29%  [ 45 ]
No, I'll stick to the long way
70%
 70%  [ 108 ]
Total Votes : 153

noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Will you personally use GRP? Reply with quote

I like the idea of GRP and I think it is a good idea to make the install quicker, however will you use it? I know if I was putting Gentoo on someone else's computer I would use it, but for my own I want to go from stage 1, because it is more fun.

So this question is mainly for your personal computer.

EDIT: Got rid of double [POLL]
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance

Last edited by noff on Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will only use it if a program like mozilla or openoffice just won't compile...
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grp is a huge improvement for people that dont have cable

in my case i love alt- install :)
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be good if a had a whole bunch of systems that i wanted to install Gentoo on quickly.. on my own system it doesn't really matter to me so much ..

sometimes if you cannot install the app it is easier to throw the binary in and use it. it happened to me a couple of time with FreeBSD..

other than that.. i will continue compiling till I am.. well.. untill something happens to me. :D
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll isn't varied enough.

Will I use GRP at home? No, I'll stick to compiling. But, at work, where I may be installing Gentoo on 10 or more machines, it'll be GRP all the way baby.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
museX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i will only use GRP for big softs like openoffice or mozilla...
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that next time I will use GRP also for applications like OpenOffice, KDE...
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
The poll isn't varied enough.

Will I use GRP at home? No, I'll stick to compiling. But, at work, where I may be installing Gentoo on 10 or more machines, it'll be GRP all the way baby.

No I'm mainly concerned with whether current users will use it on their personal machine. I think one of the joys of Gentoo is going from scratch, and I wonder whether others do as well.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If GRP has up to date and fast KDE packages I might use it in the future! (I use the KDE 3.1 RC6 now :( )
I tried once and found that although I had the athlon ISO , the GRP-Packages were compiled with -march=i686 (at least that it what I derived from /var/db/portage ... )
Furthermore there where some (at least one) ebuilds missing from portage that it needed (At least it complained back then, dunno if it is still an issue), but I guess it is still a bit experimental and I do believe it will be very useful once it ripens. It would be ideal for building systems for those people I attempt to convert to Linux and have use Gentoo :). The install will then be less tedious and long for these mostly computer USERS (They want it to work and do not want to spend much time setting it up and configuring it).

Just my two florins :)

Last edited by aardvark on Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
phunkphorce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can be seen after some posts is that people don't want to spend countless hours compiling KDE, Mozilla, the Java VM and OpenOffice (just to mention some of the most used and heaviest applications) I think the GRP is a nice addition to an already nice distro :), and the good thing is that users won't be forced to use either one or the other, but simply use what best suits their needs at any given moment while keeping all the other features of Gentoo (easy compilation from source is not the only and most important feature of Gentoo)
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I still prefer going the long way, just like on the old p133 I was doing last week :wink: . To me, although I've done a stage 1 install more than ten times now, it is still some sort of event and I like that special feeling when rebooting for the first time and everything comes up the way it is supposed to be, knowing that everything was made for that particular box just the way I wanted it to be made :D

But I have to agree with charlieg
charlieg wrote:

But, at work, where I may be installing Gentoo on 10 or more machines, it'll be GRP all the way baby.

So far, I didn't have to yet, though 8)
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Long way, please... Reply with quote

gotta agree with eryvile.. its still a major event when I start with stage 1... :-) then again, I've never been in a big rush for Gentoo to get installed... if I had a deadline I would think about it...
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i *heart* the GRP.
I use it on my shitty K6 laptops. Saves a lot of trouble.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use it for base installs if I'm in a hurry... if I ever get a laptop, that'll probably get the full stage1 compilation install, unless I get it and need to be able to use it quickly, in which case it'll get a GRP install until such time as I can start optimising stuff. Although since I don't use very fancy optimisation flags beyond setting -march appropriately, that's probably pointless... there's just something very satisfying about compiling everything onesself!
heijs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to compiling too. Even on my laptop. I compile everything at night, so I don't waste any time anyway :wink:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a good answer might be: "It depends on the PC"
If I'm installing on my old 400Mhz, yeah, I may go for GRp. But on my 2.4Ghz P4, nope, I'm compiling everything from scratch using a Stage 1 tarball.

The faster the machine, the more inclined I am to use source only.

Erik
crichards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My machine is fast, but I would use GRP if I didn't already have a huge stockpile of up-to-date source tarballs. I've got a 56k.
Goalie_Ca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRP is cool for apps like open office. Who the hell wants to compile 130 meg of gzipped source for an office app that may not compile when using some of the better flags ;)
zawze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always install Gentoo from stage1, but I usually use the mozilla and Xfree86 GRP packages. This is so that I can use X and mozilla immediately after bootup. When X is up I compile the newest versions of mozilla and Xfree. So I basicly use GRP so that I can use my system right after boot.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eryvile wrote:
it is still some sort of event and I like that special feeling when rebooting for the first time and everything comes up the way it is supposed to be

You mean it is supposed to come up correctly on the first try? ;)

I have never used grp, don't know how to use it, but saw that it is a "feature" on the new 1.4-rc(insert what ever stage is current) isos. I think I will figure out how to use it if I install on a computer that I dont have access to for a long time, but as for my lappy and desktop, both have lots of fun compiling overnight ;) with seti in back ground niced to 19 to pick up when they get bored.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zawze wrote:
I always install Gentoo from stage1, but I usually use the mozilla and Xfree86 GRP packages. This is so that I can use X and mozilla immediately after bootup. When X is up I compile the newest versions of mozilla and Xfree. So I basicly use GRP so that I can use my system right after boot.

teh best use
also openoffice would be good, but i find that the from source version works 10x better.
Mitchybums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works fine, but I only use it for temp fix.
during install I wont, but when I have a f*cked up Xfree, it's quite handy to install the GRP version to get you backup and going, and then at night, start the emerge for the new version again.
(had to use that trick 4 times before I had it working right)
other then that. It's a quick way to see if you like it, and try it, and then if so, remove it, and compile it from scratch.
I just wish there was also an easy way to remove the GRP install.
(HINT !)
bccomm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: I'll stick to compilation Reply with quote

Even on my little PIII 500Mhz, It's not awfully slow, though on my test box I use Caldera because it would take forever to bootstrap, build the system, build some nice-to-have things, etc...But right now all the stuff on my box has been built on it. (Except non-free software)
sundiver2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I didn't have much success using the GRP packages. I tried to install KDE and Mozilla. KDE just didn't work. I didn't waste a lot of time trying to figure out why. I just emerged KDE and waited a day+ for that to complete. Maybe I did somehing wrong initially. I don't know. Anyway, I would love to use the GRP packages for the big stuff. I guess I'm just impatient.
AngusYoung
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't use GRP for myself, but, I would certainly use it when setting up a system for someone.
:twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: