is 1 file showing how to install the binaries. Hopefully, there will be KDE binaries there in the future, so some people can install without going thru long compilation time.
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a binary, why do you use Gentoo? the reason why you recompile is to squeeze those 10-15% extra performance (or much more? hoping some benchmarks will show up some day), and another benefit an optimized recompiling gives you, is often much faster startup and response times, from especially KDE.

Unless ofcourse you expect KDE to deliver binaries for all the architectures supported by GCC-3.1?

Otherwise, I believe you can just install a RedHat RPM (using alien) if you want binaries. (or use Mandrake's that's compiled for i586 - a little better than 386 - don't know how much though.

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pre-compiled binaries defeat most, if not all, of the purpose behind Gentoo?

It's the large apps like KDE, XFree86, etc where you're likely to gain the largest speed increase by compiling a version optimized for your machine.

--kurt
steveD

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KDE binaries for Gentoo that the KDE team is going to make is for Pentium machines (686 binaries) with -O3 optimization (from the file I read there). If I compile KDE on my machine (Pentium II), the binaries will also be 686 binaries with -O3 optimization. Do I gain any perfomance in this case if I compile from source? I just save a lot of time from compiling big apps like KDE. I still use portage for compiling other stuff. I prefer using binaries for big packages like KDE, X if the binaries has the same optimization and machine type like my machine.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveD wrote:
Do I gain any perfomance in this case if I compile from source?

Here's a list of KDE optimizations that I just posted to the Tips & Tricks forum. Folks that have used these suggestions have noticed a remarkable increase in the responsiveness and overall speed of KDE.

So yes, there is some benefit to compiling it yourself. I realize it takes a heckuva long time, but if you start the compile before you go to bed at night, it should be finished (or close to finished) by the time you wake up the next day.

IMO, the tradeoff is worth it.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: