chroot via nfs. Will this work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: chroot via nfs. Will this work? Reply with quote

I'm so a genious (of course, I'm joking).

I'm playing around with that 486 (still) but find that it's a pain compiling things on it. So instead of transfering the hd into a more (relatively) performant box, I tought instead "why not chroot from my Celeron 600 box thrue nfs to the hard drive on the 486?". They both run Gentoo and up to date.

In theory, it should work since it is basically the same hack as when booting from the ramdisk stage1 and then chroot to your hard drive after it's been partitionned and formated... but I have some doubts, mainly about the kernel.

What I do is to mount the nfs volume, chroot to it, etc-update and source /etc/profile. So it's almost like if I had transfered the hard drive into the Celeron. Now, can I safely emerge stuff on it? Is the chrooted /proc will conflict in anything (since they are from another box)? I know now that I'm using the Celeron's CPU, memory and kernel, but is that going to work or am I heading into a wall here?

Tought I'd inquire the brains behind this forum before I potentialy short out my two setups.

Thanx.
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing this and was wondering if you had any luck.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem to work but the only flaw in this approach is the /dev that are not identical. Also, there is the /proc that I don't know what to do with, if it has an influence or not. For the moment, I mount the /proc with -bind and I take care not emerging softs that uses a devices (which is not that obvious).

Another more elegant alternative has been suggested to me with the Distcc distributed compilation. I havent tried it yet. I'm in the process of syncing the glibc library and the compilers.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
It seem to work but the only flaw in this approach is the /dev that are not identical. Also, there is the /proc that I don't know what to do with, if it has an influence or not.

I think there's no reason why that would be a problem: /dev and /proc will "suit" the machine you're comping from, right?
What you're doing is no different from physically moving the harddisk into a different PC and placing it back afterwards.
I'd say it's perfectly safe.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no. /proc is empty and only the symlinks of /dev are exported. My 1st attempt has been to emerge ppp-(?) and it puked some errors when came time to configure/compile things concerning devices (pppN surely/maybe).
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right. I "forgot" nfs means at least two running PC's :oops:
Sorry 'bout that piece of bad advice above.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: