Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.11-love1 (fixes from un-of. updates - in 2.6.11-love2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@feld I`m finished upd2 now , I`m really tired now , will look to the unpluging usb-stuff oops later.
for x86_64 : as I said - I can`t support x86_64 without x86_64 machine. I did a really brutal damm hack by adding to menuconfig option to disable sheduling while atomic printk . Yeah I know it`s no solution but I worked on ohter things and this is a only "speedy" that I can do "from the hand" now.

in this updates are also genetic nicksched improvements in BIG thanks to Marco Hennings.
now adaptability is better and faster.

for the request , is old toshiba_acpi.c version now, i modyfied hostap to able to compile as static.
and revert swap-layout-improvements to quick able swsup2 to combile again.

Code:

--2.6.11-love1-unofficial-update2--
* genetic nicksched improvements
//improvement adaptability - big THANKS to Marco Hennings
* usbhid-readd-kconfig.patch
// gives :
// <M> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support   
//    (33)  USB HID Mouse Interrupt Polling Interval
// in USB support config
* hostap-linux-0.3.7-2.6.2.patch
//fixed compilation as static and as module
//remember to chose only card You have
//for example will be conflict beetwen PLX9052 and Prism2.5 PCI
//must be compiled only one of them.
* sk98lin_v7.09_2.6.11_patch
* xfs Kconfi fix - thanks Hirion
--add-ons--[mm]--------------------
bk-usb.patch
copy_pte_range-latency-fix.patch
irqpoll.patch
properly-share-process-and-session-keyrings-with-clone_thread.patch
put-newly-registered-shrinkers-at-the-tail-of-the-list.patch
run-softirqs-on-proper-processor-on-offline.patch
serialize-access-to-ide-devices.patch
setup_per_zone_lowmem_reserve-oops-fix.patch
simpler-topdown-mmap-layout-allocator.patch
smpbootc-cleanups.patch
sys_setpriority-euid-semantics-fix.patch
tty-output-lossage-fix.patch
vm-pageout-throttling.patch

this info : http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love1/upd2/2.6.11-love1-upd1.txt
patch : http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love1/upd2/2.6.11-love1-upd2.bz2
new ebuild for 2.6.11-love1+upd2 : http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love1/upd2/love-sources-2.6.11-r1.ebuild

cheers :)
going to watch AC Milan - Manchester United match.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
kontol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
at now I`m working of update 02 with fixes of swsup2 (done) hostap ( actual ) and some others.

@Kontol : the driver from bk-net-dev ( 2.6.11-rc4/5-love1 for ex ) works for You. ?
I fixed this from love1 to compilation as static now, ( compilation as module was been without problems)

Hi fallow,

Sorry for delayed answer.. I just waiting compiling my kernel...yes I deleted the corrrupted file one, and it worked for kernel compiling, but I still having "same error problem" on hostap (upd1). I will try upd2 very soon..after I am finished doing emerge update my gentoo.
NiLuJe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 2 running fine here :) (Gen Nicksched + Deadline), switched vm mapped from 95 to 66, i was getting a lot of process killed by oom-killer (especially wine, java & firefox) .. :)
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiLuJe wrote:
Update 2 running fine here :) (Gen Nicksched + Deadline), switched vm mapped from 95 to 66, i was getting a lot of process killed by oom-killer (especially wine, java & firefox) .. :)

nice:):) ...so 66 must be default in next love release :) thanks for reporting it.

@kontol , no problem , w8ing ;)

cheers
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
NiLuJe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was okay with the previous release (vm @ 95), could it come from the new mapped watermark being more 'aggressive' ?
aesthesia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enable Reiser4 support in this kernel. I looked through the menuconfig, and found nothing. I opened the config file in emacs and couldnt find a REISER4 string....I have no doubt I am just missing something very elementary, but could someone be so kind as to point me in that direction?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sched.c change for gennick in update2 worked great
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aesthesia wrote:
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enable Reiser4 support in this kernel. I looked through the menuconfig, and found nothing. I opened the config file in emacs and couldnt find a REISER4 string....I have no doubt I am just missing something very elementary, but could someone be so kind as to point me in that direction?

... It was right above Reiserfs for me.
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
Fallow -- I'm still getting system hardlocks with NO access to my box (ssh, anything!) when I unplug my usbkey drive after saving something on it. This is even with your latest patch. This never happened in 2.6.11, and honestly, its quite annoying :cry:

Anyone else have this ?

-Feld

Yup, got the same thing. When I unplugged my camera, stuff just died :( Looks like I'm gonna revert to nitro-2.6.10 for now until this is resolved. Definitely switching to love as soon as it is though :P
aesthesia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I don't really know what I did wrong, but the option above reiserfs for me is "JDB (ext3) debuggin support". If it would be too much trouble to figure out, I can just stick with my nitro kernel. I was just wondering about the deadline scheduler since im totally on reiser4 now. I would post a screen of makeconfig, but I don't have hosting. If there's any other information you would find helpful, I can do my best to provide it.
sofcik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aesthesia wrote:
Erm, I don't really know what I did wrong, but the option above reiserfs for me is "JDB (ext3) debuggin support". If it would be too much trouble to figure out, I can just stick with my nitro kernel. I was just wondering about the deadline scheduler since im totally on reiser4 now. I would post a screen of makeconfig, but I don't have hosting. If there's any other information you would find helpful, I can do my best to provide it.

Just find Kernel hacking/use 4kb stacks, turn it off and reiser4 WILL apear at file systems in the right place :)

ThxToAllOfYouForHelpingOnTheGentooWay

GENTOO FOREVER !
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aesthesia wrote:

You must DESELECT option 4kb stack - So You have to use 8KB for Reiser4 in "Kernel hacking"
Code:

[ ] CFLAGS hacking (NEW)     
           [ ] Use 4Kb for kernel stacks instead of 8Kb

Reiser4 will be availabe if 4kb stack will be deselected.

NiLuJe wrote:
It was okay with the previous release (vm @ 95), could it come from the new mapped watermark being more 'aggressive' ?

IMHO Yes. We must think about it :)

DrWoland wrote:

Yup, got the same thing. When I unplugged my camera, stuff just died :( Looks like I'm gonna revert to nitro-2.6.10 for now until this is resolved. Definitely switching to love as soon as it is though :P

Yeah I know (no idea at now) - Have You the same thing with ohter 2.6.11-patchset ?
I don`t have any USB stuff ( when I deplugging my Speedtouch is ok ) - so I can`t test it on my box.

Feel free :)
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
NiLuJe wrote:

Have you considered just asking the person who wrote the code if changing this value was a good idea in the first place and what they recommend?
aesthesia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, wow, that definitely worked. I hadn't thought of that, as I always use 8k stacks. I had copied my nitro config over and skimmed through most of it. next time i will give it a more thorough examination. thanks for the help.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
fallow wrote:
NiLuJe wrote:

Have you considered just asking the person who wrote the code if changing this value was a good idea in the first place and what they recommend?

I`m reading ckml.
and I personally like 95 and everyone CAN change it for other value.

default value in menuconfig is a thing to consider ;)

cheers
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me, if this ati-drivers ebuild is still necessary, or if the latest official ~86 ebuild also works?
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
I`m reading ckml. and I personally like 95 and everyone CAN change it for other value. default value in menuconfig is a thing to consider ;)

So is vm @ 95 still working for you, or is the general advice now to switch down to 66 with upd02?

(I can't test it myself right now, I probably will not be able to upgrade to upd02 till the evening)
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fallow - the latest update fixed my issue. All's working fine - a very nice release!

Give yourself a star :-D
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:

DrWoland wrote:

I ran 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1 for a little while, and no such thing happened, at least not that I can recall. I didn't get to try it with 2.6.11-nitro0 since they fubared Nvidia and I immediately deleted that off my /boot partition to make room for different kernels (mine isn't very big :oops: )
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86_64 : scheduling while atomic fix1

I received this fix via email from NickP - it should fix this error
http://vivid.dat.pl/fallow/pub/love-sources/2.6.11-love1/x86_64_atomic_fix1.diff
Code:

diff -Naur linux-2.6.11-love1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c atomic_fix1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c
--- linux-2.6.11-love1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c2005-03-08 22:24:30.000000000 +0100
+++ atomic_fix1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c2005-03-09 12:53:02.000000000 +0100
@@ -158,7 +158,9 @@
 if (!idle)
 idle = default_idle;
 idle();
+preempt_enable_no_resched();
 schedule();
+preempt_disable();
 }
 }

please try :)

DrWoland wrote:

I ran 2.6.11-rc4-nitro1 for a little while, and no such thing happened, at least not that I can recall. I didn't get to try it with 2.6.11-nitro0 since they fubared Nvidia and I immediately deleted that off my /boot partition to make room for different kernels (mine isn't very big :oops: )

ohh thanks for reporting :) I`ll try to fix it in the future :)

Master One wrote:

So is vm @ 95 still working for you, or is the general advice now to switch down to 66 with upd02?
(I can't test it myself right now, I probably will not be able to upgrade to upd02 till the evening)

I think we should try 66 :)
Archangel1 wrote:
Thanks fallow - the latest update fixed my issue. All's working fine - a very nice release!
Give yourself a star :-D

nice to hear that :P :) thx

cheers.
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the default for mouse polling interval is 33, right? For some reason, mine got set to nothing in .config and caused a make error, so I went in and set it to 33, compiled fine. 33 is right, right? Or is my mouse going to die?

Edit: NM, found the setting and read about it, set it to 2 since I have a Logitech MX 700.

Just changed some options in the USB section, gonna see if the unplug still crashes.

Edit: Enabled bandwidth allocation enforcement and disabled full speed iso transactions under EHCI and still locked up. Could it be something completely separate, like Genetic? How would I check the last output before the crash? Sorry, I'm still mildly noobish.

Last edited by DrWoland on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWoland wrote:
Hey, the default for mouse polling interval is 33, right? For some reason, mine got set to nothing in .config and caused a make error, so I went in and set it to 33, compiled fine. 33 is right, right? Or is my mouse going to die?

Edit: NM, found the setting and read about it, set it to 2 since I have a Logitech MX 700.

Just changed some options in the USB section, gonna see if the unplug still crashes.

No , the dadault in none, I just typed 33 for example ;)
I`m not using this - I have ps2 mouse

cheers :)
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallow, look up for more info on my experimentation with the USB problem. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try. It won't be till later, but make a list and I'll go through and try all of it.

I'm on an ASUS A7N8X with an Athlon XP using the nForce2 USB controllers.
Harry_Hakbijl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:

please try :)

Am trying right now. I discovered half an hour ago that the preemptible part caused the errors. You guys are fast !8O

I'll keep posted...

[Edit]

I compiled the kernel with the atomic-fix-patch. Everything seems to work so far!
Great work :!:
dhaemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:

Code:

diff -Naur linux-2.6.11-love1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c atomic_fix1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c
--- linux-2.6.11-love1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c2005-03-08 22:24:30.000000000 +0100
+++ atomic_fix1/arch/x86_64/kernel/process.c2005-03-09 12:53:02.000000000 +0100
@@ -158,7 +158,9 @@
 if (!idle)
 idle = default_idle;
 idle();
+preempt_enable_no_resched();
 schedule();
+preempt_disable();
 }
 }

HO YES! :D :D
Thanks you! I love love!
The patch works...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: