Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1tst0p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng Reply with quote

Hi Sith_Happens,

erm, my origional post on page 9 has a full output of emerge info.

Im stuck too, i have used this install method on another machine over the past couple of days at work, and thats fine, in fact, its the exact same type of machine (IBM ThinkCenter desktop )

hmm

Will
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post your make.conf anyway though, that way I can just see the ones you added.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpsii wrote:
What I am asking is... Once I am up and running following this guide, how do I change the architecture of my environment? IE - setup system with i586 CHOST and -march=pentium. All is fine; however, the system I set this up on has an Athlon XP CPU on it. The "proper" settings for an Athlon XP would be i686 CHOST and -march=athlon-xp.

THE POINT --

I changed the CHOST to i686 and the -march= to athlon-xp, now the system is borked and cannot compile executables. SO... does this mean I have to start all over with this guide, but tailored to Athlon XP from the beginning OR can I "upgrade" the system to match the hardware.

It seems that you've missed this warning:

Stage 1/3 Installation Guide wrote:
When you follow this Guide, please resist the temptation to blindly follow it unless you are installing on a system that has a Pentium processor. You should always choose the correct tarball and CHOST setting for your processor.

edit: rant removed.

Last edited by Bob P on Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
on x86 it is setup to run glibc and associated files as ~x86 my concern is that at some point what is now ~x86 is going to be stable and new unstable version of software will be available (installed if update is run) that may break install!!

I take it we are expected to monitor updates and when this happens we can remove ~x86 settings and just run as stable?

the guide is written in response to software that exists today. its just not practical to write it in response to software that does not exist now, but may exist at some point in the future. if Gentoo changes, we'll all just have to roll with the punches. :wink:
p1tst0p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Could you post your make.conf anyway though, that way I can just see the ones you added.

Sure, here it is
Code:
speedy root # cat /etc/make.conf
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks sandbox userpriv usersandbox"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"
RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes
USE="fbcon X nptl"
dusdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed my pc using this guide (with success, so thanks for that! :) )
Today I did a emerge -uDpv world and got this:
Code:

[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2 [3.4.3.20050110-r1] (-altivec) -bootstrap -boundschecking -build -debug +fortran -gcj +gtk -hardened (-ip28) (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) +nls -nocxx -objc -static (-uclibc) 27,915 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6  -build -doc -symlink (-ultra1) 36,443 kB

Do I have to run
Code:
emerge -e system
after this update? I think yes, in order to get a gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2 compiled by the same gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2. But I'm not sure...
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After any upgrade to linux-headers, glibc, gcc, or binutils, I recommend you run
Code:
emerge -e system
twice in a row to rebuild the toolchain.
What I recommend even more emphatically, though, is not to upgrade any of those (or anything, for that matter :D) except if you have a good reason (such as known and documented improvements in stability or speed, or known security holes). Upgrading just for the heck of it is a poor policy if you want a stable system.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
dusdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
After any upgrade to linux-headers, glibc, gcc, or binutils, I recommend you run
Code:
emerge -e system
What I recommend even more emphatically, though, is not to upgrade any of those (or anything, for that matter :D) except if you have a good reason (such as known and documented improvements in stability or speed, or known security holes). Upgrading just for the heck of it is a poor policy if you want a stable system.

Interesting point of view, especially in combination with this post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-313315-highlight-.html
which (also) includes a discussion about critical updates and "conventional updates"

Anyway, as you stated, I wont update gcc, probably not until gcc-5.0 ;)
I'll put linux-headers, glibc, gcc, and binutils, in a /etc/portage/package.something to not-update it (forgot which one, will look it up)

Tnx

(aah yes... /etc/portage/package.mask)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusdus wrote:
moocha wrote:
Code:
emerge -e system

Interesting point of view, especially in combination with this post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-313315-highlight-.html
which (also) includes a discussion about critical updates and "conventional updates"
Nod.
Both abovementioned thread and my opinion above can be nicely summed up in this short statement:
If it's not broken, don't fix it.
This is the single most important principle I've learned in all my years of designing systems...
Sorry for reiterating this (should've put a "from the department of redundancy department" there :D), but I think it's really important to hammer this idea into people's heads as often as possible. It'll make the world a Better Place.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
Code:
emerge -e system

that's REALLY good advice. after you go through all of the trouble to build a proper toolchain, you should really LOCK IT DOWN and not tamper with it unless there's a REALLY good reason to go through all of the trouble.

you will find taht your system is much more stable in the long run if you avoid the n00b's prediliction to constantly update your Gentoo installation. far too many n00bs fall into the trap of trying to have the most up-to-date Gentoo system on the planet. these kinds of people put update commands in their cron jobs, and they're left scratching their head when something is broken and they have absolutely no clue what has happened to them.

if you value the stability of your system, don't blindly upgrade packages. this is ESPECIALLY true for the toolkit.

fwiw, i don't use "emerge -uD world". i mean, NEVER. there are better ways to update your software than half-baked updates like that. if you're interested in how to update your system safely and thoroughly, read some of robmoss' posts about how to do it:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-163377-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-6.html

another thing that you should look into is hielvc's and minderaser's excellent scripts for keeping youir system up to date. there's a reason that they're recommended in the Stage 1/3 Guide. for the life of me, i cannot understand why people insist on using emerge -uD world by itself. its a recipe for disaster. :evil:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunilgeo wrote:
I don't know if this is discussed already in this thread or else where (this is a long discussion and I haven't gone through all of it), but can someone point out all the steps involved to upgrade my system from 2004.3 to 2005.0

try a search for the common "current profile deprecated" error message and you'll find plenty of hits.

if searching is just too much drudgery for you, click here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-320834.html
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Unrelated comments edited out.

Last edited by mpsii on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit. material not related to Stage 1/3 support removed from thread.

Last edited by Bob P on Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: unrelated material edited out

Last edited by mpsii on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1tst0p wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

Sure, here it is
Code:
speedy root # cat /etc/make.conf
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks sandbox userpriv usersandbox"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"
RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes
USE="fbcon X nptl"
Try removing userpriv and usersandbox and then recompiling. I haven't been able to reproduce your problem, even with the same settings, but that's all I can think of at this point.

@mpsii - Don't worry about it man. If it seems like we are being jackasses about posts in this thread, it's only because we are trying to provide the best support possible to people doing the stage 1/3 install for Gentoo 2005.0. Posts that create tangents only serve to dilute the thread, and divert our attention from other, more relevant problems. If you had asked that question in another thread, then my reaction would not have been at all hostile. :wink:
SVN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
moocha wrote:

when i look at the output of emerge -ep system, the ebuild sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2 is indeed rebuilt, but if that library is used to recompile the toolkit, then an additional pass is in order. instead of doing this:

Code:
# emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc
<update make.conf>
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile
# emerge glibc binutils gcc portage
# emerge -e system

we should do this:

Code:

<update make.conf>
# emerge -e system && emerge -e system

i'm a firm believer that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so it looks like i'll be revising the guide to add another emerge -e system.

I have a question about this, does this double emerge -e system have to be included in the guide, or will it not cause problems if you only emerge -e system once. Have someone already tested it?
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunilgeo wrote:
I don't know if this is discussed already in this thread or else where (this is a long discussion and I haven't gone through all of it), but can someone point out all the steps involved to upgrade my system from 2004.3 to 2005.0

See: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml

Basically:
Code:
emerge sync
rm /etc/make.profile
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0 /etc/make.profile
emerge -uD world
revdep-rebuild

Some people will argue you don't need all of that but that is my way. Of course it depends what you mean by upgrade, the Gentoo release of 2005.0 contains udev by default while previous versions didn't.
LucaSpiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't make any difference, but it is the most complete way to do it. You could just leave it, because everything will be rebuilt over time.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVN wrote:
I have a question about this, does this double emerge -e system have to be included in the guide, or will it not cause problems if you only emerge -e system once. Have someone already tested it?
It may cause problems. It may not. I'm currently working on confirming it one way or the other, but it's really hard to give a definitive answer on that.
Meanwhile, now that I'm looking at this again:
Code:

<update make.conf>
# emerge -e system && emerge -e system

The # emerge glibc binutils gcc portage is redundant if you do two emerge -e system passes. The two passes should suffice.

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well libtool's has completely screwed up my system that I have had instaled since 1.4 with minor problems. I have asked for the last 2 days for any help but no-one seems to know.

So I have decided to just re-install my Gentoo setup using this guide
Just burnt the minimal CD and just d/l now the stage3 tarball (so I dont have to wget later)

ill see you in a few days hopefully with a nice new system, wish me luck ;)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
The # emerge glibc binutils gcc portage is redundant if you do two emerge -e system passes. The two passes should suffice.

agreed. if you're working on a definitive answer about the double emerge -e system, i'll hold off on a final revision until i hear back from you.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just finished the 2nd emerge of glibc,gcc,... and once I go back into my 1/2-linux ill finish it off.

I noticed one thing though. During the un-tarring of the stage3 tarball it fills the /mnt/gentoo/dev (ie the /dev to be used) with static entries

I

Code:

mv /mnt/gentoo/dev/console /mnt/gentoo
mv /mnt/gentoo/dev/null /mnt/gentoo

rm /mnt/gentoo/dev/* -rf

mv /mnt/gentoo/console /mnt/gentoo/dev
mv /mnt/gentoo/null /mnt/gentoo/dev

This emptied all of /dev since udev will be used and thus no need for entries in there. The keeping of null and console were done since udev complains if they dont exist. This might not be needed, but I encountered a problem when I did the devfs -> udev swap.

Then just before the chroot, say just after mounting proc in /mnt/gentoo/proc

I bound hte liveCD /dev to the /mnt/gentoo/dev

Code:

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

That way I still have /dev entries, but they are not static
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then entries in /dev are needed, otherwise init can't even find and mount your root partition. However, you shouldn't need to mount devfs at /mnt/gentoo/dev, I've tested the stage 1/3 install probably about ten times at this point for various reasons, and have never encountered a problem related to device nodes, even when I co-install gentoo from my non-udev install.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt say it was a problem. It's just udev (and also devfs) are designed to be a dynamic in nature and thus static /dev entries are no longer needed (but maybe the console and null for the kernel until udev starts).

When I did the swap to udev abt 6months ago from a devFS + static entries, everything was pointing to udev not working properly, but everything was mounting fine because of the static character devices.

I then booted a liveCD and deleted everything in /dev and rebooted - kernel compained (due to the null and console nodes) after making those nodes and rebooting everything was fine. It was at that point I noticed my udev rules were not working properly (masked due to all the static entries) and was able to fix them.

Also I had to do the bind mount when I was using ATARAID so thats where that came from

Now that I am re-installing my system from scatch (folling this method) I got to this point and just thought ahead. It's just what I have done with no problems, just thought I would pass it on.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
I've tested the stage 1/3 install probably about ten times at this point for various reasons, and have never encountered a problem related to device nodes, even when I co-install gentoo from my non-udev install.

only TEN? :wink:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: