Succsessfull 2005.0 fresh install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slegge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Succsessfull 2005.0 fresh install Reply with quote

Figured i'd post what i've gotn to work, since most threads here is about things that dont work.

Hardware:
M/B: Gigabyte K8NXP-Sli (w/pci wlan card) (Nforce 4 chipset)
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+
Ram: 1 gig
HDD: Seagate baracuda, ATA
Sound: Creative Audigy
Video: POV PCX 6600 (geforce 6600)

I installed from scratch using the 2005.0 profile as described in this post, using livecd from this post. I had some minor problems, most of them already had a solution on this forum somwhere.

I ran into two problems that, afaik, isn't mentioned on the forums yet. The worst one beeing LVM. The lvm package installed on the live cd worked fine, however, when rebooting after installing i got an error about not finding /dev/mapper/controll. This was fixed by upgrading LVM2 to version 2.00.33-r1. (After this i set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64", figuring out that would work mostly just as good as unmasking spesific packages all the time). When booting with the new version of LVM it started complaining about not finding some libraries that's located in /usr/lib. As my /usr is an lvm volume this messed things up a bit. In order to fix this i reemerged LVM2 using the "static" flag. (V. 2.00.33-r2 dosn't have "static" as a use flag, so i'm not sure if this will work or not)

When installing nvidia drivers, i first tried version 7167, but then xorg (6.8.2-r1) couldn't find the nvidia drivers. A manual search didn't show the driver installed at all, so i moved down to 6629 and everything worked like a charm.

At this point i have installed xorg, kde, firefox, thunderbird, ++ and all seems to be working without a glitch. I haven't tested onboard audio, IEE1394, USB and the WLAN card yet. I'll report back once i get them working.
UltraNull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot too. The 2005.0-rc1 livecd is the only one that plays nice with my NIC (rt8139), so I have no choice anyway ;)
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same thing and have a 2005.0 install sitting right next to me :). Now I just have to go through the laborious process of moving selected parts of my old home directory over and tweaking to perfection..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: