Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
DarwinPorts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavherzog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: DarwinPorts Reply with quote

Has anyone done a comparison between Portage and the ports system offered by the DarwinPorts Project??

Looks like they have quite the database of ports built up so far (well over 2000). Has anyone tried it?
sktrdie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarwinPorts if very good for osx..
but personally i love Fink.
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer DarwinPorts to Fink. Although Fink is able to compile and install ala portage, it lacks the ability to tweak your CFLAGS.

I set my CFLAGS in my .profile file. Fink ignores the CFLAGS environment variable. Evidently, it redefines it. I have found to way to override this behavior. DarwinPorts lets me set my flags and generate tighter code.

I have portage installed also, but I do not like it for this simple reason: It is too easy to clobber built-in system files. Collision detection is a hack. Portage-OSX should follow the lead of Fink and DarwinPorts, and place all its files in a sub-tree, like /portage or something like that. Don't get me wrong, I love portage, and would love to be able to take advantage of USE flags and other portage niceties (and on Linux, I am a portage fanatic, and run 5 different Gentoo boxes). But for my powerbook, DarwinPorts just works better.
cerb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that informative answer. it's just what i thought all along. darwinports is just great for my [i|power]books, too.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: