Re: how do i install from my ipw2200 wireless connection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MEtoLinuxNoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: how do i install from my ipw2200 wireless connection Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
jerome bettis wrote:
i've wanted to install gentoo for a long time, but one thing is keeping me back. my laptop has the ipw2200 card, and the gentoo install does not detect this. so i need to figure out a way to get it to do that.

One solution would be to install Gentoo using a different LiveCD (i.e. one that supports your wireless hardware). I'm sure the latest KNOPPIX CD, or one of the many unofficial Gentoo CDs would be able to do this.

Another solution would be to do a networkless Gentoo installation (or use your wired ethernet), and then setup wireless networking later, when you are able to compile the driver.

Cyrillic, I have knoppix running and I've installed a driver using ndiswrapper. But whenever I try to do anything using iwconfig I get errors like this...

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 essid

-Error for wireless request. "Set ESSID" (8B1A) : too few arguments

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6

-Error for wireless request "Set frequency" (8B04) : SET failed on device wlan0; no such device

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 up

-wlan0 : Error while getting interface flags: No such device.

Code:
pump -i wlan0

-operation failed.

Also, even if Knoppix detects your driver, what do you do then? Ahh, this is all very complicated.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314554.html Please don't hijack other people's threads with crossposts from your threads.

Moved to dups in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2236788.html#2236788
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: