Cooking with AMD64 :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Cooking with AMD64 :) Reply with quote

Alrighty. I've been monkeying around with a Genoo install for amd64, and i have to say i am impressed. One of the reasons i wasn't originally going to bother with amd64 was lack of software support, but now it's gotten to the point where every disto of Linux and *BSD i'm aware of have a stable amd64 version, and a healthy number of open source apps are stable in amd64. i get the impression that given enough time, there will be an amd64 version of, or at least an amd64 alternative to, every app the weekend *nix tinkerer would need and want.

but of course, not everything plays nice right at the moment. there are still a lot of things that for various reasons (whether it be difficulty of coding, or simply politics :lol:) don't install and work out of the box on amd64; or they work but not as well as one would like.

However, the amd64 Gentoo community has turned out to be pretty resourceful, and so far i have found on these forums a hack or workaround for everything i've wanted but wouldn't install through a standard emerge.

Basically, what i want this thread to be is a general purpose repository (not suppository though ;) ) for suggestions, tips, and hacks you think would be helpful for other AMD64 users, especially newbs who are trying to jump on the amd64 Gentoo bus. :) that way we have a central place to find stuff, rather than having to dig for everything.

this doesn't mean, of course, it has to be limited to stuff that is for amd64 only. for instance, my first suggestion is that if you are installing a fresh install of Gentoo, you don't mind taking the extra time for an clean and fast system, and you are an intermediate/advanced user (newbers may want to stick to the gentoo handbook), you consider doing a Stage 1 NPTL install on a Stage 3 tarball (link). I had a successful install using this method on amd64, and it works great. (I've heard that 2005.0 will make this install method irrelevant though.) I've reported on some caveats on that install method for amd64 here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-274968-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-300.html#2141417
and any support for the install method should be requested here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2123839.html

i just ask that you this not become a "i need help with XYZ" thread. if you are posting a tip or a hack, if possible please link back to the thread you got it from so newbs and other people who need help with it can ask there. otherwise, other discussion is welcome.

(if this is better suited for the Doc, Tips, and Tricks forum, my apologies. a mod is free to move it there if they wish.)
nudd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one. If your /lib64 -> /lib or /usr/lib64 -> /usr/lib symlink gets totally b0rked by something like, say xorg, the cleanest (but long) way to fix it (until they ship the 2005.0 no-symlinks script) is by doing this:

-------------------------------
(From the AMD64 Mailing List)

After too much thinking and checking, i've did the following:
1) boot from livecd
2) move /usr/lib/* to /usr/lib64/ (cp -Ru)
3) symlink /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib
4) emerge -eu world (the -u is not really required...)
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many apologies for not being more regular with updates to this thread. i was going to post a while back, but Firefox crashed and i lost my work... i was frustrated enough that i didn't bother to work on it again, right away.

Our topic today: Installing Flash on AMD64

Yup. this fun old topic. And at the time of this posting, we are still waiting for Macromedia to release an AMD64 binary of Flash for Linux. But i'm not holding my breath.

However lacking that, we do have a few options, depending what your usage of Flash will be. Each option has some sort of trade-off, and thus there will be no "one size fits all" sort of solution. (But of course, you all know the shpeal, "Gentoo is all about choices" :lol:). I'll start by outlining the different options. Then i'll get into the details.

Option 1: GPL Flash with 64bit Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape. Aparently someone managed to get a "testing" version of this to work. Not well mind you, but good enough for minimal usage. This is a recommended install method for users who really don't care for flash, but need it for certain sites that require it.

Option 2: Swfdec with 64bit Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape. This is NOT recommended. I have not heard of any amd64 users getting an install of swfdec to work. Option listed only for testing purposes, etc.

Option 3: 32bit Flash in 64bit Konqueror (presumably for KDE users). This is actually quite stable. It is recommended for those who use Konqeror as their primary web browser, or else don't mind switching browsers for flash stuff. Note: this will NOT work for any other 64bit browsers.

Option 4: 32bit Flash in 32bit Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape. This is ideal for folks who would rather stick to Firefox/etc. for everything, or has other 32bit plugins which don't work with the Option 3 method. IMO, this is the most stable, and thus is the suggested method for folks who regularly browse H*R, albinoblacksheep, or other sites. I've tried both 32bit and 64bit Firefox. I have not noticed any performance differences, and IMO 32bit seems a bit more stable.

***You may notice that I don't cover other web browsers, because I have not tested this out on anything other than Firefox and Konqueror. If you know one of these works on another browser, please let me know and I'll edit it into this post!

For all of these, I assume you already have the desired browser emerged and read to go. In some cases the 32bit emul libraries are required; I also assume you also have them installed.***

[Hereafter, when I say "Gecko browser" I mean, Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape, whichever you use or plan to use]

For 32bit Flash (i.e., for Options 3 and 4), we actually have two further options on how to install Flash specifically. At the time of writing portage has an up-to-date version of Flash, so it's just a matter of install preference.

Alternative A: 32bit Flash from portage. This is the easiest method, and you get updates directly from portage. Simply emerge netscape-flash. this is a "set it and forget it" option, since it'll update automatically whenever there is a new version in portage and you update world.

Alternative B: Download Flash from the Macromedia site. unfortunately, portage sometimes lags behind. At the moment, the portage version is up to date. However, this alternative is presented in case in the future you want/need a new version of Flash which isn't in portage. Note that if you originally emerged a portage version of flash, it might be a good idea to unmerge it first.

To install Flash using the version from Macromedia.com:
1. Go here, and click "Download": http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
2. Go to where the file was saved to (probably your home folder).
3. Extract the install_flash_*.tar.gz file.
4. Go into the directory that is created.
5. Copy the files, flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so to the folder: /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins (pretty much ignore the shell script, as it would complain about not using the right architecture anyways. You basically just did all that it does).
6. (Note: if you are using 64bit Gecko, don't do step 5 yet. In theory it shouldn't mess up your browser until you close it and open it again, but let's not test that out ;) Yes, 32bit flash will kill 64bit Gecko if it gets loaded.)

Alright, let's get to the brass tacks!

Option 1: GPL Flash with 64bit Gecko browser.
gplflash is an open source alternative to the proprietary Flash player. My understanding is that it is reverse engineered. Here I provide the recommended install method. For reference, an alternative method can be found here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-304199-highlight-gplflash.html
Please go to that thread if you need help.

(1.) if necessary, as root create the folder "/etc/portage"
Code:
# mkdir /etc/portage

2. The version of gplflash that works is masked as "testing" for amd64. So, we need to put the necessary line in your keywords file:
Code:
# echo "=net-www/gplflash-0.4.13 ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

3. emerge gplflash.
4. Symlink the folder gplflash was installed to to the folder Gecko will look for plugins.
Code:
# ln -s /opt/netscape/plugins /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins

(Alternatively, you could just copy the resultant plugin from the opt/netscape/plugins directory to the nsbrowser/plugins directory.)
5. If you have a gecko browser open, close it, and then restart it. Type "about:plugins" in the URL bar (without the quotes) and hit enter. It should report that you have the Flash plugin.

Option 2: Swfdec. Again this is not recommended. The install method is pretty much the same as for gplflash. It is masked for amd64, so if you do want to install this, you will have to do the package.keywords thing too.

Option 3: 32bit Flash in 64bit Konqueror: It is actually quite interesting that this works with Konqueror (thanks to the emulation libraries). To my knowledge this will NOT work with any other browser. Support for this method should go here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=216959

1. Download this: http://www.froq.net/flash64/flash64.tar.bz2
2. Extract it.
3. In your terminal, go to the flash64 directory as root, wherever you isntalled it to.
4. Run the install script:
Code:
# ./setup.sh

This will replace a component of Konqueror so it can detect and use 32bit plugins.
(note that if you ever need/want to revert back, just run the "restore.sh" script.)
5. Install Flash from either Alternative A or B above.

NOTE: if you plan to use a 64bit Gecko browser, do NOT symlink to the /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins, nor copy the plugin files there. 32bit Flash will cause Gecko to die immediately if you run into any flash files. If you used Alternative A or already set this up, move the plugin files to a different folder and use that folder in step 9, or if it's a symlink you can destroy the link.

6. Open Konqueror.
7. In the menu bar, open "Settings," and then "Configure Konqueror..."
8. Scroll down to "Plugins"
9. In the "Netscape Plugins" section, verify that "/opt/netscape/plugins" is there. If not, add it.
10. Click "Scan for New Plugins."
(11.) Check the "Plugins" tab to verify that Konqeuror found the flash plugin.
(12.) Oh yeah, and while you are in the "Plugins" tab, make sure that "Use artsdsp..." is NOT checked.

Option 4: 32bit Flash with 32bit Gecko-based browser. This one is for the most part straight forward. Assuming you already emerged a 32-bit gecko (e.g., "mozilla-firefox-bin" in portage):
1. Install Flash using Alternative A or B above.
2. Symlink the necessary plugins folder. E.g.:
Code:
# ln -s /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins

(Alternatively, you could just copy the plugin files to the appropriate directory.)
3. If you have a gecko browser open, close it, and then start it again.
(4.) In the URL bar, type "about:plugins" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Verify that the Gecko browser did detect the Flash plugins.

Finally.... If you used Options 3 or 4, let's test it out :)
www.homestarrunner.com
www.albinoblacksheep.com
www.angryalien.com
:)

Appendix A: But wait! I get no sound with flash in KDE. This is quite a common problem, as evidenced by the various threads here (and in the multimedia section). Many possible solutions have been suggested; however, here I will tell you how i fixed it.

(Note: unfortunately, users of other xwindows managers have had the same problem, but I only know KDE. sorry.)

First, if you are using the Macromedia version of Flash, make sure you are updated to 7.0 or greater. 7.x seems to have fewer audio problems than 6.x or earlier. Updgrade it if necessary. If you still don't have sound, read on.

Second, verify you are in the audio group, just in case. In KDE, the easy way to do this is to use KUser (in the System list in your "start" menu).

Third, verify that you have OSS compatibility enabled. See the Gentoo docs for Alsa.

Fourth, verify that you get sound as root (again, just in case... this will indicate you probably have the same problem as i did). do the unthinkable: log into KDE as root (just this once. we don't want to anger the Linux fairies). Open your browser, and play a Flash video/game. You should have sound.

Log back into your user account and start KDE. Final test, open a browser window, and open Konsole. In the terminal, enter:
Code:
$ killall artsd

Then in the browser window, open a Flash file. Make sure you DON'T cause any system sounds (e.g. don't open any new windows, etc). If you now have sound, we know what the problem is.

The problem here is that artsd, the sound daemon for KDE, doesn't detach right away when a sound is play. Meaning, when you open a window and it makes that "bling bling" sound ( ;) ), it takes 60 seconds for artsd to go away. This is fine for other apps, but Flash doesn't like this. To fix the problem, go to the KDE "Control Center." Under "Sound & Multimedia," access "Sound System." Here you will see a section for "Auto-Suspend." By default, it is set to 60 seconds. Change it to something considerably lower, like 1 or 2 seconds (or, maybe disable it, but i haven't tried this myself). You should now have sound, so long as you not have any sounds go off immediately before the flash starts to load.

If this doesn't help, then you will have to search the forums. Apparently, there are quite a few problems that could cause this. But try this first as it worked for me.

[Edit history]
3/?/05: (1) I have not heard of anyone actually getting swfdec to work; status dropped to not recommended. (2) Added note to Flash sound section about updating to v. 7. (3) Fixed a critical error in my Option 3 instructions.
4/18/05: Editted the gplflash instructions so that only the specific version is unmasked, not gplflash as a whole (also realized i goofed on the date of the last update, considering there aren't 39+ days in March :-P )

Last edited by Sheepdogj15 on Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
kLy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this, no matter what I run as:

Code:

$ aoss firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libaoss.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think this would be logical since the OSS libraries are 64bit and so the 32bit firefox won't pick them up :( how do you get sound to work? :(

(btw. the file is there... I did check, and alsa-oss is emerged and alsa is also emerged with the oss flag)
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and /me dont have a java (blackdown) working :) i try it fix for over week :) and nothing
flash i have from Nescape
BlauwVoet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwe wrote:
and /me dont have a java (blackdown) working :) i try it fix for over week :) and nothing
flash i have from Nescape

do you mean blackdown-java itself isn't working, or only the plugin for your 64bit firefox/mozilla/... ?

I experienced the latter case. The plugin is installed in /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/amd64/mozilla/.
simply symlinking "libjavaplugin_oji.so" into /usr/lib64/nsbrowse, and restarting firefox, should do the trick.

Code:
# ln -s /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib64/nsbrowse
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its plugin :)
and its still dont working :/

i did:
Code:
ln -s /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib64/nsbrowse

and
Code:
ln -s /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib64/nsbrowse/plugins

1st & 2nd didnt do anything :/
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did limliks "everything with everything" and still nothing. any ideas ?

ff-1.0.2, blackdown-jre, flash-netscape

ps i have in my /opt this blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01. i need this? this is (i think) programers stuff, if it is true i dont need this, i use only php

thanks
vyzivus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, I tried the gplflash but it crashes firefox in this flash: http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com/oldindex.html
So I rather stick with swfdec which is able to play at least some of those flash stupidities. I have problem with sun-jdk-1.5.0.02 - i have emerged it with the 'mozilla' use flag, firefox with the 'java' useflag but firefox is not able to run java-stuff. There is nothing like *javaplugin*.so in /opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.02/ directory, and nothing like *java* in the /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins directory.

EDIT:
pwe wrote:
ps i have in my /opt this blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01. i need this? this is (i think) programers stuff, if it is true i dont need this, i use only php

JDK=Java Development Kit, if you don't develop in java you may use JRE=Java Runtime Environment. JDK is JRE plus tons of documentation, compiler etc.
AussieAndrew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheepdogj15 wrote:
Option 1: GPL Flash with 64bit Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape. Aparently someone managed to get a "testing" version of this to work. Not well mind you, but good enough for minimal usage. This is a recommended install method for users who really don't care for flash, but need it for certain sites that require it.

strange.. I dont even remember install gplflash but it sure is there and it works reasonably well (some of the animations appear too quickly).
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i can umerge java-jdk ? ok thanks
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fu***** sun! sorry but i still cant run this java-plugin for Firefox-bin!

in opera is this problem ?
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kLy wrote:
I get this, no matter what I run as:

Code:

$ aoss firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libaoss.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think this would be logical since the OSS libraries are 64bit and so the 32bit firefox won't pick them up :( how do you get sound to work? :(

(btw. the file is there... I did check, and alsa-oss is emerged and alsa is also emerged with the oss flag)

aoss firefox, artsdsp firefox, etc do NOT work for amd64. this is why you should first try what i posted on my Flash post. i have NO clue why these don't work, but they are a known problem. don't even bother troubleshooting them.
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwe wrote:
fu***** sun! sorry but i still cant run this java-plugin for Firefox-bin!

in opera is this problem ?

mozilla-firefox-bin is 32bit, and for very technical reasons 64bit plugins (like the amd64 Java) will not work with it.

now, somewhere in this forum, someone got a 32bit version of Java installed, and it worked with firefox-bin. i have not bothered with it since i don't care for Java. but i would like it if someone did a write up on it for this thread, if they do get it to work.
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
maybe someday Sun will write 64tit edition of Java, and macromedia too
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the unpleasant problem of having to run 32bit firefox for flash and 64bit for java.
Insane. Will this nightmare ever end?
pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree, insane, but boys from Sun and macromedia have fun
vyzivus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is 64bit version of java. Just try to emerge sun-jdk-1.5.0.02-r1 (it's package-masked, you need to unmask it in the package.unmask file). It works well for me, however there are following problems:
- No firefox/mozilla support afaik
- Many packages can't get compiled with Java5.0 because of many new features and updated packages. Xalan is an example of such a package. Interesting is that when you manage to compile it somehow, it runs without any problems
- There is no 64bit Sun java other than 5.0 - no 1.4.2 etc, only 5.0
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axelmasok wrote:
I have the unpleasant problem of having to run 32bit firefox for flash and 64bit for java.

oh oh oh! and let me guess, when you use 64bit and go to a site taht uses flash ads (like www.dictionary.com) it crashes like a fiend. :lol: same when 32bit runs into java?

i've done the 32bit + 64bit thing. no, it doesn't work out well at all.
nutznboltz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axelmasok wrote:

Run 32-bit firefox (www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin)
grab Linux self-extracting file of Sun JRE 1.5 for x86
unarchive as regular user in $HOME dir (well mkdir ~/java ; cd ~/java)
as root "cd /opt/firefox/plugins ; ln -s ~myuser/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so . "
Nightmare ends.
planckscnst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am attempting option 3 (32 bit plugin in 64 bit konq)
I followed the steps up to confirming that konqueror sees the flash plugin; it does not. Any Ideas?

setup.sh seemed to complete successfully
flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so are indeed in the /opt/netscape/plugins/ directory.
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planckscnst wrote:
I am attempting option 3 (32 bit plugin in 64 bit konq)
I followed the steps up to confirming that konqueror sees the flash plugin; it does not. Any Ideas?

setup.sh seemed to complete successfully
flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so are indeed in the /opt/netscape/plugins/ directory.

I had to edit the Scan Folders for Konqueror in Settings->Plugins first: I found there were a few /usr/lib directories with the wrong name. But then I think it still didn't work properly until I installed KMPlayer. Now I just get the 100% CPU utilisation problem. :\ (Lucky I have two CPUs!) Good luck, cheers.

Edit: Actually, it still works after I uninstalled KMPlayer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: