Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is KDE 4.2RC coming to portage any time soon? (SOLVED...;-))
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Is KDE 4.2RC coming to portage any time soon? (SOLVED...;-)) Reply with quote

May be masked, but in official portage? 4.1.4 landed so fast, giving me hope of 4.2RC. Are my hopes dashed before they could even take shape in my head?

Last edited by devsk on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release candidates for KDE have never been in the main tree. The KDE project run overlays for that sort of thing. #gentoo-kde on Freenode will be able to tell you the currently recommended overlay (they seem to like changing them around fairly frequently)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde-testing is the way to go :idea:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde-testing ftw!

Stable release is scheduled for Jan 27th, chances are 4.2 will soon hit the main tree after that. Ebuilds and eclasses are in pretty good shape now imo.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it better than KDE 4.1 or I need to wait to kde 4.3 for a stable production box ?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.2 is fantastic. I just had a plasma crash though with the comic widget, but that one is reproducible and should be fixed soon. Apart from that it works like a charm.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
So, is it better than KDE 4.1 or I need to wait to kde 4.3 for a stable production box ?

kde 4.2 should suffice on a stable production box,

kde 4.3 will be even greater :)

yeah, there are still some crashes from time to time but it's getting stable pretty fast :idea:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a test user where I am testing it now. Looks much better than the SVN code I tried back in Nov. Many of the things which bothered me like session mgmt has been since fixed.

Things that I noticed straightaway:

0. The desktop effects are cool and smooth with nvidia.

1. the install is larger for same set of programs. 320MB vs. 202MB for 3.5. I did a prefixed install and this is the du -sk output:
Code:
# du -sk /usr/kde/*
202272  /usr/kde/3.5
316204  /usr/kde/4.2

I expected that. Sort of. Q: does RC have the debug symbols enabled or something?

2. Plasma still crashes once in a while. It crashed about 3 times in 1 hour of my testing. But once the settings settled down (I stopped making changes to the system settings), its not gone down so far.

3. kwin sits on cpu with constant 3-5% cpu usage, with 2% in kernel, what the heck is it doing? its going to eat my laptop alive.

4. Also, memory usage of all components is higher than 3.5, which is probably to be expected with upgrades. kwin is major culprit (70MB RSS) but with 3D effects, I don't think it can do much.

5. powertop reports more wakeups compared to 3.5. There is still some tuning left to be done. Not good for laptop users. May be disabling the effects will bring that down.

6. One of the most positive changes in KDE 4 is the power mgmt support. Variety of profiles for laptops. Awesome! I can finally get rid of gnome-power-manager.

7. Special mention of gwenview, okular and kopete. Awesome awesome apps! kopete worked out of box with my work account and gmail. And I can finally get rid of evince as well.

I think I am ready to move to kde 4.2.

Now the question: will 4.2 transfer my 3.5 settings automatically and correctly or is that not recommended and/or doesn't work? It would be a pain to re-enter all those settings.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured where most of the difference in install size is coming from:
Code:
# du -sk /usr/kde/*/share
84968   /usr/kde/3.5/share
197488  /usr/kde/4.2/share
Those beautiful icons and wallpapers...:)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
kde 4.2 should suffice on a stable production box,

kde 4.3 will be even greater :)

yeah, there are still some crashes from time to time but it's getting stable pretty fast :idea:

Nice to know that :P
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a little confused by these kde threads. in the bugzilla, they say that's not the place for chattering, so i'll start with the forums. :). i have an amd64 box. it was less common when i first built the dual opteron box, but now, A LOT of the machines being sold are dual amd64, and the others are dual pentium (don't these implement the amd64 instruction set?). that being said, my portage is upto date, but for some reason the kde that's been out for eons doesn't want to install on my machine by default (emerge kde). so, after reading and reading, i get frustrated, come across some guide telling me to put a file in package.keywords folder and that'll get me started. Nope. Still not working. I'm sure that the x86 is still the most used architecture out there, but seriously, this is absolutely frustrating. I check opensuse, and they have the latest kde. I check kubuntu, and they have the latest KDE, even the 4.2 rc is there.

so, tag this as a ranting post or whatever. my bright shiny new laptop with dual core amd64 processor is running a "pretty" windows vista (even with the aero turned off, it looks nice and performs ok). my old dual opteron desktop runs a some 3.x kde, and not even that quickly i might add. i could resize the partition on my laptop to dual boot it so that i can have a unixy operating system on there too. i've been a gentoo user for 8 years or so. i'm not up with all the latest changes in the last two years, i just run my computer, don't keep up on the latest portage kewelness or ebuild magick that has been created (anything other than emerge <packagename> is _constantly_ changing).

welp, back to windows media player i go. the visual studio express editions look like they'll install on there really nicely.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is information on that topic, just take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-708282.html

I'm a happy Gentoo amd64 KDE4 user working with 4.2 since eons.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.2 is the fastest landing of a DM in portage ever. Kudos to all the devs involved.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, thanks to the devs :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: