Sun Ultra10 Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Sun Ultra10 Questions Reply with quote

Oooooh sooo cool! I got a Sun Ultra10 the other day and I'm setting it up as my new Gentoo system at home.

but I have a couple of questions :?::

1) I upgraded OpenBoot to 3.31 (--taking a bow-- ). Uh, but now I have to sit at the machine to get it to boot to disk. Apparently I overwrote the defaults. is the comand as simple as this? Or am I missing something?
Code:
set-env bootdevice disk

2) I would like to use the SCSI card to connect to the tape drive and do some backups. I have a card with a SCSI connector AND an ethernet port on it. When I stuck it in the system, the motherboard ethernet never could get on the network. Is there something I can do to disable the ethernet portion of this card so I can use the SCSI port?

3) I would like to use another mouse/keyboard with this system. The darned back-slash and tilde are in the wrong places! Also, that three button mouse has a ball in it! Ancient stuff! Can I get it to recognize a USB keyboard/mouse as the default? I see some people have used the Belkin USB card.

4) My final question is really complicated. I did a stage2 install, wiped it out and did a stage1 install, wiped it out and now I'm about to do a stage3 install. For the life of me, I can't see what value doing a stage1 install has since I can't really do much in the way of optimizing the code anywhere. Can someone tell me, other than exercising my virtue of patience, what you get out of a stage1 install?

5) Finally, I'd prefer to use a 2.6 kernel on this puppy (hence the multiple installs). My preference is to use gentoo-sources or gentoo-dev-sources over the sparc specific kernel sources (which are 2.4). Is there anything special I'm missing using the gentoo-*-sources?

Whew! I'm tired of typing.

--Oldan
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Ultra10 Questions Reply with quote

Sheesh!
Lots of snooping, but no one with answers? Ah - I've got a few after a little sleuthing of my own.

oldan wrote:
1) I upgraded OpenBoot to 3.31 (--taking a bow-- ). Uh, but now I have to sit at the machine to get it to boot to disk. Apparently I overwrote the defaults. is the comand as simple as this? Or am I missing something?
Code:
set-env bootdevice disk

There is a really nice FAQ on SPARC-HOWTO. It has some answers and a pointer to an OpenBoot FAQ. And of course, there's SUN's online document. And it is just about that easy.
--Oldan
Risk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2) seems like a misconfiguration in your .config regarding the ethernet ports - try using modules for all your ethernet support in the .config file and this way you can unload the conflicting module that is keeping your mainboard network port from working - check dmesg for the modules associated with the hardware ports and unload module(s) as appropriate

3) you don't mention what type keyboard you are using now, but Sun manufactures several types of different keyboards including one that uses the abhorrent IBM PC-style layout - using a USB keyboard is hit-or-miss, the problem is getting the BIOS to recognize it at boot time

4) the value of doing a stage 1 install is that you have the ability to specify compilation options in /etc/make.conf and also USE flag options for your applications - if there is no value in this for you, then stage 3 would be the time-saving choice

5) for SPARC64 2.6 kernel, use gentoo-dev-sources sparc-sources is only up to 2.4.29 as of this writing and gentoo-sources is masked for all SPARC architectures

good luck
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risk wrote:
2) seems like a misconfiguration in your .config regarding the ethernet ports - try using modules for all your ethernet support in the .config file and this way you can unload the conflicting module that is keeping your mainboard network port from working - check dmesg for the modules associated with the hardware ports and unload module(s) as appropriate

Good idea!:idea:

I think I'll try that when I get a little further along. See my latest information in this saga.
THANKS!
--Oldan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: