View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pubare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User Agent Switcher allows you to change browser ID from the menu - link .

And Preferential is a must have - link , especially in conjunction with http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries , you can get into all kinda stuff.

Oh, and one I haven't seen posted here. In about:config create a boolean name browser.urlbar.autoFill and set it to true - this duplicates IE's autocomplete function. It can be annoying by itself, as it matches first entry in history, so I also set browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to true - this completely mimics IEs autocomplete.

EDIT: Added URL tags & link text. --pjp
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for another URL-bar tweak, if you like IE/Windows "select all on click" behaviour, you can enable that in Firefox and Mozilla by changing the browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll preference to true.
Coenobite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very cool (but a bit old) Firefox tips in this thread.
Registered user #379997
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew about that thread :) Thanks for pointing it out

On the topic of bookmarks, theres a hell of a lot of stuff you can do with them besides just bookmarking a single page.
You can, as described in the other thread, add a %s to the bookmark URL, allowing you to substitute strings into the actual URL.
You can also bookmark other protocols besides the usual http:// protocol.
For example, you can bookmark an internet radio station, and use a bookmark to access it. Thats a very very simple example though.
Where it gets really interesting is when you realize you can bookmark javascript: protocol URLs too.
Say you wanted to remove redirects from a webpage. Redirects are those annoying things that result in you getting shoved off to another page you didnt really want to visit.
You can dump the following into a bookmark URL:
Code:

javascript:(function(){var k,x,t,i,j,p; for(k=0;x=document.links[k];k++){t=x.href.replace(/[%]3A/ig,':').replace(/[%]2f/ig,'/');i=t.lastIndexOf('http');if(i>0){ t=t.substring(i); j=t.indexOf('&'); if(j>0)t=t.substring(0,j); p=/https?\:\/\/[^\s]*[^.,;'%22>\s\)\]]/.exec(unescape(t)); if(p) x.href=p[0]; } else if (x.onmouseover&&x.onmouseout){x.onmouseover(); if (window.status && window.status.indexOf('://')!=-1)x.href=window.status; x.onmouseout(); } x.onmouseover=null; x.onmouseout=null; }})();

and whenever you want to disable redirects, just click that bookmark icon. Obviously, youd want to put it into your bookmarks tab for easy access.
http://www.squarefree.com has a lot of examples of these "bookmarklets"
Gogiel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have somebody compiled Firefox with flags other than standard?

I tried
Code:
 -O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -ftracer -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -s -mmmx -m3dnow
but it crashed.

Do you have any other experience with it?
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flags will give you evil evil errors.
Apart from the fact that a fair few are filtered out anyway, you really shouldnt enable -ffast-math globally, unless you understand what it actually does.
-msse and -mmmx and -m3dnow are implied by your -march flag, and shouldnt be forced on anyway.
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: quickly turning on/off image loading Reply with quote

i know most gentooers aren't on dialup, but it would be nice to have a quick/easy way to turn off all image loading other than searching through the options -> security (why security) -> images -> block all images.

i've heard opera has a simple button to turn on/off image loading. how to have a button on top in moz to do the same?
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:
Apart from the fact that a fair few are filtered out anyway, you really shouldnt enable -ffast-math globally, unless you understand what it actually does.
-msse and -mmmx and -m3dnow are implied by your -march flag, and shouldnt be forced on anyway.

Can you give me the link where the gcc-manual says that -march implies -mmmx -m3dnow etc. ?
metalifloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of you have probably already seen this but for the sake of completeness, there is a link on mozilla's site to some FireFox tips and tricks.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips
Coenobite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalifloyd wrote:
Most of you have probably already seen this but for the sake of completeness, there is a link on mozilla's site to some FireFox tips and tricks.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips

Strange, I've never seen that page before, it's great!! Needless to say, it's now bookmarked :wink:
Registered user #379997
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pointess but amusing trick:

type "about:mozilla" in the URL field, without the quote marks, and hit enter. it'll work in mozilla, firefox, netscape... pretty much any Gecko browser.

by the way, i noticed that if you have a ton of extensions, it significantly slows down firefox's startup. so obvious i didn't even think about it until i dumped a ton of extensions i don't use.
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transient wrote:

There are two ways to let mozilla handle a particular protocol. You can either register the protocol handler with mozilla itself, so that mozilla can display and get information itself. Many plugins do this, the realplayer plugin for example. This however, requires you to create a mozilla component, which is beyond the capabilities of most people.

hmm. do you know if anyone has already done this with mms://? the reason why i ask is that i'd like to have mms:// feeds handled by mplayerplug-in, so i get the nice play and pause buttons.

otherwise, i'll just use your second option and have it run in mplayer (since taht is the only player i have ATM that can handle mp3's using mms protocol).
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-nice wrote:
transient wrote:

Can you give me the link where the gcc-manual says that -march implies -mmmx -m3dnow etc. ?

-march itself does not imply those flags.
-march=somearch implies the flags that that archtecture supports.
Take a look under i386 and x86_64 Options in the GCC manual.
For example, -march=athlon-xp says
GCC manual wrote:
Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and full SSE instruction set support.

In that case, the -mmmx flags and so on only have a purpose if they are set to -mnommx, -mnosse and so on.
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update:
It's possible to use the
Code:
-remote
option to control where externals open links. However, it's also possible to set a default for anything that calls
Code:
firefox http://some.url.com
without using the remote option.

By setting the MOZILLA_NEWTYPE envvar to "tab", you can force all apps to open URLs in a new tab, unless they use the remote option.
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a mouse gesture extension which lets you do things like "right click & left klick" to go back? I remember opera having something like this.
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswissmiss wrote:
Is there a mouse gesture extension which lets you do things like "right click & left klick" to go back? I remember opera having something like this.

behold
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick tip:

If you want to make links that would normally open in a new window to open in a new tab edit about:config :
Code:
browser.link.open_newwindow 3

I'm not sure if the "Open links from other applications in a new tab in the most recent window" option in preferences should do this, but it didn't work with me. :p
eniac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:
Quick tip:

If you want to make links that would normally open in a new window to open in a new tab edit about:config :
Code:

I'm not sure if the "Open links from other applications in a new tab in the most recent window" option in preferences should do this, but it didn't work with me. :p

I don't have this option in my about:config I'm using mozilla 1.7.5
transient
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eniac wrote:
pussi wrote:
Quick tip:

Code:

I don't have this option in my about:config I'm using mozilla 1.7.5

Code:
browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen
is the pref you want.
Set it to true.
eniac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe useful for other
Code:

browser.tabs.opentabfor.