Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sun Ultra5 and the 2.6.9 kernel (2.6.9-r14)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ygreen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Sun Ultra5 and the 2.6.9 kernel (2.6.9-r14) Reply with quote

Ok, I've been pounding my head against the wall for days with this. I'm trying to make my old Sun Ultra5 uselful again. I installed the latest Solaris9 on it the other day just to run cricket (cricket.sourceforge.net) on it but got so frustrated with the broken perl and cpan configuration in Solaris that I quickly turned to my favorite Linux, Gentoo for relief.

After doing a full install from the latest 2004.3 livecd with a totally vanilla config onto this box and trying an unsuccessfull 2.6.10-r1 kernel build (this one hung right after selecting it in silo), I turned to the last 2.6.9 kernel that seems to load at least initially.

The probem here is when its booting up, I get all the usual kernel status stuff but then it terminates booting at:

Code:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Please append the correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
<0>Press Stop-A (L1-A) to return to the boot prom

No other apparent errors until this. I never could get even this far with the 2.6.10 kernel so I'm really really close to getting it working I feel here and I don't want to use a 2.4 kernel at all. I read every inch of docs on this and even Google'd around for an answer for the last few days with no luck. I've tried literally every concievable configuration of silo and kernel compile options and no matter what I do it seems like I can't get my kernel to load up my filesystem.

For reference, heres my partition layout of /dev/hda via fdisk:

Code:

Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 63 sectors, 16706 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   r         0      2976   1499904   83  Linux native
/dev/hda2  u       2976      3968    499968   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3             0     16706   8419824    5  Whole disk
/dev/hda4          3968      9920   2999808   83  Linux native
/dev/hda5          9920     13888   1999872   83  Linux native
/dev/hda6         13888     16706   1420272   83  Linux native

...and my fstab...

Code:

/dev/hda1               /               ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda4               /usr            ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda5               /var            ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda6               /home           ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0
none                    /proc/openprom  openpromfs      defaults                0 0

..and /etc/silo.conf:

Code:

partition = 1
root = /dev/hda1
timeout = 50
image = /boot/image
        label = Gentoo
        root = /dev/hda1

image = "cat /etc/msgs/hello.msg"
        label = H
        single-key
# And if you press L, you will see long listing of your /lib/modules/ :)
image = "ls -l /lib/modules/"
        label = L
        single-key

Yes, devfs and all of the other documented mandatory features are added to my kernel's .config. I'd post it but its huge and would probably just annoy everyone if I did so just ask if you want to see a particular setting.

I'd love to use this Ultra5 as its compact and reasonably fast for what would otherwise be a dumpster gem. It would make a great monitoring server if I could just get Gentoo booted! Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Note: I also emerged udev since the docs reccomended it but it doesnt seem to matter as it cant see the root partition on boot for whatever reason.
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hazard a guess that you haven't the right IDE drivers built into your kernel - If I remember correctly it's a CMD643. You need to check the kernel messages before the error to see what controllers and disks/partitions are being recognised.

Also, Are you sure that 2.6.10 hung? I suspect that whats really happening is that it's doing the same as 2.6.9 but without any display https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=271438 might help here....
ygreen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Problem solved! Reply with quote

Yep, that was it. I went back into menuconfig and added the driver for the CMD643 and it boots up fine now! Now I'll have to mess around with the 2.6.10 kernel ;-)

However now I have a different problem. After I get past all of the boot messages, the keyboard map is all off. I can't use it at all. It doesnt even look like all of the keys are accounted for in the wrong keymap as I cant actually type "root" to log in and work on the box.

I have what I thougth was the only appropriate keymap selected in rc.conf. Here's a sample of the head of it..

Code:

pizzabox root # cat /etc/rc.conf
# /etc/rc.conf: Global startup script configuration settings
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/rc.conf,v 1.22 2003/10/21 06:09:42 vapier Exp $

# Use KEYMAP to specify the default console keymap.  There is a complete tree
# of keymaps in /usr/share/keymaps to choose from.  This setting is used by the
# /etc/init.d/keymaps script.

KEYMAP="sunkeymap"

# Should we first load the 'windowkeys' console keymap?  Most x86 users will
# say "yes" here.  Note that non-x86 users should leave it as "no".

SET_WINDOWKEYS="no"

# The maps to load for extended keyboards.  Most users will leave this as is.

EXTENDED_KEYMAPS=
#EXTENDED_KEYMAPS="backspace keypad"

What is the right keymap to use for a regular Sun keyboard? Anyone have any idea whats wrong with this keymap?
toyz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a decent amount of experimenting... I've found 2.6.10-gentoo-r2 and r6 both have problems with serial console.

2.6.9-gentoo-r14 works quite well, seems as good as sparc-sources-2.4. Thanks for the clues guys...
billshewman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved! Reply with quote

ygreen wrote:
Yep, that was it. I went back into menuconfig and added the driver for the CMD643 and it boots up fine now! Now I'll have to mess around with the 2.6.10 kernel ;-)

However now I have a different problem. After I get past all of the boot messages, the keyboard map is all off.

What is the right keymap to use for a regular Sun keyboard? Anyone have any idea whats wrong with this keymap?

Did you find a fix? I had the same original problem you had. Fixed it with the IDE driver. Now, I have the keyboard map problem.

Thanks,
Michael
appletalking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you find a fix? I had the same original problem you had. Fixed it with the IDE driver. Now, I have the keyboard map problem.

I recently installed Gentoo on my Ultra 5 using gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6 and had the same keymap problem. I fixed it by changing "sunkeymap" to "us" in /etc/rc.conf. Everything else seems to work fine thus far; I have the machine compiling Gnome right now. I have a Sun Type 5 keyboard and mouse, in case that matters.

Hope this helps,
Nick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: