View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecskier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

Taken from the nitro sources homepage:
Quote:
From now on, nitro-sources will focus more on stability and will be less experimental. But, it will still be optimized for desktop and gaming usage, as well in features as in speed, for as well desktops as laptops.

Any chance that the nitro sources might be adopted into portage once they become less experimental?

Not that it's any big hastle to download the ebuild separately, but it would be more convenient...
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

ecskier wrote:
Taken from the nitro sources homepage:
Quote:
From now on, nitro-sources will focus more on stability and will be less experimental. But, it will still be optimized for desktop and gaming usage, as well in features as in speed, for as well desktops as laptops.

Any chance that the nitro sources might be adopted into portage once they become less experimental?

No.
MockieMoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
ecskier wrote:

No.

Is there any specific reason for this?
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

MockieMoo wrote:
ciaranm wrote:
ecskier wrote:

No.

There are several.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

ecskier wrote:
MockieMoo wrote:
Those ppl wanting the nitro sources can maintain their own ebuild in portage overlay. Why does every Kernel out there needs to be in portage? Can you imagine how manny newbees will be posting messages because stuff break? Do you think we don't have enough kernel variants already in portage?

cheers

SteveB
MockieMoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
Can you imagine how manny newbees will be posting messages because stuff break? Do you think we don't have enough kernel variants already in portage?

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from here, but as the original poster points out, it would be more convenient. :)

Not trying to troll or anything, just sayin'.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

MockieMoo wrote:
steveb wrote:
Can you imagine how manny newbees will be posting messages because stuff break? Do you think we don't have enough kernel variants already in portage?

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from here, but as the original poster points out, it would be more convenient. :)

Not trying to troll or anything, just sayin'.
I know that it would be more convenient. But allow me to ask you: Who will support all this flavors of Linux kernels? Are you going to register yourself as a Gentoo developer and hunt down bugs posted in Bugzilla? I think more developers are always welcome, but with the current amount of developers, there is shure other more important stuff to be done, then adding another kernel flavor into portage.

You know: Gentoo is not just another distro. Adding stuff into portage means more QA, more bugs, more work, more documentation, etc... And if you look at that, then the nitro sources are not a top issue for the Gentoo community. Making things convenient for you and other nitro users (which are shure a one digit percentage compared to the Gentoo user base) would mean taking work power away from Gentoo developers and not allowing them to work on more important stuff.

Maybe the nitro sources would be best hosted at BreakMyGentoo?

What do you think?

cheers

SteveB
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
ecskier wrote:
MockieMoo wrote:
Those ppl wanting the nitro sources can maintain their own ebuild in portage overlay. Why does every Kernel out there needs to be in portage? Can you imagine how manny newbees will be posting messages because stuff break? Do you think we don't have enough kernel variants already in portage?

cheers

SteveB

......... I don't try and pull for dark to be in portage, because
1. I run slackware, I just come here because the only good slackware commutity around is on Linuxquestions and theres nothing fun about LQ
2. I realise not all users here are gentoo users
3. I don't care if its in portage or not

Personally, I don't see any reason to put any patchsets in portage aside from things that can be offically supported, such as gentoo-(dev-)sources/vanilla/development-sources.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
steveb wrote:
ecskier wrote:
MockieMoo wrote:

cheers

SteveB

1. I run slackware, I just come here because the only good slackware commutity around is on Linuxquestions and theres nothing fun about LQ

Personally, I don't see any reason to put any patchsets in portage aside from things that can be offically supported, such as gentoo-(dev-)sources/vanilla/development-sources.
Runing slack and beeing here? COOL! Welcome.....
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:
steveb wrote:
ecskier wrote:
MockieMoo wrote:

cheers

SteveB

Runing slack and beeing here? COOL! Welcome.....

heh, good to be welcomed.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
Here? In the Gentoo forum? Always! We are nice to almost everyone. :)
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:

good to know :P
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitro sources now focused on stability? Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
steveb wrote:
predatorfreak wrote:

good to know :P
Did you expected something else?
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to point out that while you allmighty power tripping developers don't want to include a package in portage to make things easier for people that want to use it and those who already do, you include worthless packages like http://linuxtrade.rkkda.com/ which has been discontinued and does not work.

Thanks to the decisions made by the elite developers I have to check the forums if new versions are out, then download them, digest them, and THEN finally emerge them (and that's if I had portage overlay already from previous versions, unlike newly installed machines). Meanwhile I can still emerge junk that doesn't work to begin with.

There's nothing to argue with here. Supported or not, it works for most people and the people that enjoy using it shouldn't have to go through this much trouble to get it just because the developers have the "We are the allmighty developers and we won't include it because we say so!" attitude.

Besides the kernel states it's experimental when you emerge it, and you could add something else to it like "don't bug us in the forums because we're the developers" so people don't bug you. Simple.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see tuxamd is taking over the FUD where lovechild left off.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:
I would just like to point out that while you allmighty power tripping developers don't want to include a package in portage to make things easier for people that want to use it and those who already do, you include worthless packages like http://linuxtrade.rkkda.com/ which has been discontinued and does not work.

Thanks to the decisions made by the elite developers I have to check the forums if new versions are out, then download them, digest them, and THEN finally emerge them (and that's if I had portage overlay already from previous versions, unlike newly installed machines). Meanwhile I can still emerge junk that doesn't work to begin with.

There's nothing to argue with here. Supported or not, it works for most people and the people that enjoy using it shouldn't have to go through this much trouble to get it just because the developers have the "We are the allmighty developers and we won't include it because we say so!" attitude.

Besides the kernel states it's experimental when you emerge it, and you could add something else to it like "don't bug us in the forums because we're the developers" so people don't bug you. Simple.

Jeez... stop beating your little fists on the floor, get up and wipe off your cry-baby cheeks. If you will go to the extra effort of causing yourself problems with an "ooo experimental superfast" kernel. Then you will most likely have no problems typing forums.gentoo.org into your browser and taking a quick peek for new versions. Those forums are meant to not only show you that there are new versions, but also to inform you of what patches are being applied to your kernel.
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Jeez... stop beating your little fists on the floor, get up and wipe off your cry-baby cheeks. If you will go to the extra effort of causing yourself problems with an "ooo experimental superfast" kernel. Then you will most likely have no problems typing forums.gentoo.org into your browser and taking a quick peek for new versions. Those forums are meant to not only show you that there are new versions, but also to inform you of what patches are being applied to your kernel.

You completely missed the point of the whole post and your reply was irrelevant. First of all it's not a "ooo experimental superfast" kernel. It has great useful patches which I like, such as the increased hid mouse interrupt polling for high dpi mice to improve FPS games, and reiser4 support. Those 2 alone are enough to make me use it over stable gentoo kernels. It's also got other good things like win4lin support built in. Don't talk about something you have no clue about. I've never had any serious problems with this kernel, and the benefits are all worth it even if I did get minor problems.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

You completely missed the point of the whole post and your reply was irrelevant. First of all it's not a "ooo experimental superfast" kernel. It has great useful patches which I like, such as the increased hid mouse interrupt polling for high dpi mice to improve FPS games, and reiser4 support. Those 2 alone are enough to make me use it over stable gentoo kernels. It's also got other good things like win4lin support built in. Don't talk about something you have no clue about. I've never had any serious problems with this kernel, and the benefits are all worth it even if I did get minor problems.

Minor problems are great! Reiser4 destroyed my important files! Any developer needs increased hid mouse interrupt polling for improving their ability to use their stable development environment! I agree with you fully, lets get this in portage now! (beats fists on ground)
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked actual developers were a small fraction of linux users. You should have had backups then if you lost your "important" files, which were probably not important anyways. And I never said it's needed for a stable environment, I specified the uses and reasons for having them but you completely ignored them. Glad you agree that it should go in portage because you can't deny that I'm right even though you try :).
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:
Last time I checked actual developers were a small fraction of linux users. You should have had backups then if you lost your "important" files, which were probably not important anyways. And I never said it's needed for a stable environment, I specified the uses and reasons for having them but you completely ignored them. Glad you agree that it should go in portage because you can't deny that I'm right even though you try :).

The horse you are flogging died over a year ago.
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so? Care to explain instead of making 1 lined pointless posts? I've explained all my reasons, I didn't just make a 1 line post saying put it in portage and that's it.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:

True, it is completely unneeded for a stable environment. Saying this, it's only usage is in an unstable environment, that you have to frequently backup unimportant files, because of a ticking timebomb filesystem. Also, I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Gentoo's main focus is to provide a stable system for developers.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:
How so? Care to explain instead of making 1 lined pointless posts? I've explained all my reasons, I didn't just make a 1 line post saying put it in portage and that's it.

I've already explained it repeatedly. Check every other time that this has been requested.
tuxamd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs as stable for me as any other gentoo kernels ever did, and file systems too. I've even spoke with Mr. Reiser himself, it should be more stable by now. I don't see what you people are complaining about.

Besides it's not hard to backup, just cron a stage4 script and that's it.

ciaranm wrote:
I've already explained it repeatedly. Check every other time that this has been requested.

I did, and all I ever saw was a bunch of hot air from neophobic developers who are afraid of new things and have this perception that if they put it in portage suddenly a swarm of posts are going to show up asking for help. Right :roll: .
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxamd wrote:
It runs as stable for me as any other gentoo kernels ever did, and file systems too. I've even spoke with Mr. Reiser himself, it should be more stable by now. I don't see what you people are complaining about.

Besides it's not hard to backup, just cron a stage4 script and that's it.

ciaranm wrote:

I did, and all I ever saw was a bunch of hot air from developers who are afraid of new things.

Do you like Gentoo? Seriously, does it work well for you? It was built on hot air.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: