View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is it possible to have Firefox open typed URLs in a new tab when hitting Control and Return? In mozilla, I could set the option in preferences to do this, so that I wouldn't necessarily need to open a new tab first.

I also preferred being able to do a google search directly through the URL address bar...

Thanks

[edit]
Got the google bar thing sorted heh.
c0mplex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Wow Wow!

These tricks helped my a lot. Thanks!
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakerfall wrote:
Hmmm, is it possible to have Firefox open typed URLs in a new tab when hitting Control and Return? In mozilla, I could set the option in preferences to do this, so that I wouldn't necessarily need to open a new tab first.

FF uses alt+enter to do that. God knows why they changed it from the Moz behaviour...
This bug is about it. You might be able to get the gentoo devs to include it :)
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:
breakerfall wrote:

FF uses alt+enter to do that. God knows why they changed it from the Moz behaviour...
This bug is about it. You might be able to get the gentoo devs to include it :)

Thanks for the headsup. I read that bugzilla thread and I have to agree with the couple of people advocating for Control+Enter. It simply makes more sense across the board. Either way, I'm sure I'll get used to Alt+enter without any problems.

---

Whilst I'm actually here, might aswell ask another question. Following the really useful tip on the first page to allow links in emails from thunderbird to open in firefox and mailto links in firefox to open in thunderbird... I was wondering if it's possible at all to get links from emails to open in a new tab? Would the entry to user.js be slightly different? Would it be a code thing? Is it possible at all?

Cheers. :)
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakerfall wrote:

Whilst I'm actually here, might aswell ask another question. Following the really useful tip on the first page to allow links in emails from thunderbird to open in firefox and mailto links in firefox to open in thunderbird... I was wondering if it's possible at all to get links from emails to open in a new tab? Would the entry to user.js be slightly different? Would it be a code thing? Is it possible at all?

If it's what I think you're asking, then yes you can.
Under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Tabbed Browsing, change the
Code:
Open links from other applications in
option to A new tab in the most recent window
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:
breakerfall wrote:

If it's what I think you're asking, then yes you can.
Under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Tabbed Browsing, change the
Code:
Open links from other applications in
option to A new tab in the most recent window

Yeah, it's kind of restricting though. With the mozilla suite, I was able to right click (or even middle click) to open a link in a tab if I wanted to. I don't want every link to be opened in a new tab, just the ones I want. Now it just sounds like I'm being pissy about it. :lol:
Beekster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like adblock etc may have made the following redundant...

These host entry additions will block access to all known add servers, trackers etc.

More info here.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're always getting a Profile Manager pop-up when you try to open a URL from an external app when FF is already running, it's because of mozilla-launcher. There are two ways around this. First, you can change the app settings to point directly to the FF executable instead of /usr/bin/firefox (which is just a symlink to mozilla-launcher). For example, if you use the mozilla-firefox-bin ebuild, point your app to /opt/firefox/firefox. The second way is to just symlink /usr/bin/firefox to the actual executable.

If you find yourself unable to install additional plugins for the search bar, it's probably a permissions problem. Make sure your /pathto/firefox/searchplugins folder is globally writable. This drives a lot of people nuts because Firefox just fails silently with no indication of why it's not working.

Speaking of the search bar, you can find every plugin imaginable at http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ Be sure to grab the Gentoo Forums, Bugzilla, and Packages engines. Finally, combine this with Cusser's ContextSearch extension. Now you can highlight any word or phrase on the web and throw it into any search engine out there with a simple right-click.

One tip for Thunderbird. By default it abbreviates the names of newsgroups. It can be a PITA to tell the difference between g.c.g.devel, g.l.g.devel, g.l.g.p.devel, and g.l.k.devel sometimes. to have TB show full names of newsgroups, put the following in a file named ~/.thunderbird/<profiledir>/user.js

Code:
user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);

hpestilence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These setting are what i use to make it easier for me to browse the web.

Edit: search for these in about:config

Code:
general.autoScroll true

middlemouse.contentLoadURL false

What the general.autoScroll option does is enable to middle click a huge page and then move your mouse away in the direction u want to go to scroll the page.

Disabling middlemouse.contentLoadURL makes it so that middle clicking on an open tab closes it instead of loading an URL.
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
If you're always getting a Profile Manager pop-up when you try to open a URL from an external app when FF is already running, it's because of mozilla-launcher. There are two ways around this. First, you can change the app settings to point directly to the FF executable instead of /usr/bin/firefox (which is just a symlink to mozilla-launcher). For example, if you use the mozilla-firefox-bin ebuild, point your app to /opt/firefox/firefox. The second way is to just symlink /usr/bin/firefox to the actual executable.

MOZILLA_NEWTYPE gets around this.
_GeG_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, this thread!

If you visit often forums where you do not want to register for a quick view, this extension is great: bugmenot -> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=566

and here is a good source for extensions:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/
hayesty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpestilence wrote:
These setting are what i use to make it easier for me to browse the web.

Edit: search for these in about:config

Code:
general.autoScroll true

middlemouse.contentLoadURL false

What the general.autoScroll option does is enable to middle click a huge page and then move your mouse away in the direction u want to go to scroll the page.

Disabling middlemouse.contentLoadURL makes it so that middle clicking on an open tab closes it instead of loading an URL.

THANK YOU!

I'm brand new to Linux and Gentoo, and your tip addresses my two remaining issues with FF. 8)
cgmd
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... since firefox is being hacked, I have a very basic and fundamental noob question...

How can I get a url from the firefox address bar to go as a shortcut to my KDE desktop? Drag and drop doesn't work for me as it did on my windows desktop...

There's got to be something I'm overlooking!

Thanks...
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgmd wrote:
OK... since firefox is being hacked, I have a very basic and fundamental noob question...

How can I get a url from the firefox address bar to go as a shortcut to my KDE desktop? Drag and drop doesn't work for me as it did on my windows desktop...

There's got to be something I'm overlooking!

Thanks...

draging and droping : i dont think i will work but u can make a script shelle and protocol handler to catche URLs
cgmd
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux_girl wrote:
Quote:
make a script shelle and protocol handler to catche URLs

Thank you for the information.

Could you please post an example of such a shell script and protocol handler?
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for exempl if u want to catch url like ed2k:// ad a prot hadler in => about:conf like described above

make a shell script like $HOME/bin/ed2k.dump:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
echo $1 >>/tmp/URLS.txt

then ~/bin/ed2k.dump

just tail -f /tmp/URLS.txt and you should see every URL
gtr-xu1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav FF/TB feature is that you can store your profile on other discs, or systems. I keep my TB profile on a fat32 partition so I can access it from Windows and Linux. Works excellent - Really easy to set up too, when I get time I will do the same thing with my firefox bookmarks - There is a howto on the Mozilla site.

Laters
Hikaru79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Java plugin working fine for Firefox, but say I want to be able to run Java applets in Firefox's RSS Aggregator part. Is this possible? Do I need some extension, or is there a way to enable this?
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru79 wrote:
I have the Java plugin working fine for Firefox, but say I want to be able to run Java applets in Firefox's RSS Aggregator part. Is this possible? Do I need some extension, or is there a way to enable this?

I'm not sure. You could test it by embedding an applet in some rss with the usual <object> tag, and see if it renders it or not.
The plugin works on anything with the correct MIME-type for remote files, and anything with the correct extension for local files. So, if the .class file still gets sent as application/x-java-applet or whatever the MIME-type is, it should work.
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering if it is posible to :make firefox send html->text to festival --tts
so it easyer to listen then to read long pages of manuals.
Hikaru79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:

I'm not sure. You could test it by embedding an applet in some rss with the usual <object> tag, and see if it renders it or not.
The plugin works on anything with the correct MIME-type for remote files, and anything with the correct extension for local files. So, if the .class file still gets sent as application/x-java-applet or whatever the MIME-type is, it should work.

I've tried that -- I have an RSS feed ( http://www.goproblems.com/rss/makefeed.php ) which works perfectly as a Live Bookmark in Firefox, but doesn't work at all if I give it to Thunderbird. :(
effloresce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux scrollbars.
In both userChrome and userContent files.
Code:

scrollbarbutton[sbattr="scrollbar-up-bottom"] {display: -moz-box !important;}
scrollcorner {background-color: #f2f4f8;}
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized something cool: If you install the -bin packages (www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin and mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin) then they automagically have the links working.For example, clicking a mailto: link in Firefox opens a Thunderbird "Compose Mail" window, and clicking a link from an email in Thunderbird magically opens the site in Firefox. That's very cool! 8)
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:

Firefox userChrome.css:[code]
font-family: monospace !important;
}
/* This hides the "Help" and "Go" menus from appearing, to save space */
menu[label="Go"], menu[label="Help"] {
display: none !important;
}

this wont work anymore on latest firefox, so you wanna tryout
http://cdn.mozdev.org/compact/
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By latest you mean 1.1.x?
It still works on all 1.0.x versions
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: