glibc-2.3.6-r5 fails to build on SGI O2 w/ mips-unknown-linu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: glibc-2.3.6-r5 fails to build on SGI O2 w/ mips-unknown-linu Reply with quote

Anyone having trouble building glibc on an O2? This is not a cross-compiler problem, cause I'm building directly on the O2. I recently switched to the new 2007.0 profile and am attempting to upgrade glibc from 2.3.6-r4 to 2.3.6-r5 (all under stable).

I get:
Code:
mv -f /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/build-default-mips-unknown-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/shlib.ldsT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/build-default-mips-unknown-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/shlib.lds
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/build-default-mips-unknown-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/libc.map', needed by `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/build-default-mips-unknown-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/libc.so'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/glibc-2.3.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm using
Code:

# gcc-config -l
 [1] mips-unknown-linux-gnu-4.1.1 *
 [2] mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-4.1.1 *

and emerge says:
Code:

# emerge -vauDN world
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5 [2.3.6-r4] USE="nls -build -erandom -glibc-compat20 -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) (-nptl) (-nptlonly) -profile (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/mips-sources-2.6.20.11  USE="-build -cobalt -ip27 -ip28 -ip30 -ip32r10k" 0 kB

Nothing too odd as far as flags go:
Code:

CFLAGS="-O3 -mabi=32 -march=r5000 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

I use O2 on some O2s and O3 on others, it hasn't seemed to make much difference in the past. I have only tried compiling glibc with on this machine (so only with O3) so far.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
/iMike
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you use the parallel make feature you should post some more lines above the error message.

But not sure if it is the reason could also be that there is something missing on your system.

Did you also update the mips-headers package?

Which profile do you use exactly as I can select different USE flags for glibc on my machine.

On my Octane2 the next version of glibc also is
Code:
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5

I will check if it is a general mips issue or something related to your CFLAGS but it can take a few more hours :-(

Me uses
Code:
CFLAGS="-mtune=r10000 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

for the Octanes and the USE="IP30" flag.

regards
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do use -j2 in make.conf, but had never considered any adverse implications of that before. I see how it could mean there is a problem with the build not shown simply in the above message. I put the whole emerge log file at http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/mips/ but nothing jumped out at me different that what was already stated. Also in the same spot is an emerge --info.

The sys-kernel/mips-headers and kernel I use are:
Code:
dewey ~ # eix mips-headers
[I] sys-kernel/mips-headers
     Available versions:  2.4.28-r1 2.6.14.4 ~2.6.16.16
     Installed versions:  2.6.14.4(09:05:30 09/12/06)(-cobalt -ip27 -ip28 -ip30)
     Homepage:            http://www.linux-mips.org/ http://www.kernel.org/ http://www.gentoo.org/
     Description:         Linux Headers from Linux-Mips GIT, dated 20060320

dewey ~ # uname -a
Linux dewey 2.6.16.17-mipsgit-20060320-ip32r5k #1 Thu Jun 1 22:08:32 CEST 2006 mips64 R5000 V2.1  FPU V1.0 SGI O2 GNU/Linux
The profile I'm using is:
Code:
dewey ~ # ls -FGg /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 63 Jun  3 01:12 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32//

But as to which USE flags were used for building glibc, you can see from my original post that only "nls" was on. That flag is apparently coming from the profile, since I just have:
Code:

USE="fam unicode no-old-linux"
in my make.conf.

You mention that the next version of glibc is 2.3.6-r5 for your Octane2. Does that mean you have not compiled it yet? I hope someone has had success with it. (BTW, SGI O2 is not the same as Octane2, which I'm sure you know, but just to make it clear to all.)

Thanks for you note. I could try setting -j1 to see if it "makes" any difference. :D
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

finally the glibc build here after updating mips-sources to the newest stable version.

Setting the make to not parallel will just bring the error at the end of the log
I just asked for more text as a parallel make could print an error stopping one process
and then another screen full of information of another process and then finally exit.

To me it is clear that O2 and Octane2 are not the same
but if I understand http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/ correctly
it could be possible to get compatible userspace code if
the least common CPU type is used ( same as with -mcpu=i686 for P2, P3, P4, Athlon and Opteron )
in this case r5k instead of r10k which is supported for Octane(2)
as the lower level differences should only need adressing from kernel side.

Maybe one of the MIPS xpert could clarify this.

Anyway I will try to find anything useable in your log but I would suggest to update mips-sources and mips-headers
first if they show up in the dependency graph of glibc as your original post shows.

regards
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, after some grepping:

there are a lot of ( 82 ) these:

gawk: ../scripts/versions.awk:90: (FILENAME=- FNR=1713) fatal error: internal error

So maybe first update gawk if some files are processed by gawk during the build.

regards
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are a lot of gawk errors, but interestingly enough, they are all regarding the same file, namely
Code:
scripts/versions.awk

when I look in
Code:
/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5/work/build-default-mips-unknown-linux-gnu-linuxthreads
I don't see a scripts directory, so I think the problem is not with gawk/awk but with something missing from glibc-2.3.6-r5 for this platform. It appears to be a bug. I will report it unless you see something I'm not seeing.

/iMike
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm,

no clue left on my side, maybe switch to ntpl-only
if you do no longer need the old linuxthreads?

Just checked my build, linuxthreads build also but there is no scripts directory.

If I get some time I will also try with the 2007 profile for IP30
just to rule out a bug in the profile.

regards
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, something strange is going on. I was going to try your suggestion by turning on nptl and nptlonly. First I just put this in my
/etc/portage/package.use file:
Code:
sys-libs/glibc nptl nptlonly

However, it made no difference to the emerge -av glibc output. I next stuck nptl and nptlonly in /etc/make.conf, but still no difference. So, I dropped in "build" in /etc/make.conf and that turned on "build" as it should.

Have I just completely spaced off how to set the special flags that show up within parens, like (-nptl) when one does emerge -av glibc, for example. I thought you set them with package.use or make.conf. As it is now, I found no way to set nptl and nptlonly for glibc.

Thanks for your continuing help.
/iMike
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMike wrote:

Have I just completely spaced off how to set the special flags that show up within parens, like (-nptl) when one does emerge -av glibc, for example.

Me thinks that everyting in parens is blocked by the profile,
maybe you can shoose another of the mips profiles for the maching?

regards
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, changing back to the old 2006.1 profile does not help (nor does it give the possibility of set nptl or nptlonly). Perhaps glibc-2.3.6-r4, but not 2.3.6-r5 works on O2.
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

there is a nptl profile available in the tree:
Code:
default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32/nptl

maybe you have some success with this one.

Also I will now try to build glibc with the profile you used originally
to see what happens with different tool / header installations.

regards
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

maybe this is good news?

Build successfully with profile
Code:
/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32/
so aparently there is nothing wrong with the package.

For reference I will create a binary package if there is a need for it.

Please check again the dependencies:

• gcc-4.1.1
  • binutils-2.16.1
  • gettext-0.16.1
  • mips-headers-2.6.14.4
  • mips-sources-2.6.20.11
  • gawk-3.1.5

regards
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The profile that I'm using is:
Code:

dewey # ls -FGg /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 63 Jun 14 21:04 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32//

And the versions of the various dependencies you listed on my machine are:
Code:

dewey # emerge -av gcc binutils gettext mips-headers mips-sources gawk

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3  USE="fortran mudflap nls (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc -gcj -gtk (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/binutils-2.17  USE="nls -multislot -multitarget -test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gettext-0.16.1  USE="nls -doc (-emacs) -nocxx" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-kernel/mips-headers-2.6.14.4  USE="-cobalt -ip27 -ip28 -ip30" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-kernel/mips-sources-2.6.20.14  USE="-build -cobalt -ip27 -ip28 -ip30 -ip32r10k" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/gawk-3.1.5-r3  USE="nls" 0 kB

Total: 6 packages (6 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

It appears I have a few more recent version than you, which is odd since I'm simply running stable. If you update to all current stable packages (e.g., emerge -vauDN world) can you still build glibc-2.3.6-r5? I sure can't, and I can detect nothing else wrong with the machine.

I will try the nptl profile you mentioned. Thanks!
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am now trying the nptl profile you mentioned, I see that there has also been a version bump in glibc. Whereas my system was previously trying to build 2.3.6-r5 when I originally posted this problem, it now is picking up 2.3.6-r4. We'll see if the move from 2.5.r2 to r4 goes smoother than to r5. :D
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bit confused in the version numbering trying the switch to the ntpl profile. For the record, you get an upgrade to a completely different version, apparently, if you try ntpl:
Code:
dewey portage # ln -snf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32/nptl /etc/make.profile
dewey portage # emerge -av glibc

[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.5-r2 [2.3.6-r4] USE="nls nptl* nptlonly* -build -debug% -glibc-compat20 -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux) (-erandom%)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

Quitting.

dewey portage # ln -snf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2007.0/generic-be/o32/ /etc/make.profile
dewey portage # emerge -av glibc

[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5 [2.3.6-r4] USE="nls -build -erandom -glibc-compat20 -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) (-nptl) (-nptlonly) -profile (-selinux)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Trying the upgrade to sys-libs/glibc-2.5-r2 with nptl bombed out within a few minutes, whereas the non-nptl upgrade, which attempts sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r5 goes on for over an hour. Oh well, it appears to definitely be a bug, from what I can tell. I'll try to be less lazy and get around to reporting it.

/iMike
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite able to upgrade my O2 (running fresh install of Gentoo/MIPS) to glibc-2.5...

Code:
moosehead ~ # emerge -pv glibc

[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.5-r2  USE="nls nptl nptlonly -build -debug -glibc-compat20 -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) (-multilib) -profile (-selinux)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
moosehead ~ # uname -a
Linux moosehead 2.6.19-rc5-o2 #1 Thu Nov 9 18:12:36 EST 2006 mips64 R5000 V2.1  FPU V1.0 SGI O2 GNU/Linux
moosehead ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2.2 (default-linux/mips/2007.1-dev/generic-be/o32, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r2, 2.6.19-rc5-o2 mips64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-rc5-o2 mips64 R5000 V2.1  FPU V1.0
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 26 May 2007 13:50:01 +0000
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3, 2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.15-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.14.4
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="mips"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="mips-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mips4 -mabi=32 -pipe"
CHOST="mips-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mips4 -mabi=32 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/home/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig buildpkg ccache distcc distlocks fixpackages metadata-transfer nostrip sfperms strict test"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www/portage http://qube/pub/gentoo http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/gentoo http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo http://mirror.isp.net.au/ftp/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo/"
LINGUAS="en_GB en_AU en"
PKGDIR="/home/portage/packages/mips/mips4"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/home/portage/overlays/local /home/portage/overlays/geoman"
SYNC="rsync://www/gentoo-portage"
USE="X Xaw3d a52 aac aalib alsa apache2 audiofile berkdb bitmap-fonts bookmarks cjk cle266 cli cracklib crypt cups curl doc dvd dvdread dxr3 encode fame fbcon ffmpeg filepicker flac font-server fontconfig fortran gd gdbm gif gimp gimpprint gitsendemail gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 howl-compat iconv imap imlib ipv6 isdnlog javascript jpeg kerberos libcaca libclamav libwww lzo md5sum mdnsresponder-compat midi mikmod mips mjpeg mmap mng mnt mozbranding mozdom mozsha1 mp3 mpeg mudflap multislot multiuser musicbrainz mysql network nls nptl nptlonly oav ogg openexr opengl openmp oss pam pcre pdf pdflib perl png povray pppd pulseaudio pvm python qt qt3 quicktime readline reflection replytolist restrict-javascript samba sdl session softmmu speex spell spl sqlite ssl svg tcltk tcpd test tetex theora tidy truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode userlocales utf8 v4l vcd vidix vorbis webdav winbind wmf wxgtk1 xforms xml xorg xpm xprint xv xvid xvmc zeroconf" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en_GB en_AU en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: