Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[my_50cents] :)

1. love/nitro/all_others kernel in portage ? :) that's funny for me. why ? definitly too unstable , and too less of testing . If this sources are working on the maintainer box , it's definitly too less :) most (yeah not all but most ) have a number of risky/crappy/too_untestet patches which just can be an error reason even if on maintainer box everything is ok. My state is definitive NO for it.

2.it's just strange how people are building opinions with propaganda (reiser4) or placebos ( genetic nicksched = nicksched ) . most want to have for example an oriented for minimal latencies and designed for interactivity cpu scheduler with filesystem with maximal latencies from all other fs and highest cpu usage ( reiser4 ) . where is the logic here ? . many just dont know about the tests and all the stuff , simply just listening to friend a who said that " man , You must have reiser4 because its fast , trust me " . and next day 5 more people will have it and will say " its superb , my destkop is faster " . OMG. :)

3.unobjective judgement. for one man a destkop interactivity on some box can be great , for one other can be bad. I can say that on my box it is currently bad , but My GrandMother can say that it is superb.
it is impossible to doing a judgement without really testing and benchmark. (this is computer science , enginering , not music making when I can just liten and said ohh this is better than something ) :)

4.reiser4 stable ? . when 1.0 was released . half year ago ? . for a comparision please look at the all years of ext2/3 development. yeah this is matured fs but not fs which was released a half year ago.

OK :) Im too lazy to write more :)

cheers & greetings
fallow
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro sources will not make it into the portage tree. Their own developers don't feel that it is necessary to take the time and go through the steps to become developers and follow the necessary protocols. Even if they did become developers, nitro-sources are not stable enough to ever get out of ~arch testing. From my experience, before I completely stopped using them, they were unstable some of the time and could cause some massive crashes on my system. This of course was before their sudden change of heart about their direction that their kernel should go and before darcness left. I still will not try their kernels until I see massive stablility changes like the elimination of Reiser4...which if you ask most developers is a massively broken filesystem that will eat your data like hotcakes. Gentoo users have the right to use nitro-sources but currently I don't think our developers need additional bugs because nitro-sources get into the portage tree.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Good to see tuxamd is taking over the FUD where lovechild left off.

We need another torch-bearer now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. There is at least one noob to Gentoo that this cre^H^Hguy scared off. I'm thinking of inviting him back to the forums. Oh forget it... he is probably using something else by now. :|
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: