View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: AMD64 LiveCD-green (reiser4,wlan,a.o.) Reply with quote

i got some time to do an huge update. please look to this http://64.gnuplanet.de.

Last edited by ahorn on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:58 pm; edited 19 times in total
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a blog-like webpage for the cd. This is also usefull, because you can informate me about errors, bugs and wishes directly.
To go to the page, just klick on that following link http://livecd.todesmut.org !

Last edited by ahorn on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtopping
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't 2005.0 be out any day now?
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some mistake did by me in /etc/conf.d/apache2. It must be -D SSL PHP4 not -D SSL PHP.
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this livecd Ahorn. I'll test it out on my Athlon64 3200 machine at home.
Do you happen to know where we can get a 2.6.11 vanilla kernel with all the latest reiser4 patches applied? I've read through the forums in search of one but all I've found is:

1) A howto on creating an ebuilds for reiser4 enabled vanilla <=2.6.10 kernels http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-295168-highlight-reiser4+amd64.html
2) A 2.6.11 reiser4 enabled kernel that doesn't compile on amd64 (2.6.11-nitro0) http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-302767-highlight-nitro.html

Thanks!
Richard
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird (the dev of morph-sources) said, that we can expect a stable 2.6.11 reiser4 patch this week from the reiser people. Also, i hope, i can take morph-sources at the next livecd64 version, because it's safe and provide us more features (even for amd64).
Anyway, i'm using 2.6.11-nitro0 on the livecd this time and you have to copy asm-offset.c from asm-i386 to asm to let it compile cleanly on your pc. that's what i did.

edit for completness:
yardbird wrote:
Hi all,

I write just to inform you that we are still working to hunt down the initrd bug. The next morph will probably come out when the updated 2.6.11 reiser4 official patch is released. A piece of good news is that now I can test AMD64 builds, thanks to sourceforge's "compile-farm" service. So next morph-sources should be guaranteed at least to compile cleanly on AMD64.

Cheers!

Last edited by ahorn on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi postless thread,
i'm still on it and here is my todo list for my next version i'll upload. As you see, i finished a light xorg install (6.8.2, works great with pci-e) and made a autoconfiguration runlevel script for xorg.conf with working glx (glx works for nvidia, ati i can't test) for nvidia and ati (i don't know if there're other pci-e gpus), also for old pci graphic cards (like voodoo), you can use the standard vesa treiber (with opengl-update xorg-x11 inclusive) which is also autodetected at boot. so you only need to do a startx and fluxbox runs on your screen with possible 100Hz (depends on your Monitor, TFTs will use 60Hz). I need help by ati users, please post me your lsmod and your best ati-drivers for ~amd64, because i can't figure it out myself what's the best. damn, did you every did a opengl-update on a ro-fs, a lot are files are written :-(.
another good feature is lm_sensors, this is not to difficult to configure them, but it's better to use them immitadely after boot. hddtemp the same.
with alsa included, the boot cd detects the most onboard and offboard soundcards, probably you hear your favorite mp3s during the gentoo install. if someone wants mplayer, too, we can discuss it here or he/she sends me a PM.
Code:

done:
improved some init.d scripts
added gentoo handbook-amd64
apache should work now without configure (hint to phpsysinfo)
added lm_sensors & automate it
added hddtemp
added xinetd
added vsftpd
added X and xorg.conf automate (with full 3D acceleration, glxgears is running fast and you can switch with opengl-update)
added fluxbox and i made them a little bit nice
added xmms
added aterm
added nvidia-drivers
added some smaller packages (like zip)
changed tmpfs size from 128Mb to 40! (more RAM for X or gcc)

todo:
ati-drivers (don't know)
ndiswrapper and drivers (i never get a wlan under gentoo to work, so i really need help here)
gentoo handbook in all avaible language (need time for this ;)
firefox (i'm still searching for performance patches)

with that new stuff init, the size become 250Mb :( but i'll hope it's not to much for your 10mbit guys out there :)

but please look to this:
maybe i'm the only person who uses this cd, let me know it! so i'm not going to spam the forum again.
TBerrang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thank you for all the work you put in this project and for releasing it to the public! I'm currently downloding your CD at work (we have 1GB connections here :P) and I will test it later when I'm home again.
Because I'm currently very unhappy with the AMD64-2004.3 release (in terms of doing a stage1-install), I'm really looking forward to it.
I'll let you know how it works. :).

Btw, have you some bugzilla up/running to report bugs or make feature reqests?

Cheers,
Torsten.
-- Running Wild :: Masquerade
H3g3m0n
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work but unfortunatly its not booting for me :(
I tried the livecd64-ahorn0.iso.bz2 but get a kernel panic on boot

Code:

attempt to access beyond end of device
hda: rw=0, want=327024, limit12736
Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 81755.

<similar messages to above repeated 1/2 a dozen times>
<errors about missing files/devices>
Kernel Panic- Not syncing: attempt to kill init.

The RR4 live cd guy (http://lxnay.no-ip.org/) is also planning on a amd64 one according to his site(although it doesn't say if its a reiser4 one or just a livecd, although the version number is 2.40 and the last reiser cd was 2.3).
Ill try the preahorn one later as its possible my download was correpted or burned badly, otherwise ill use the x86 cd to install with the amd64 cflags, and fiddle a working kernel together from the patch.
TBerrang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It 's a_live! Muahahaaa! Ähm. Sorry. No, just wanted to say: your livecd works fine for me, ahorn! I downloaded
"livecd64-pre-ahorn0.iso.bz2" (the big one), burned and testet it with:

GA K8NS-Ultra 939 (nForce3 chipset), with Athlon64 3200+ (Newcastle) installed,
2x 512MB DDR400 Dual-Channel RAM (Infinion-on-3rd), MSI GForce 4600Ti installed and
160GB Samsung SATA disc (attatched to onbo SIL controller).

Startup with no errors. I could not test all the goodies, but when I catch a little free time this weekend, I'll put in
an old 80GB IDE harddisk and take a look at them. I'll send you gladly all errors. :).

Noticed errors:
* sk98lin module for my internal 1000MBit NIC does not work correctly (perhaps grabb the module at Syskonnect and include it with a future release,
to make all the Marvell-users out there happy).

Feature request:
* A small startup-script that lets you choose your keyboard-layout (like the gentoo-livecd). Just because it's annoying to type commands
on a german keyboard with english layout. :lol: .

Please keep up your good work! Cheers,
Torsten.
-- Running Wild :: Masquerade
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H3g3m0n wrote:
Nice work but unfortunatly its not booting for me :(
I tried the livecd64-ahorn0.iso.bz2 but get a kernel panic on boot

Code:

attempt to access beyond end of device
hda: rw=0, want=327024, limit12736
Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 81755.

<similar messages to above repeated 1/2 a dozen times>
<errors about missing files/devices>
Kernel Panic- Not syncing: attempt to kill init.

The RR4 live cd guy (http://lxnay.no-ip.org/) is also planning on a amd64 one according to his site(although it doesn't say if its a reiser4 one or just a livecd, although the version number is 2.40 and the last reiser cd was 2.3).
Ill try the preahorn one later as its possible my download was correpted or burned badly, otherwise ill use the x86 cd to install with the amd64 cflags, and fiddle a working kernel together from the patch.

Yeah, i heard about this problem, it's fixed in the new version (i hope i did the right fix) which i want to uplaod this weekend or maybe later. That lxnay is doin also a amd64 livecd is very nice, of course. maybe he finds my one interesting, too.
I'm focus on a minimal livecd with little bit X feature, not the big knoppix stuff, so the cd is mainly used for installing gentoo. it think lxnays livecds are more the knoppix way.
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBerrang wrote:
It 's a_live! Muahahaaa! Ähm. Sorry. No, just wanted to say: your livecd works fine for me, ahorn! I downloaded
"livecd64-pre-ahorn0.iso.bz2" (the big one), burned and testet it with:

GA K8NS-Ultra 939 (nForce3 chipset), with Athlon64 3200+ (Newcastle) installed,
2x 512MB DDR400 Dual-Channel RAM (Infinion-on-3rd), MSI GForce 4600Ti installed and
160GB Samsung SATA disc (attatched to onbo SIL controller).

Startup with no errors. I could not test all the goodies, but when I catch a little free time this weekend, I'll put in
an old 80GB IDE harddisk and take a look at them. I'll send you gladly all errors. :).

Noticed errors:
* sk98lin module for my internal 1000MBit NIC does not work correctly (perhaps grabb the module at Syskonnect and include it with a future release,
to make all the Marvell-users out there happy).

Feature request:
* A small startup-script that lets you choose your keyboard-layout (like the gentoo-livecd). Just because it's annoying to type commands
on a german keyboard with english layout. :lol: .

Please keep up your good work! Cheers,
Torsten.

Oh, nice to get feedback, thx for posting sk98lin module problem, i'll do my best to fix them (i think i got this also at my motherboard A8N-SLI, but i use only the the nvidia networkcard.)
about the keyboard layout: you can type loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.tar.gz for german keymap, as i wrote also on the livecd startup. a script makes them all more easier, you're right about this, but i didn't found the gentoo-livecd script and also had time to do it this time. but you put them on my todo list. i'm very happy to get fluxbox the way i wanted and there're still some things to do (like your loadkeys request) put i think i can do it at an evening till weekend.
finally, i got ati to work with an x600.

TBerrang wrote:
Btw, have you some bugzilla up/running to report bugs or make feature reqests?

No, i don't have something usefull bugzilla, only PM and this thread.
GTVincent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying your livecd, but my 15" lcd monitor couldn't display the video mode you're using. I can take the vga= option from the boot line, but it would be nice if there would be an option to just use a normal text screen.

Also, when I've taken out the vga= option, I just get a prompt, and I'm unable to type anything
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTVincent wrote:
I'm trying your livecd, but my 15" lcd monitor couldn't display the video mode you're using. I can take the vga= option from the boot line, but it would be nice if there would be an option to just use a normal text screen.

Also, when I've taken out the vga= option, I just get a prompt, and I'm unable to type anything

try vga=791 i'll hope that this work. if not, lower the number.
i'm going to add a non-framebuffer version to the bootloader in the next version.
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out your livecd Ahorn and it works great! :) My setup is nearly identical (same motherboard, CPU, and even RAM!) to TBerrang's except I have a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive. Thanks for all effort.
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcb1974 wrote:
I tried out your livecd Ahorn and it works great! :) My setup is nearly identical (same motherboard, CPU, and even RAM!) to TBerrang's except I have a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive. Thanks for all effort.
Good to hear. I can post my setup, too, if someone want to know if the CD works testet on what setups:
Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester), Asus A8N-SLI (nForce4), 2x512MB PC3500 GEIL CL2 3-6-6, GigaByte Gefoce 6600 GT, a slow Seagate IDE 200GB UDMA5 and 2 IDE CD/DVD/Writer drives.

Hope you enjoy to new version ahorn1, i've put many time in it to get X very well without configure it.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the newest livecd but I can't get beyond the language selection part since it happens before the usb keyboard gets enabled for the system. Keyboard works fine through grub as normal but once a kernel loads it doesn't go active again till after the kernel loads and the "Gentoo" part starts. It boots fine up until that part. ;)
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
I tried the newest livecd but I can't get beyond the language selection part since it happens before the usb keyboard gets enabled for the system. Keyboard works fine through grub as normal but once a kernel loads it doesn't go active again till after the kernel loads and the "Gentoo" part starts. It boots fine up until that part. ;)
damn, this is why usb-keyboard is a module :( i fix it till next release. sorry about that. Maybe you can use a usb/ps2 adapter to get this working.
talkingcrow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice livecd! I was wondering if in the next version you could add cryptsetup and gpg. I've been trying to install an ~amd64 system with lvm2 over dm-crypt with a gpg key, but it's difficult as no livecd exists with all of those features. Thanks!
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkingcrow wrote:
Nice livecd! I was wondering if in the next version you could add cryptsetup and gpg. I've been trying to install an ~amd64 system with lvm2 over dm-crypt with a gpg key, but it's difficult as no livecd exists with all of those features. Thanks!
cat talkingcrow >> /home/ahorn/todolist; :)

ok, it's in, damn big gnupg (2Mb) :(
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please notice, that the gcc-package on the livecd (that one in /mnt/livecd/portage) is without multilib and i guess it doesn't work with bootstrap. If you got network at the cd, you can download a multilib version from http://satanix.de/mirror/livecds/rescue-packages/gcc-3.4.3-r1.tbz2 ! Grub will not compile without multilib, too.
Gcc with multilib will be included in future releases.
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of just hosting the iso? Every image I've downloaded and extracted has been corrupt. It boots up to the init version and stops with unknown cd format and drops me to a bash shell. Nothing is available from there, can't mount anything or see anything on system. Also, I checked the md5 sums and they never match for me. Maybe it's just me? I have another cdrw I can put in the pc if needed. Current cdrom is a Aopen dvd/cdrw combo drive.

Edit: Turns out it's definitely the drive. Booted up fine on my other box, with the exception of lmsensors setting off an alarm on the motherboard. Did it 3 times in a row as a test. Every time, after loading lmsensors, it starts buzzing, like it's a temp alarm.
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_adams wrote:
Any chance of just hosting the iso? Every image I've downloaded and extracted has been corrupt. It boots up to the init version and stops with unknown cd format and drops me to a bash shell. Nothing is available from there, can't mount anything or see anything on system. Also, I checked the md5 sums and they never match for me. Maybe it's just me? I have another cdrw I can put in the pc if needed. Current cdrom is a Aopen dvd/cdrw combo drive.
All uploaded files are md5checked, but funny thing with that bash shell. But i can report a funny error, too: The 1st livecds i did were burned with k3b which was compiled -O2 option. The cd hangs with kernel panic, because the rootfs was not found. I searched and fixed various things, but days later, i recompiled k3b with -O3, and then it booted without problems.

d_adams wrote:

Edit: Turns out it's definitely the drive. Booted up fine on my other box, with the exception of lmsensors setting off an alarm on the motherboard. Did it 3 times in a row as a test. Every time, after loading lmsensors, it starts buzzing, like it's a temp alarm.

Is it only lm_sensor related (then we must find out how to deactivate this temp alarm) and if you stop lm_sensors and rmmod the i2c modules, is the alarm still there? maybe a 'sensors' output can help, so post it here. And of course, what happen if you deactivate the sensors in the bios? If we don't get the bug fixed, i'll do a kernel parameter for lm_sensors (but i thought that no mobo have problems with lm_sensors at the k8-arch).
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, dropped other cdrom into system, it didn't work. Just remembered that both cd's were on a Promise ata100 raid card. Swapped some cables around, and I'm in it right now. Very nice, very nice indeed. The only thing I'd like to see from here is an smp enabled kernel. Other than that, beautiful. It's strange that the cd sees the controller card once it's booted, but won't boot if cd's are on that card. I can't think of any other failures like this, but it wasn't difficult to overcome. Just a quirk I guess.
Apparently, the md5 didn't matter a whole lot, it was all hardware related for me anyways.
Lm_sensors did cause the fans to kick on at full speed. Never messed with the sensors before, so tried this.

Code:
/etc/init.d/lm_sensors stop

Said it stopped and removed the module, but fan still running full out. Not a biggie, it's just noisy. Restarted it and checked sensors and it shows a bit of info about power and fan speeds. Also says beep is disabled on this box. The full speed setting in the bios is 85 C and current temp is only at 32 C so not sure why fans are on full.

Code:
Hardware Information
Processors   1
Model   AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 240
Chip MHz   1403.23
Cache Size   1024 KB
System Bogomips   2752.51
PCI Devices   Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20268 (Ultra100 TX2)
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Lucifeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that lm_sensors should be automaticly started on boot. It should rather be optional
AMD64 live-cd w/Reiser4-support http://livecd.todesmut.org/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: