Sun Type 5c Keyboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Sun Type 5c Keyboard Reply with quote

This has been a long hard road and it's not over yet!

I finally got my Sun Ultra 10 to boot a kernel - had to fall back to Sparc-Sources-2.4.29 to make it work. At this point, I just don't care! I just want it to boot! I'll retry the 2.6 kernels when they're a little more sparc-y.

I've also finally gotten X to start. I thought it was hanging, but apparently, with xorg's default configuration for the mouse (i.e. Protocol = AUTO) it shruggs
its little silicon shoulders and decides to try to use PS/2 protocol... and that's as far as it gets. So I would have to restart the machine since the keyboard wasn't working and the screen was all dark and gloomy -- like its owner. Once I changed the mouse driver to Protocol = SysMouse, that hurdle was solved.

The next problem I encountered was the keyboard driver -- apparently using the latest version of Xorg, the keyboard driver is deprecated and you have to use kbd. Who knew!?!? Well, the X -configure didn't! It kept installing the deprecated keyboard driver as well.

The next problem was pretty simple (all things considered). I'm not sure why it took two days to get the job done! Xorg's default -configure kept spitting out the "almost" right configuraiton for the embedded ATI card. I should have known.

of course, the framebuffer found this:
Code:
atyfb: 3D RAGE PRO (PQFP, PCI) [0x4750 rev 0x7c] 4M SGRAM, 14.31818 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 100 Mhz MCLK, 100 Mhz XCLK

But Xorg's configuration found this:
Code:

Section
  # SNIPPED COMMENTS
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "3D Rage Pro 215GP"
        ChipSet     "ati"
        ChipId      0x4750
        ChipRev     0x5c
        BusID       "PCI:1:2:0"
EndSection

Notice that atyfb says rev0x7c while xorg's config says rev0x5c. Well, that took me two days to figure out. Sheesh! :cry:

Now that I've gotten this far, I still can't fire up a fluxbox session because the keymaps are all wrong!

I finally found FMCCOR's notes here and here and put BACK the deprecated keyboard driver... Uh... huh.

Well, now the keyboard works -- EXCEPT for swapping out of an X session to one of the other virtual sessions (i.e Ctl-Alt-F2). Ok, sigh, one thing at a time.

What an odyssy!

--Oldan
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Type 5c Keyboard Reply with quote

oldan wrote:

Well, now the keyboard works -- EXCEPT for swapping out of an X session to one of the other virtual sessions (i.e Ctl-Alt-F2). Ok, sigh, one thing at a time.

Try adding this to the ServerLayout section:
Code:

Option   "HandleSpecialKeys"   "Always"
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Type 5c Keyboard Reply with quote

spam_ wrote:
Try adding this to the ServerLayout section:
Code:

Option   "HandleSpecialKeys"   "Always"

that worked a treat! Thanks.
-Oldan
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about your keyboard problems on the text console?

Because when I try to use a 2.6.x kernel with my Ultra 10, the keyboard layout is a mess: a=1, s=2, d=3, f=4 ...and that's the only line of keys that I can use!
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorstenHirsch wrote:
And what about your keyboard problems on the text console?

Because when I try to use a 2.6.x kernel with my Ultra 10, the keyboard layout is a mess: a=1, s=2, d=3, f=4 ...and that's the only line of keys that I can use!

On the text console it worked fine - however, using make menuconfig was just screwed. I had to start SSHd and login via my laptop using slogin for that to work.

I haven't tried from outside the DM recently. Since I'm this week switching to a 2.6 kernel, I'll give it a go and let you know what I find.
--Oldan
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found another thread here, where the solution was to disable /etc/init.d/keymap with rc-update. After that, the keyboard was working on the console, but it still did not work under x.org (now a was not 1 but 2, s=3, d=4, ...), so I even had to change the layout there from type5c to pc105.

Good luck!
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorstenHirsch wrote:
I've found another thread here, where the solution was to disable /etc/init.d/keymap with rc-update. After that, the keyboard was working on the console, but it still did not work under x.org (now a was not 1 but 2, s=3, d=4, ...), so I even had to change the layout there from type5c to pc105.

Interesting - did you check into the rc.conf file? There is a keymap function there:
Code:

# Use KEYMAP to specify the default console keymap.  There is a complete tree
# of keymaps in /usr/share/keymaps to choose from.  This setting is used by the
# /etc/init.d/keymaps script.

#KEYMAP="us"
KEYMAP="sunkeymap"

So, this might mean that you need the right keymap before running the keymaps daemon! My keymaps daemon starts at boot time.

--Oldan
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know of the KEYMAPS setting, I think it has been moved to /etc/conf.d/keymap meanwhile, but yes, I also tried the "de" keymap there, but the keys were messed up the same as before with the sunkeymap-setting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: