How do you force an ebuild to use ICC?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: How do you force an ebuild to use ICC? Reply with quote

I searched the forums looking for the answer, found lots of ICC related topics, but none exactly answered my question. I can add "icc" to my "USE" variable, but that only makes it used in supported packages. How do I try to force a package to build with ICC? Like, say, mysql-4.0.7?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be prepared to have some troubles. I've tried to compile the entire system, but I had problems with the first package (don't remember exactly which one) because it linked to a .o created by gcc.
Heretic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
be prepared to have some troubles. I've tried to compile the entire system, but I had problems with the first package (don't remember exactly which one) because it linked to a .o created by gcc.

I'm not looking to do the whole system, just a few select packages. Is the ABI different between ICC7 and GCC 3.2? I thought that was supposedly a standardized thing.

Anyway, exactly how did you compile a package with ICC? I still haven't had that question answered.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICC 7 can generate code thats compatible with the cross-vendor ABI standard that gcc also uses. However it is only QA'd against glibc 2.2.4 and glibc 2.2.5 so some things might not build (but if they do they should run fine IME).

For packages that don't explicitly support ICC, what I usually do is just unpack it with ebuild, go to the work directory the tree is extracted into, and do something like "CC=icc CXX=icpc configure."
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC="icc" CXX="icpc" CFLAGS="" CXXFLAGS="" emerge package && "This package does not compile with ICC, we told you so!"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: