2005.0 and 32-bit compiles / libraries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: 2005.0 and 32-bit compiles / libraries Reply with quote

I just recently updated my system to the 2005.0 protocol, following the instructions on the doc site.

Near the end of that guide, it says: "Now emerge glibc, and unmerge the emul-* ones . . ."

I have heard conflicting info on this. Can one really unmerge all emul-linux packages when using the 2005.0 profile? I know that the glibc ebuild is multilib aware, but what about the rest, like -base -gtk, etc?

This especially concerns me, because part of the process of upgrading to 2005.0 involves the elimination of the /lib32 and /usr/lib32 symlinks, and replacing them with actual directories. Thus the libraries in the emul-linux packages will no longer be visible to most 32-bit software because the emul-linux directories are not in the LDPATH.

What's the story on this? The upgrade guide seems to have a gaping hole in it.
ShadowHawkBV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hedged my bets and just deleted the glibc emulation library. But then I may have misread the doc.. I thought that's all that had to be removed.

Lost Linux Neophyte
Intel i7-1065G7
Intel i7-8565U
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955
Pure 64bit frustration :-)
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, two packages from the 2005.0 emul-linux-* pack are "officially" multilib aware;

emul-linux-x86-glibc
emul-linux-x86-nvidia (have to use ~amd64 for this one though)

Other emul's are still needed for there are quite few packages which needs to be patched to be multilib aware.

You can unmerge whole emul-linux-* tree though, but I doubt that this will do any good to your 32-bit stuff at all 8) 64-bit stuff
is not affected, which is logical :wink:

Cheers

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still isn't answering the question. The instructions, if followed, leave you with a system without any emul-linux packages in a usable condition, because the instructions result in a complete clearing out of the /lib32 and /usr/lib32 directories, and replacing only the glibc files. In other words, once you are done with the instructions, even if you have emul-linux-x86-gtk installed, no 32-bit gtk apps will run, for the 32-bit libraries under /emul/linux are not visible to the 32-bit apps.

Don't believe me? Try to run firefox-bin. It will bork.

Clearly there is something missing here.

It would appear to me that some action must be taken beyond emerging glibc.

Would, for instance:
linux32 emerge gtk

Take care of this?
ShadowHawkBV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're misunderstanding the intent of that comment. (Actually I think it's very badly phrased)

The line says
Quote:
Now just build glibc, unmerge the emul-* ones and update the base system.

Which does appear to suggest unmerging all the emul libs. But the code says something more precise:
Code:
Code Listing 9

# emerge -v --oneshot '>=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20041102'
# emerge unmerge emul-linux-x86-glibc
# emerge -upv system
# emerge -uv system

See the code only unmerges the glibc emul library that you've replaced with the real glibc.

Hope this clears it up, and now does anyone know how to file a bugreport on a document??

Lost Linux Neophyte
Intel i7-1065G7
Intel i7-8565U
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955
Pure 64bit frustration :-)
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teilo wrote:
This still isn't answering the question. The instructions, if followed, leave you with a system without any emul-linux packages in a usable condition, because the instructions result in a complete clearing out of the /lib32 and /usr/lib32 directories, and replacing only the glibc files. In other words, once you are done with the instructions, even if you have emul-linux-x86-gtk installed, no 32-bit gtk apps will run, for the 32-bit libraries under /emul/linux are not visible to the 32-bit apps.

First, as ShadowHawkBV pointed out, the document is a bit misleading, you only should unmerge emul-linux-x86-glibc (and potentially emul-linux-x86-nvidia if you have this card and use ~amd64 for nvidia-kernel package).

Secondly, you are wrong about the assumption that emul-linux-* packages don't work anymore (there was an issue with emul-linux-x86-soundlibs though). They *should* work as before because "the meat" of the pack is also in the /etc/env.d/ directory updating your environment with proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. That said, I don't use firefox-bin myself, so you could be easily right about that one. Please file a bug-report if this is the case :wink:

Cheers

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is simply not true. There are many emul-linux packages which assume that their component libraries will be found at /lib32 or /usr/lib32.

There is no file in env.d which adds /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib to LDPATH. Check it for yourself. This is not a firefox problem. ALL GTK apps all will break. Probably many others also.

Open /etc/ld.so.conf for yourself and look what paths are there. No /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib. No /emul/linux/x86/lib either. Futhermore, /etc/pango/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules is hardcoded to /usr/lib32/pango. But the files aren't there, of course, because /usr/lib32 is no longer a symlink to /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib.

Get my drift here?
VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man i'm confused. I did the 2005.0 upgrade by following the instructions, and although the /lib32 and /usr/lib32 are now real directories, I also have the /emul/linux/* stuff too. As of yet, I haven't had any problems with any applications, including binary packages like ut2004.

So am I supposed to delete some directories? I was also wondering about those lines I added to package.keywords and package.umask, namely:

Code:
=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-glibc-2.3.4.20041102 ~amd64

>=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6

respectively. I don't see anything in that document that says like "Congrats! You have successfully upgraded to the new profile. You may now remove [those lines]. You may also want to [any other cleanup]. From now on you can expect [whatever the upgrade just did, like newly compiled apps will use whatever.]"

In fact, a paragraph would be nice at the top that describes what the new 2005.0 profile looks like and does compared to the previous one, as well as why you would or wouldn't want to upgrade.

W
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teilo wrote:
Get my drift here?

Not really :roll: ...

Code:
grep emul/linux/x86 /etc/env.d/*

if that reveals no LDPATH=/emul/linux/x86* on your system, you have unmerged emul-linux-x86-baselibs and/or emul-linux-x86-xlibs.

Cheers

Last edited by Birtz on Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VValdo wrote:
Man i'm confused. I did the 2005.0 upgrade by following the instructions, and although the /lib32 and /usr/lib32 are now real directories, I also have the /emul/linux/* stuff too. As of yet, I haven't had any problems with any applications, including binary packages like ut2004.

That is an *expected* behaviour, apart from unmerging emul-linux-x86-glibc ( and alternativelly emul-linux-x86-nvidia ), other emul-linux-x86-* packages should stay in-place for now. Nice to hear you have all of your 32-bit stuff working.

VValdo wrote:

So am I supposed to delete some directories? I was also wondering about those lines I added to package.keywords and package.umask, namely:

Code:
=app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-glibc-2.3.4.20041102 ~amd64

>=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6

Please leave them ( package.keywords & package.umask ) as they are, since 2005.0 is still in testing phase, those are hardmasking needed packages.

VValdo wrote:

respectively. I don't see anything in that document that says like "Congrats! You have successfully upgraded to the new profile. You may now remove [those lines]. You may also want to [any other cleanup]. From now on you can expect [whatever the upgrade just did, like newly compiled apps will use whatever.]"

In fact, a paragraph would be nice at the top that describes what the new 2005.0 profile looks like and does compared to the previous one, as well as why you would or wouldn't want to upgrade.

Granted, documentation is in a need for an improvement ( and is being misleading in a *crucial* place ). I think that all of this would be settled in a weeks to come.

Cheers

VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy. Will leave those lines in place. Let me know when I can take 'em out. For now, all is well :)

W
unlocked
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unmerged the emul-linux-x86-glibc
and
ln -s /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango /usr/lib32/pango

firefox-bin should work after that.
Kuhrscher
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A symlink to /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/gtk-2.0 is needed by many programs (e.g. RealPlayer10) too... Is there already a bugreport?
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, MANY symlinks are needed, and not just for directories either, but for many libraries as well. Symlinks are not the way to go.

The best solution, and the one which I implemented, is to create a file in /etc/env.d, say named 05emullinux, with the following line:

Code:
LDPATH="/emul/linux/x86/lib:/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib"

This will include the /emul/linux/x86 directories in your LDPATH, and thus remove any need for symlinking into /lib32 or /usr/lib32.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a emul file in /etc/conf.d named 75emul-linux-x86-base.
Code:
LDPATH=/emul/linux/x86/lib:/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib

teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Now, that is strange. I do not have that file. I do, however, have emul-linux-x86-base installed:

Code:
eix x86-baselibs

* app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
     Available versions:  1.0 1.1-r3 1.2.2-r1 1.2.2-r2
     Installed:           1.2.2-r1
     Homepage:           
     Description:         Base libraries for emulation of 32bit x86 on amd64

Does emul-linux-x86-baselibs, perhaps, have to be reinstalled after upgrading to profile 2005.0? If so, then that should certainly be added to the upgrade instructions.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teilo wrote:
Code:

Now, that is strange. I do not have that file. I do, however, have emul-linux-x86-base installed:

Oops that should have been /etc/env.d ofcourse :oops:

telio wrote:
Code:
eix x86-baselibs

* app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
     Available versions:  1.0 1.1-r3 1.2.2-r1 1.2.2-r2
     Installed:           1.2.2-r1
     Homepage:           
     Description:         Base libraries for emulation of 32bit x86 on amd64

Does emul-linux-x86-baselibs, perhaps, have to be reinstalled after upgrading to profile 2005.0? If so, then that should certainly be added to the upgrade instructions.
If any package needs to be reinstalled i think it would be baselayout or baselibs, my version of baselayout is 1.11.10-r2.

I went back to 2004.3 as 2005.0 gave me to much problems with my 32bit apps.

Last edited by infirit on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, baselayout is the one. I just saw the file fly by when installing app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs again. my version
Code:
*  app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
      Latest version available: 1.2.2-r2
      Latest version installed: 1.2.2-r2
      Size of downloaded files: 3,640 kB
      Homepage:
      Description: Base libraries for emulation of 32bit x86 on amd64
      License:     GPL-2

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: