View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking - Past, Present, and Future Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
Code:

~ # cdparanoia -vB
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg1
                ioctl device: /dev/sr0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        SG interface version 3.5.33; OK.
                Drive is neither a CDROM nor a WORM device

Doesn't even work as root!

Even less here (did not test it before)
Code:
~ # cdparanoia -vB
(C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/sr0

and
Code:
~ # cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J�g Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.13-suspend2-r4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

now the funny thing:
Code:

~ # cdrdao scanbus
Cdrdao version 1.2.0 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
  SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
  Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'

1,0,0 : _NEC    , DVD+-RW ND-6650A, 102C

???
Maybe some wrong parameters in kernels .config
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@amaroc: Maybe this is cause cdrdao uses "libscg version 'schily-0.8'" - a OS independant SCSI transport library. Might be that this is more in sync with the kernel development while cdparanoia stats that is will not even work with kernel 2.5.x - as I said before it has not been improved for nearly 4 years not. I wonder how it was possible at all to such an software monoculture in an important area like CD ripping (an everyday job on average desktop computers I guess). There is realy no alternative to cdparanoia beside cdda2wav that is less powerful and not actively developed since 2002, too.

THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM NOW! So please contribute to my bug report or inform people that might help about the problem! I wonder how redhat, mandriva, SuSE and Co. simply didn't care about it? Imagine a future linux box without the avability to rip CDs! This is definitly the worsed incident with linux in my past two years.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: CD ripping armageddon Reply with quote

I have to be honest and say I can't quite remember the steps i took to get my DVD-RW working as I'm still trying to sort out user level burning issues. What I can tell you is that I did have to change libata.h as mentioned earlier in this thread (Page 4) and autoload the sg SCSI module.

Anyway, it seems that cdrecord uses libscg schily-0.8 so that might explain why it works. My laptop is configured to do debug work on SCSI and USB devices so it might be I've inadvertently built a package or library that's helping me out

Here's what i get when I run cdrecord -scanbus
Code:
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ATA     ' 'FUJITSU MHV2080A' '0000' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) '_NEC    ' 'DVD+-RW ND-6650A' '102C' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,7,0   107) *

and with cdparanoia -vB
Code:
... *snip* ...

CDROM model sensed sensed: _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A 102C

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)
        Couldn't disable kernel command translation layer

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
004: Unable to read table of contents header

Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?

Not sure why this is, but when checking the output of cdparanoia I realised that /dev/sr0 didn't point at /dev/scd0 (As all the other sr entries do. Not sure if this would have much of an impact, but I removed sr0, and symlinked it to scd0 and it still works fine. FYI the permissions on both sr0 and scd0 are brw-rw---- with user root and group disk (Don't know why its not cdrom like everything else). Of course this gets put back to sr0 after reboot anyway.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: CD ripping armageddon Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:

Code:
... *snip* ...

CDROM model sensed sensed: _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A 102C

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)
        Couldn't disable kernel command translation layer

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
004: Unable to read table of contents header

Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?

Not sure why this is, but when checking the output of cdparanoia I realised that /dev/sr0 didn't point at /dev/scd0 (As all the other sr entries do. Not sure if this would have much of an impact, but I removed sr0, and symlinked it to scd0 and it still works fine. FYI the permissions on both sr0 and scd0 are brw-rw---- with user root and group disk (Don't know why its not cdrom like everything else). Of course this gets put back to sr0 after reboot anyway.

This is very interessting - I first want to thank you for your help! I wonder why you have scd0, cause I don't have it. I could further investigate on my problem if you would be so kind to tell me:

1. Which kernel flavour/version you use exactly (I have vanilla 2.6.12.5 and 2.6.14.2)
2. What your kernel .config looks like. Can you upload it somewhere oder send me a PM? (I have IDE disabled, SATA + piix enabled)
3. What patches you use or if you altered files manualy, what you did exacty - you can just send me the altered files, if you wish - so I can do a diff analysis (I have patched libata.h to "define ENABLE_ATAPI").

As you might have noticed yesterday I was very frustrated about my ripping issue cause this function is a MUST for me. So I am very willing to get it working and post the results here.

To make things clear I should tell you what works/doesn't work here, cause it seems like different aproaches of "fixing" CDROM isses have different dis-/advantages:

WORKS: Mounting data CDs, Watching DVDs, Playing audio CDs with xine, burning/erasing CD-R(W) and DVD-R
FIXME: Ripping audio CDs with progs based on cdparanoia or cdda2wav (alternatives?)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The permissions and groups are driven by UDEV rules. I think it's in /etc/udev.d/50_udev-rules.conf. I remember I had to create specific rules otherwise /etc/sr0 belonged to group disk. I can't give you the rule file now as I am currently not under Linux and I have troubles with my Linux installation (module panics when sync'ing the disk :( ) sorry.

You could look somewhere else in this thread; I remember someone had troubles with permissions and could only burn as root. I told him twice it was UDEV-related but I don't remember where exactly. I know I had put the rules you need in my response to that person. You might find a fix there.

Good luck.

Last edited by VinzC on Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The Gentoo community has helped me out a lot with forum posts, least I can do is contribute.

Anyway, I'm running gentoo-sources 2.6.13-r3 and the only modification I've made is the libata.h mod you've already mentioned. Unlike you I do have IDE modules built as I also need to mount flash cards through a PCMCIA card.

I'll post my kernel config when i get home tonight and PM you the addy.

WORKS: So far I can mount and read both CDROM and DVD as a standard user. I can burn and rip as root.
FIXME: Being able to burn a DVD / CD as a standard user.
UNTRIED: Re-Write on DVD / CD
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
The permissions and groups are driven by UDEV rules. I think it's in /etc/udev.d/50_udev-rules.conf. I remember I had to create specifi rules otherwise /etc/sr0 belonged to group disk. I can't give you the rule file now as I am currently not under Linux and I have troubles with my Linux installation (module panics when sync'ing the disk :( ) sorry.

You could look somewhere else in this thread; I remember someone had troubles with permissions and could only burn as root. I told him twice it was UDEV-related but I don't remember where exactly. I know I had put the rules you need in my response to that person. You might find a fix there.

Good luck.

Thanks VinzC. I did play around with UDEV rules but I'm lacking the time to really get to grips with the rule system it uses. I book marked the site URL so I'll sit down this weekend and see if I can't get something sorted out. Also want to have a crack at automating the wifi module loading and LED on / off with the FTN + F2 keypress along with getting Suspend working. Could be a damn long weekend.

I'll post any useful results.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
VinzC wrote:
The permissions and groups are driven by UDEV rules. I think it's in /etc/udev.d/50_udev-rules.conf. I remember I had to create specifi rules otherwise /etc/sr0 belonged to group disk. I can't give you the rule file now as I am currently not under Linux and I have troubles with my Linux installation (module panics when sync'ing the disk :( ) sorry.

Good luck.

Thanks VinzC. I did play around with UDEV rules but I'm lacking the time to really get to grips with the rule system it uses. I book marked the site URL so I'll sit down this weekend and see if I can't get something sorted out. Also want to have a crack at automating the wifi module loading and LED on / off with the FTN + F2 keypress along with getting Suspend working. Could be a damn long weekend.

I'll post any useful results.

First for the udev problem:
Code:
~ # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
# This custom udev rules should hopefully fix my group permission problems for the DVD-CDRW Combo on Dell I6000
# For further information see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-355069-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-75.html

BUS=="scsi", KERNEL="sg[0-9]*", GROUP:="cdrom"

You must add your user to the cdrom group if you are not in there yet. All the problem you reported might be fixed with this little adjustment and I am looking forward to recieve your kernel config this afternoon. Best regards!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found my post back about UDEV and custom rules for CD-ROM/CD-RW :-) .
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:

What about you vinzC? Do you have the same CD ripping problems as I? If not, what did you do different?
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
No problem. The Gentoo community has helped me out a lot with forum posts, least I can do is contribute.

Anyway, I'm running gentoo-sources 2.6.13-r3 and the only modification I've made is the libata.h mod you've already mentioned. Unlike you I do have IDE modules built as I also need to mount flash cards through a PCMCIA card.

I'll post my kernel config when i get home tonight and PM you the addy.

WORKS: So far I can mount and read both CDROM and DVD as a standard user. I can burn and rip as root.
FIXME: Being able to burn a DVD / CD as a standard user.
UNTRIED: Re-Write on DVD / CD

Thanks, I recieved you kernel config but now I see that you have build so many stuff as modules - so please post me your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. Did you use any spezial boot line parameters? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Which udev version are you using?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
What about you vinzC? Do you have the same CD ripping problems as I? If not, what did you do different?

Well, I'm now mostly trying to resolve kernel panics and freezes/black screens. I must admit ripping CDs is secondary as I get other problems that simply prevent me from enjoying Gentoo on my laptop :( . I'd like to resolve that instability first. Hope you don't mind.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steppelrockt:

The only modules I have in the autoload kernel file are:
    speedset_centrino
    cpufreq_userspace
    sg
    button

I'm using udev-58 and no I don't pass any special boot parameters.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
Steppelrockt:

The only modules I have in the autoload kernel file are:
    speedset_centrino
    cpufreq_userspace
    sg
    button

I'm using udev-58 and no I don't pass any special boot parameters.

OK, I give up for now since our system configs are not comparable easily I think. Do you use genkernel/initrd/coldplug in any possible combination? Maybe you can write a short summary of your system config ones you have all CDROM stuff running. Maybe I will test the kernel 2.6.15-rc2 in the meantime or just don't bother with CDROM issues for a week or two ...
leimus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have trouble getting DMA enabled for a TEAC dvd rom in the I6000?
The OS detects it just fine and I mount it, but video playback is choppy with DVD's. I tried to enabling SCSI cdrom support and a bunch of options in ATA/ATAPI/MFR for the kernel, but I still can't enable DMA.

The dvd rom is at /dev/hdc, could this be a problem?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't find it in the 20 or so pages of replies for this thread.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leimus wrote:
Anyone have trouble getting DMA enabled for a TEAC dvd rom in the I6000?
The OS detects it just fine and I mount it, but video playback is choppy with DVD's. I tried to enabling SCSI cdrom support and a bunch of options in ATA/ATAPI/MFR for the kernel, but I still can't enable DMA.

The dvd rom is at /dev/hdc, could this be a problem?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't find it in the 20 or so pages of replies for this thread.

Yes, you should NOT use the ATA stuff but libata and piix instead (from the SCSI section). You can look here for a good summary. Remember: this doens't work 100% for me - I still use kernel 2.6.12.5. If it doesn't work for you, you will have to did in this thread again, cause is has all the different approaches for solving the issues.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: udev does not rule Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:

I've followed this and other posts on creating and modifying udev rules but nothing i do seems to change a thing. I always seem to find sg0 - 9 as root root and sr0 as root disk. I've tried modifying 50-udev.rules and creating a new 10-local.rules (As I don't have that as standard).

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Steppelrockt: My Gentoo install is fairly standard. Any alterations I've made are app based. Once I've got it all up and running I'm planning on putting it all in a doc for future reference, possibly sticking it on a website. I'll let you know when I have something.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: udev does not rule Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
VinzC wrote:

I've followed this and other posts on creating and modifying udev rules but nothing i do seems to change a thing. I always seem to find sg0 - 9 as root root and sr0 as root disk. I've tried modifying 50-udev.rules and creating a new 10-local.rules (As I don't have that as standard).

You might try to set variable RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "no" in /etc/conf.d/rc. You'll have the device tree systematically rebuilt at boot. Also note symlinks are owned by root:root and it's normal. Their mode is 777. I'll check a bit later for I'm not under Linux for the moment.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: What flavour udev do you want, Vanilla or Gentoo? Reply with quote

Quote:
You might try to set variable RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "no" in /etc/conf.d/rc. You'll have the device tree systematically rebuilt at boot. Also note symlinks are owned by root:root and it's normal. Their mode is 777. I'll check a bit later for I'm not under Linux for the moment.

I'm not sure I want to go about disabling Gentoo's implimentation of udev. In doing so I'm going to lose Gentoo specific modifications and tweaks.

I think I'll update the udev scripts first, and see if that resolves any problems. Be interested to know how many of you have disabled the Gentoo udev system in favour of vanilla udev.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What flavour udev do you want, Vanilla or Gentoo? Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
I'm not sure I want to go about disabling Gentoo's implimentation of udev.

You won't be. You'll merely be stopping it from persisting a messed-up /dev (for example) beyond the next reboot. Having udev recreate /dev at boot is perfectly normal.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What flavour udev do you want, Vanilla or Gentoo? Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
You won't be. You'll merely be stopping it from persisting a messed-up /dev (for example) beyond the next reboot. Having udev recreate /dev at boot is perfectly normal.

The Gentoo udev guide states:

Quote:
Gentoo will use udev but keep a static /dev so that you will never have any missing device nodes. The Gentoo init scripts won't run the devfsd daemon and will deactivate devfs when you boot up.

But if you are a die-hard and want to run a udev-only, no-tweaked system as is intended by the udev development (including the difficulties of missing device nodes because udev doesn't support them yet), by all means, read on :)

I realise things may have changed since this doc was written, but I know very little of udev so I'm lothe to start disabling things unless I really have to. Having read through this thread, I seem to have a pretty good setup (No crashing, freezing, etc). I'll try an update first, failing that its on to VinzC's suggestion.

Thanks for the advice Paul, its always good to know where others stand before taking a step which could potentially munch an install.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: udev70-r1 is a good version to have Reply with quote

Just updated to udev70-r1 and its fixed the cdrom group issue I was having. Haven't actually ripped or burnt anything yet (Its 2:30am and I cant be bothered testing it) but I can run cdparanoia -vB and get the same output I would with root. I'll try to burn something tomorrow, I'll let you know if I run into any other problems.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Next! Reply with quote

So the updating of udev did the job, I can burn CD's as a user without any problems using gnome baker. Nice to finally have that working. Next project is a bit of a change, I'd like to get my system to load the ipw2200 module and turn on the wi-fi LED when i press Fn + F2. I've had a look at the setkeycodes documentation but haven't really been able to make any progress with it. Any ideas?

I'm obviously going to have to script the module loading and LED switching, but that shouldn't be a problem.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Next! Reply with quote

m0rd0 wrote:
So the updating of udev did the job, I can burn CD's as a user without any problems using gnome baker. Nice to finally have that working. Next project is a bit of a change, I'd like to get my system to load the ipw2200 module and turn on the wi-fi LED when i press Fn + F2. I've had a look at the setkeycodes documentation but haven't really been able to make any progress with it. Any ideas?

I'm obviously going to have to script the module loading and LED switching, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can manage to just have module ipw2200 load/unload when you press Fn+F2 you've got it. Putting the LED on is this:
Code:
echo "1" >> "/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw2200/0000:03:03.0/led"

Put that code into a postup() function to light the LED whenever your Wireless card is associated with an access point and has got its IP address - this is how I did. The only way to put the LED off is to unload ipw2200. Be warned that the LED code might result in instability in some cases. Don't know which ones exactly but this is what the devs say about that.
m0rd0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Suggestions on a postcard to... Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can manage to just have module ipw2200 load/unload when you press Fn+F2 you've got it

Yeah, I've already had the LED working and turning off with the module unload. No instability that I've noticed. I'm just trying to resolved the keycode resulting in a script being run. What I want is a system that'll work whether I'm in X or just hacking away on the command line. Any pointers on where to start? I remember someone working on getting the CDROM draw to eject on the function button press, don't think it actually ended up happening.

I'll do some digging over my lunch break tomorrow and re-read some of the earlier posts on here, but if anyone's got any suggestions please let me know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 21 of 33

Jump to: