Gentoo/FreeBSD init system and fs checks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chichou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Gentoo/FreeBSD init system and fs checks Reply with quote

I have a question about the init system in Gentoo/BSD : I'd like to have a Gentoo/FreeBSD system on one of my slices, with a partition for / and another for /usr. The problem is that the init program wants to have bash available, which is impossible, since it needs libraries in /usr/lib which is not yet mounted.

Is it possible to have /usr mounted before needing bash ? Actually, the system falls baack to single user, so I mount manually /usr, but then it is the checkfs init script which is whining about not being able to remount read-only, or something like that.

How can I fix this ?
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabe the kernel need to have the ability to mount filesystem
check if there is such ability inside
the problem is that i don't like freBSD's kenrel documentation
Chichou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand what you mean : my partitions are all UFS and the kernel were copied right from my regular FreeBSD installation. Actually copying the few libraries that were needed into /lib fixes the problems.

I also notice another problem : I cannot set any locale (exporting LC_CTYPE or anything else doesn't have any effect). This is odd, has the freebsd ebuilds seem to be correctly merged, and all the files is /usr/share/locale look good. What other places shoud I look in ?
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget that it's linux only things

i don't know well BSD but in linux it's easy
just use a initrd but i don't know if it exist on FreeBSD
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo/FreeBSD init system and fs checks Reply with quote

Chichou wrote:
I have a question about the init system in Gentoo/BSD : I'd like to have a Gentoo/FreeBSD system on one of my slices, with a partition for / and another for /usr. The problem is that the init program wants to have bash available, which is impossible, since it needs libraries in /usr/lib which is not yet mounted.

Is it possible to have /usr mounted before needing bash ? Actually, the system falls baack to single user, so I mount manually /usr, but then it is the checkfs init script which is whining about not being able to remount read-only, or something like that.

How can I fix this ?

I think I recall a bug on this for Linux, but it might've affected FreeBS too (unsure) -- you might give this another run and see if the same issue arises since I think whatever lib was in /usr/lib was moved to /lib. The details escape me, but dig into the Bugs database and you might the specific package that also had this issue, and it might have the solution if the problem still arises.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: