ogmrip, divx or ogg media ??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: ogmrip, divx or ogg media ?? Reply with quote

hello!

i'm all lost with AVI, DivX, XviD, Lavc MPEG-4, OGG vorbis, DivX and OGM containers...
I just want a high quality rip of the DVDs that i've got....
can someone help me to make a choice between the divx container and ogm container for the ogmrip ?

ogmrip is great, easy, good quality and does the job.... now i want to get the best out of it...
Thanks,
Shane
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Matroska container (you've got to enable the matroska flag for ogmrip), Xvid video codec (even though mplayer's devs would say lavc is better) and Vorbis audio codec. If you don't want to use matroska, use ogm.
To enable maximum quality settings, select 2 video passes, gauss software scaler, check 'reduce noise image', 'trellis search quantization', uncheck 'turbo'. You can try with 'use quarter pel motion compensation', but it is not sure it is worth activating.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVI is an archaic container that offers very little if no options. Even adding MP3 audio to the container is a hack.

DivX/XviD are MPEG-4 and XviD will clearly outdo DivX in a heartbeat. DivX leaves your video blured and softened while XviD will keep the original clarity.

Vorbis is an audio compression format and I would use it over MP3 unless you want 5.1 in which case I would leave the AC3 audio.

OGM containers support numerous features over AVI and fall short of matroska but will handle everything one would need. Matroska is far too late on the scene to make that much of a difference and has become the calling card of the "I only use 2 options but look, my container can support more than yours, even though I dont need them all" mentality. Linux is plagued with these people but who knows maybe one needs what OGM cannot give.

I used to rip my movies with XviD, Ogg Vorbis and use the OGM container. It was a past time of mine for almost 3 years and to this day, am still amused on how many people dont know the difference between a video codec, and audio codec and a container...
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys.... things seem much more clear now...

one last question: can DivX compatible dvd players play XviD too?

Lokheed wrote:
... It was a past time of mine for almost 3 years and to this day, am still amused on how many people dont know the difference between a video codec, and audio codec and a container...

what amuses me more is the number of people who still don't know what "help" means!!!
click on the help tab of the ogmrip and see how much help it gives you...
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punter wrote:
what amuses me more is the number of people who still don't know what "help" means!!!
click on the help tab of the ogmrip and see how much help it gives you...

If you want to document ogmrip, help yourself... English is not my natural language and I don't have enough spare time to document it further. If you have any question, ask them on ogmrip's forum and I'd be glad to answer.
OGMRip was designed to be easy to use. Default settings are adequate to rip in very good quality. If you want to get the best out of it, it is not so hard to get support.

Last edited by bi3l on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
OGM containers support numerous features over AVI and fall short of matroska but will handle everything one would need. Matroska is far too late on the scene to make that much of a difference and has become the calling card of the "I only use 2 options but look, my container can support more than yours, even though I dont need them all" mentality. Linux is plagued with these people but who knows maybe one needs what OGM cannot give.

Lokheed wrote:
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than are lies."

:wink:
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

punter wrote:
one last question: can DivX compatible dvd players play XviD too?

Yes, it's still mpeg4 we're talking about here, same as divx, although some players will have troubles with the more advanced features that come with xvid (packed-vop-something, I dont know what it is), and you might see a stuttering picture. This is the case with my player, but it is easily fixed with:
Code:
emerge avidemux
avidemux2 --force-unpack  --load original.movie.avi  --audio-map  --save-unpacked-vop fixed.movie.avi --quit

Remember to set all the USE flags you might need before emerging avidemux (I'm not sure about all of these), like: xvid, encode, vorbis, a52, aac, alsa, etc
You might also want to use the latest version of avidemux instead of the "tested" one. If so, issue this before emerging it:
Code:
echo "media-video/avidemux" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah bi3l, don't worry about it...
i wasn't complaining... i was just responding to our little friend who gets amused knowing that not everyone is as nerdy/geeky as him.... so i thought i bring up the issue, in case this friend (lockhead) is interested in extending his amusement by providing a help section for the ogmrip....

ogmrip is great.... make sure you keep it always as simple as it is...
not everyone knows the difference between video codecs, audio codecs and containers....
for the ones who do (hint hint to lockhead), they probably have their own nerdy/geeky script... leave them on their own, keep the software for the majority (the poor) - me! :D
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punter wrote:
nah bi3l, don't worry about it...
i wasn't complaining... i was just responding to our little friend who gets amused knowing that not everyone is as nerdy/geeky as him.... so i thought i bring up the issue, in case this friend (lockhead) is interested in extending his amusement by providing a help section for the ogmrip....

ogmrip is great.... make sure you keep it always as simple as it is...
not everyone knows the difference between video codecs, audio codecs and containers....
for the ones who do (hint hint to lockhead), they probably have their own nerdy/geeky script... leave them on their own, keep the software for the majority (the poor) - me! :D

I'll skip your name next time you need help. NICE gratitude you get for helping someone. Like its that hard to do some light reading and figure out what each codec is and does...
Hamman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use matroska? Apart from supporting more features (most I agree is useless to the majority of users) it's also still developed and has less overhead than OGM. Simply put, overhead is data that tells the decoder how to play the file (I haven't been to Doom9 in years, so my explanation may be lacking). And OGM isn't more compatible or anything, but if you're looking for hardware compabillity, use avi and mp3/AC3.
I would use XviD video, Matroska container and ogg q3 or the original AC3, depending on your equipment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: