Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it!"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
seppe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 431
Location: Hove, Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: 2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it!" Reply with quote

Hi :)

Finally I found some time to create a new nitro-sources again all by myself (except for software suspend 2 where Darckness fixed some errors). This one is a brand new nitro-sources for 2.6.11, it should be rather stable now because a lot of crazy things (like IT, cflags-selection-patch, ...) are dropped. From now on, nitro-sources will focus more on stability and will be less experimental. But, it will still be optimized for desktop and gaming usage, as well in features as in speed, for as well desktops as laptops. The "speed" part is done by the patches by Con Kolivas, those patches will tweak the kernel for desktop usage. With "features" I mean things like Software Suspend 2, vesafb-tng, gensplash and Win4Lin. I just hope now that it's really as stable as I claim here. At least I tested all patches this time, and they all compiled cleanly here.

Notes
Code:

2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it" - created by seppe on 13/03/2005
**************************************************************
from_linux-2.6.11_to_linux-2.6.11.2 | Obvious and security fixes for 2.6.11 (thx Linus)
from_linux-2.6.11.2_to_linux-2.6.11.2-ac2 | Alan Cox patch set for 2.6.11 (thx Alan)
reiser4_from_2.6.11-mm3 | Reiser4, the fastest filesystem on earth (thx Hans Reiser)
vesafb-tng-0.9-rc6-2.6.11 | vesafb-tng, a better vesa framebuffer (thx Spock)
inotify-0.20-rml-2.6.11-3 | Inotify file change notification support (thx RML)
config-nr-tty-devices | config /dev/tty* count for a cleaner /dev (thx anonymous author)
# start of patch-2.6.11-ck2
2.6.11_to_staircase10.5 | Staircase CPU Scheduler (thx Con)
schedrange | Eases addition of scheduling policies (thx Con)
schedbatch2.7 | Idle cpu scheduling (thx Con)
schediso2.11 | Unprivileged low latency cpu scheduling (thx Con)
mapped_watermark3 | Lighter memory scanning under light loads and less swapping (thx Con)
1g_lowmem1_i386 | Support 1GB of memory without enabling HIGHMEM (thx Con)
cddvd-cmdfilter-drop | Support normal user burning of cds (thx Con)
nvidia_6111-6629_compat2 | Make nvidia compile support easier (thx Con)
cfq-ts-21 | Complete fair queueing timeslice i/o scheduler v21 (thx Jens and Con)
defaultcfq | Enable the cfq I/O scheduler by default (thx Con)
isobatch_ionice2 | Support for i/o priorities suitable for SCHED_ISO and SCHED_BATCH tasks (thx Con)
rt_ionice | Support for i/o priority suitable for real time tasks (thx Con)
s10.5_s10.6 | Staircase scheduler update (thx Con)
cfq-ts21-fix | Fixes for CFQ (thx Jens and Con)
# end of patch-2.6.11-ck2
linux-2.6.10-cpad.diff | Support for more than 1 CPad (thx Jan)
lufs-0.9.7 | Linux Userland Filesystems (thx Florin)
fbsplash-0.9.2-2.6.11 | Fbsplash/Gensplash, a bootsplash replacement (thx Spock)
software_suspend-2.1.8.2 | Software Suspend 2 & Win4Lin, run Win9x & suspend your PC (thx Darckness 4 fix)
squashfs2.1-r2 | SquashFS, a compressed fs for Linux (thx Phillip)
daconfig-2.2.0 | Show release name in menuconfig (thx DaMouse)
config_hz | Set internal kernel frequency (thx Con)
varstacks-2.6.11 | Variable stacks (thx Tiger683)
chmp_with_menuconfig_option | Configurable HID Mouse Polling, already in BK (thx krautz)
add-timing-information-to-printk-messages | timing information at boottime (thx Andrew)
change_kernel_version | Call this release 2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it"


As you see I tried to thank all the original creators of the patches for their hard work. If something is incorrect, please let us now.

Download
Ebuild
patch file (bz2)
Notes
Broken-out patches

Install instructions for first time users
Code:

1. Download the ebuild
2. mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
3. cd /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
4. mv /path/to/nitro-sources-2.6.11-r1.ebuild .
5. edit /etc/make.conf and make sure that "/usr/local/portage" is added to PORTDIR_OVERLAY
6. ebuild nitro-sources-2.6.11-r1.ebuild digest
7. emerge nitro-sources
8. cd  /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-nitro1 and compile your kernel


Have a great day! :)
_________________
nitro-sources, because between stable and experimental there exists only speed

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1


Last edited by seppe on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:39 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
discomfitor
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 927
Location: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add that nitro is not about "ricing". We do NOT encourage ricing, nor do we engage in it. The only "speed" that you will gain from using nitro-sources is the same as what you will gain using ck-sources. If you do not need any of the extra features included in nitro, don't use it expecting anything spectacular. All you're getting is ck, plus extra features such as vesafb-tng, fbsplash, and swsusp2+win4lin. If you want rice, go to the supermarket. That's why cflags-selection is no longer in.

Regardless of past actions, this is our current stance. Do not question it. Acts of ricery will not be supported.
_________________
There is no substitute for experience.
Imperfection indicates a lack of effort.


Last edited by discomfitor on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 2915
Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
If you want rice, go to the supermarket.

That makes my "quote of the day" list! :lol:
_________________
Murphy's Law of Gentoo installation: If a compile can fail, it will.

MacGillicuddy's Corollary: At the most inopportune time.

Please search and read the FAQs before posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sk98lin work?? So this patchet will not be NITRO fast anymore?
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seppe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 431
Location: Hove, Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin79 wrote:
Does sk98lin work?? So this patchet will not be NITRO fast anymore?

It's just the same as before, only very experimental patches like cflags-selection-patch and genetic-lib are left out. It will stay as responsive as always thanks to Con Kolivas' patches which are still in (and will always stay in). Especially the Staircase scheduler and Mapped Watermark patch (which eliminates swap usage as much as possible) optimizes everything for desktop usage.

I can't help you with sk98lin, I've never used that myself .. so I guess the best thing is to test it out yourself ;)
_________________
nitro-sources, because between stable and experimental there exists only speed

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smithjd15
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 129
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So this patchet will not be NITRO fast anymore?


Read the second post. It'll still be nitro-fast, it just won't cook you dinner. :twisted:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing now.. Cause nitro is the best :( have used it forever started with love and know iam using love again cause the one before this hardlocked for me all the time.. SYSTEM IS GOING DOWN FOR REBOOT NOW.. i post back l8 how it works..
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk98lin dosent work :( damm shit love has the patch in their latest love2 mabey you can get it from them if you aint got it yourself?

i found a file here and tried to patch it will recompile now and test if it works...
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/zip/linux/install-8_13.tar.bz2

EDIT. Compiled cleanly rebooting and trying now. EDIT
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org


Last edited by Robin79 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Posts: 1347
Location: Heffner's House

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

Still not back for good, but i think there was a patch i sent to Darckness that made the sk98lin work.

Now, back to the trouble of my life....... :/

T
_________________
Retired gentoo user
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works..
Code:

(siegfried@gentoo)-(pts)-(19:58:08 sön mar 13)->
(~/)-> uname -a
Linux gentoo 2.6.11-nitro1 #2 SMP Sun Mar 13 19:45:28 CET 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2206
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin79 wrote:
sk98lin dosent work :( damm shit love has the patch in their latest love2 mabey you can get it from them if you aint got it yourself?
:)

Robin79 : You forget to change You sig from damm shit love also ;)

Sorry I can`t resist :)
Some people exactly know what I mean :)
WB Seppe :)

cheers:)
_________________
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
Robin79 wrote:
sk98lin dosent work :( damm shit love has the patch in their latest love2 mabey you can get it from them if you aint got it yourself?
:)

Robin79 : You forget to change You sig from damm shit love also ;)

Sorry I can`t resist :)
Some people exactly know what I mean :)
WB Seppe :)

cheers:)


lol i ment dk98lin dosent work :( damm shit. love has this patch i didnt mean that love was shit. Sorry..
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
discomfitor
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 927
Location: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin79: Try adding this patch and see if it fixes sk98lin.

EDIT: Whoops...sorry about that. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep for 3 days, so I'm not at my full potential ;). Glad you got it working.
_________________
There is no substitute for experience.
Imperfection indicates a lack of effort.


Last edited by discomfitor on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Robin79: Try adding this patch and see if it fixes sk98lin.


You can read what i wrote??? look up 2 posts i found the patch on sysconnects site and patched it and it works...

np m8 :)
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
()
l33t
l33t


Joined: 25 Nov 2002
Posts: 610

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New kernel looks good so far. Thanks, Seppe.
_________________
to be concerned is good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin79
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 632
Location: /home/valdemarsvik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardlocked me iam back to love2 :/
_________________
Gentoo 2005.0
ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe MB
Intel P4 3.2GHz
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellz_hunter
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...whats 'ricing' :?:
p.s. im getting the new kernel now, hopefully ill have as much luck as everyone else is having with it
and i dont think anyone should worry about where the dev's are taking the nitro-source
its gone this far, and we love it, i doubt they will disappoint
_________________
Even the rats grow bolder in the night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Illissius
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 395
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Fucking politics. Whatever happened to providing the features people want, whether they be ricey or not? (Don't answer. Politics killed it.)
And who's to decide what's 'ricey' and what's not, anyways? One could as well apply the same label to configurable mouse polling, reiser4, varstacks, and probably half of everything else.
I just find this whole ciaranm-and-gentoo_lan-got-their-panties-in-a-bunch-so-let's-remove-cflags-to-impress-them thing dumb, even if I don't use it. I doubt they'll suddenly become nitro lovers overnight just because you removed cflags. If people want to boost their egos by flaming nitro, ignore and/or fuck em.

Anyways. Sorry for the rant.

*compiles*
8-)
_________________
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.
last.fm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 708
Location: USA, Michigan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it!" Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
Hi :)

Finally I found some time to create a new nitro-sources again all by myself (except for software suspend 2 where Darckness fixed some errors). This one is a brand new nitro-sources for 2.6.11, it should be rather stable now because a lot of crazy things (like IT, cflags-selection-patch, ...) are dropped. From now on, nitro-sources will focus more on stability and will be less experimental. But, it will still be optimized for desktop and gaming usage, as well in features as in speed, for as well desktops as laptops. The "speed" part is done by the patches by Con Kolivas, those patches will tweak the kernel for desktop usage. With "features" I mean things like Software Suspend 2, vesafb-tng, gensplash and Win4Lin. I just hope now that it's really as stable as I claim here. At least I tested all patches this time, and they all compiled cleanly here.

Notes
Code:

2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it" - created by seppe on 13/03/2005
**************************************************************
from_linux-2.6.11_to_linux-2.6.11.2 | Obvious and security fixes for 2.6.11 (thx Linus)
from_linux-2.6.11.2_to_linux-2.6.11.2-ac2 | Alan Cox patch set for 2.6.11 (thx Alan)
reiser4_from_2.6.11-mm3 | Reiser4, the fastest filesystem on earth (thx Hans Reiser)
vesafb-tng-0.9-rc6-2.6.11 | vesafb-tng, a better vesa framebuffer (thx Spock)
inotify-0.20-rml-2.6.11-3 | Inotify file change notification support (thx RML)
config-nr-tty-devices | config /dev/tty* count for a cleaner /dev (thx anonymous author)
# start of patch-2.6.11-ck2
2.6.11_to_staircase10.5 | Staircase CPU Scheduler (thx Con)
schedrange | Eases addition of scheduling policies (thx Con)
schedbatch2.7 | Idle cpu scheduling (thx Con)
schediso2.11 | Unprivileged low latency cpu scheduling (thx Con)
mapped_watermark3 | Lighter memory scanning under light loads and less swapping (thx Con)
1g_lowmem1_i386 | Support 1GB of memory without enabling HIGHMEM (thx Con)
cddvd-cmdfilter-drop | Support normal user burning of cds (thx Con)
nvidia_6111-6629_compat2 | Make nvidia compile support easier (thx Con)
cfq-ts-21 | Complete fair queueing timeslice i/o scheduler v21 (thx Jens and Con)
defaultcfq | Enable the cfq I/O scheduler by default (thx Con)
isobatch_ionice2 | Support for i/o priorities suitable for SCHED_ISO and SCHED_BATCH tasks (thx Con)
rt_ionice | Support for i/o priority suitable for real time tasks (thx Con)
s10.5_s10.6 | Staircase scheduler update (thx Con)
cfq-ts21-fix | Fixes for CFQ (thx Jens and Con)
# end of patch-2.6.11-ck2
linux-2.6.10-cpad.diff | Support for more than 1 CPad (thx Jan)
lufs-0.9.7 | Linux Userland Filesystems (thx Florin)
fbsplash-0.9.2-2.6.11 | Fbsplash/Gensplash, a bootsplash replacement (thx Spock)
software_suspend-2.1.8.2 | Software Suspend 2 & Win4Lin, run Win9x & suspend your PC (thx Darckness 4 fix)
squashfs2.1-r2 | SquashFS, a compressed fs for Linux (thx Phillip)
daconfig-2.2.0 | Show release name in menuconfig (thx DaMouse)
config_hz | Set internal kernel frequency (thx Con)
varstacks-2.6.11 | Variable stacks (thx Tiger683)
chmp_with_menuconfig_option | Configurable HID Mouse Polling, already in BK (thx krautz)
add-timing-information-to-printk-messages | timing information at boottime (thx Andrew)
change_kernel_version | Call this release 2.6.11-nitro1 "Chicks dig it"


As you see I tried to thank all the original creators of the patches for their hard work. If something is incorrect, please let us now.

Download
Ebuild
patch file (bz2)
Notes
Broken-out patches

Install instructions for first time users
Code:

1. Download the ebuild
2. mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
3. cd /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
4. mv /path/to/nitro-sources-2.6.11-r1.ebuild .
5. edit /etc/make.conf and make sure that "/usr/local/portage" is added to PORTDIR_OVERLAY
6. ebuild nitro-sources-2.6.11-r1.ebuild digest
7. emerge nitro-sources
8. cd  /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-nitro1 and compile your kernel


Have a great day! :)


Are you trying to take my job away from me? :( I'm supposed to be the person doing stable patchsets.....
_________________
System: predatorbox
Distro: Arch Linux x86_64
Current projects: blackhole, convmedia and anything else I cook up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5229
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellz_hunter wrote:
erm...whats 'ricing' :?:

http://www.funroll-loops.org/

ricer cf. rice-burner

I think the computer equiv of a ricer is putting round cables in blue LEDs in your box but naming aside its a fair point.

Let's avoid diverting the thread know you now what the reference meant. :wink:


Compiled , OK , now let's see if it works ...
8)

Thanks for this latest offering Seppe.
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 708
Location: USA, Michigan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppe wrote:
Robin79 wrote:
Does sk98lin work?? So this patchet will not be NITRO fast anymore?

It's just the same as before, only very experimental patches like cflags-selection-patch and genetic-lib are left out. It will stay as responsive as always thanks to Con Kolivas' patches which are still in (and will always stay in). Especially the Staircase scheduler and Mapped Watermark patch (which eliminates swap usage as much as possible) optimizes everything for desktop usage.

I can't help you with sk98lin, I've never used that myself .. so I guess the best thing is to test it out yourself ;)


Seppe, genetic is less experimental then you think. It has its faults and truthfully isn't suited to desktop use at all, but its not what I'd call experimental. Also, I hope you know that staircase can proform quite well in a server setting ;).
_________________
System: predatorbox
Distro: Arch Linux x86_64
Current projects: blackhole, convmedia and anything else I cook up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5229
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work Seppe.

My scsi devices (real and ide-scsi) are once again seen by k3b.

This may be obvious once you know , but how do I select which IO scheduler I use?
I have all three selected in kernel config.

Thanks again. 8)
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seppe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 431
Location: Hove, Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illissius wrote:
And who's to decide what's 'ricey' and what's not, anyways? One could as well apply the same label to configurable mouse polling, reiser4, varstacks, and probably half of everything else.

Bad example, configurable mouse polling is already in the latest BK snapshot of 2.6.11 :) Which is weird btw, because chmp changes something that is an USB standard. But you got a point, reiser4 for example isn't 100% stable as well .. otherwise it would be in the main Linux tree.
_________________
nitro-sources, because between stable and experimental there exists only speed

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seppe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 431
Location: Hove, Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
This may be obvious once you know , but how do I select which IO scheduler I use?
I have all three selected in kernel config.

To choose IO schedulers at boot time, use the argument 'elevator=deadline' for example in your boot manager right after the part where you point to your kernel image. To choose it at runtime do something like
Code:

echo "deadline" > /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler

To get a list of supported IO schedulers, you can do this:
Code:

Helios proc # cat /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler
noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]

The one between [ and ] is the active one.

Greetz ;)
_________________
nitro-sources, because between stable and experimental there exists only speed

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 5229
Location: France, Old Europe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

but I get this :

Code:
bash-3.00# cat /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler
cat: /sys/block/hda/queue/scheduler: No such file or directory


:?:
_________________
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not worth paying for.

AthlonXP-M on A7N8X @ 2.6/2.4GHz (winter/summer)
2.6.32-hh1 : portage ~x86
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum