new to SPARC (but not linux), a few quick questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scanty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: new to SPARC (but not linux), a few quick questions Reply with quote

Greetings all,

This is my first post here, and I have a few quick questions -- wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am running kernel 2.4.29-sparc on a Ultra 60 (2x 300MHz, 512 RAM, Elite3D, and so on).

My first issues are with sound:

I've noticed that mixer-settings are not saved across reboots -- I have to reconfigure the mixer settings (via GNOME volume control) each time I boot up, or else sound will default to the (<sarcasm>fantastic</sarcasm>) internal speaker.

For whatever reason, I can't get any audio output from playing audio CDs. I've tried both XMMS and the GNOME CD player with no luck. It can't be a hardware problem, because audio CDs played fine under Solaris.

As of now, I have the cs4231 module built into the kernel, but don't have a /dev/audio tree. Other than the aforementioned problems, the sound works (and sounds) great, both through GNOME, and XMMS.

For my next question, I'm curious if it's worth it to move to a 2.6 kernel? For some reason, I can't even build one, getting this error during compilation:

CC arch/sparc64/mm/hugetlbpage.o
arch/sparc64/mm/hugetlbpage.c:505: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'
arch/sparc64/mm/hugetlbpage.c:505: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
arch/sparc64/mm/hugetlbpage.c:505: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make[1]: *** [arch/sparc64/mm/hugetlbpage.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/sparc64/mm] Error 2

Wondering if anyone can clear this up for me?

Finally, I'm curious if there is access to the parallel port, and if so, what I need to do to use it? I'm currently trying with parport and ppdev, but can't seem to do a PPCLAIM successfully.

Thanks to any and all replies.
scanty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: I meant /dev/sound tree, not /dev/audio Reply with quote

no text
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't respond to your question about sound one way or the other, but experience so far suggests that on a system like yours, kernel-2.4.xx is more stable than 2.6.xx.
I have a U60(2x450, kernel 2.4.27) which is completely stable, and a U60(2x300, kernel 2.6.6) which occasionally "freezes"; others report the same sorts of experience.
You might want to check the IRC freenode #gentoo-sparc channel for quicker responses to specific questions (if you can).

Regards,
chance2105
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main desktop is a U60. When it comes to *using* it as a desktop, I prefer 2.4.29 over any 2.6 kernel.

As an aside point .. for me also, if I want to use the onboard Sun audio, I use 2.4. It doesn't seem to work with the in-kernel ALSA drivers yet. I heard somewhere once that if you use updated ALSA drivers from outside of the usual kernel tree it fairs better (I haven't tried it, so I dunno).

Part of my decision to run a 2.4 kernel is that the onboard sun audio is *very good* when it comes to computer audio. The onboard Sun audio is better than anything you'd find in a computer store (for any reasonable price, anyway). I did buy an inexpensive sound card that's well supported under Linux as a stop-gap solution to try to use 2.6, but the difference in audio quality is .. humbling.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: