View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if not unmrging it, old symlinks will point to the bad ones, so it is highly possible that you will use the borked binutils. :)

Sipi
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
Yes, but if not unmrging it, old symlinks will point to the bad ones, so it is highly possible that you will use the borked binutils. :)

Sipi

The tbz2s contain the symlinks as well so that shouldn't be a problem in this case. I basically did it to make it foolproof (although fools are so ingenious, one will probably find a bug within the next 5 minutes :)).
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoozie wrote:

I also had to do this.
Code:
emerge -C gcc

Uff, why do you need to unmerge gcc? I did not have any problem with it. You should have problem only if you emerge gcc AFTER emerging binutils, but since it is impossibel...:)

If you have gcc problems, issue gcc-config x to switch profile, and env-update, source /etc/profile.

Sipi
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it contains the symlinks, but not the live environment variables. These should be generated only if emerge it via Portage, but simply untarring it will not make the correct /etc/env.d entries.
Moreover, this old binutils does not have multislot feature, so you can not use binutils-config to switch to it.

Sipi
Kirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, as the hoster of these files I have to point this out:

THIS IS A NASTY HACK FIX TO GET A SYSTEM GOING AGAIN.

We are in no way proposing that it's all singing all dancing and follows everyones recommened practices.

This complaints about not having multislot features and so forth... so what ?
It gets a system from total b0rked to being able to re-emerge a working binutils as it should be.
The re-emerge will over write the env.d files.

Instead of going on about this, howabout actually providing something constructive ? (a r4 binutils would be nice) :P
WaterSoul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a binutils binary amd64 package that can actually be installed with emerge bintutils -k ? (instead of unmerge, tar and editing env files as described earlier)
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterSoul wrote:
Does anyone have a binutils binary amd64 package that can actually be installed with emerge bintutils -k ? (instead of unmerge, tar and editing env files as described earlier)

Why waste time? You can use the AMD one just fine. It's a lot less time than waiting for what you're asking for...
Kirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd64 version being cooked up as we "write" however, edit env.d files ? where ? when ? why ? lol

as for emerge -k *shrug* this is a hack fix, if you too lazy to type the commands
I'm too lazy to make the -k binary ;)

[okok]
AMD64 binary package up, but as emerge -k version :P

Last edited by Kirth on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterSoul wrote:

Don't waste time waiting for one, just untar the binary, as we said earlier. emerge -k and untar do the same thing in effect, and you can get your system up and running faster with untar.
Discotizer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Don't waste time waiting for one, just untar the binary, as we said earlier. emerge -k and untar do the same thing in effect, and you can get your system up and running faster with untar.

Sorry, but please don't do this. It will bork your /usr because portage doesn't know about these files and can't uninstall them. Just use "emerge binutils-whatsoever.tbz2", it will at least make portage know about the installed package. And portage will deinstall the misbehaving new binutils automatically.
Personally, I've masked the new binutils after I did the above and am now happily using -r1.
Just append
Code:

=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r3

to /etc/portage/package.mask
you can do "emerge -uD world" afterwards and this will install -r1 and continue without segfaults.
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discotizer wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:

Sorry, but please don't do this. It will bork your /usr because portage doesn't know about these files and can't uninstall them. Just use "emerge binutils-whatsoever.tbz2", it will at least make portage know about the installed package. And portage will deinstall the misbehaving new binutils automatically.
Personally, I've masked the new binutils after I did the above and am now happily using -r1.
Just append
Code:

=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r3

to /etc/portage/package.mask
you can do "emerge -uD world" afterwards and this will install -r1 and continue without segfaults.

1) Portage doesn't NEED to know about these files. That's why you need to re-emerge afterwards.
2) You CANNOT mask it and re-emerge an older version, because nothing will compile for the people who have this problem.

Please look through ALL the posts in a thread before replying.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[removed - emerge -k wins the day]

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Discotizer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
What a way to introduce yourself to the forums - by not reading the whole topic before responding. Sheesh. :roll:

Very sorry for my bad behaviour, I'm usually hanging out at the MLs. I actually read the topic (as I had the very same problem to fix) but didn't read a good argument for doing it the "tar" way. emerge can untar the package, too. It just has a few addons: It will deinstall the borked -r3 first, and it registers the tbz2 in the portage db.
zaanpenguin wrote:
1) Portage doesn't NEED to know about these files. That's why you need to re-emerge afterwards.

So what you mean is: it will install binutils...-r1 then (because -r3 is masked then). And you think this will create the same files that are in the afore untarred tbz2. But you don't know, this may depend on various settings. If you manually untar -r1, portage doesn't know about all these files. And you don't have a guarantee that they're ever get removed, say, when -r3 is fixed and you unmask that.
Quote:
2) You CANNOT mask it and re-emerge an older version, because nothing will compile for the people who have this problem.

Of course you need to unpack a tbz2. Just don't use tar, use emerge. Emerge can be called with a tbz2 as parameter and it will install this tbz2 (no need to copy it to /usr/portage/packages/All), This is actually not recommended, but it works.
I actually ran into this bug myself and my solution fixed it without borking /usr. Your suggested solution will clobber /usr with files that are not guaranteed to be removed when binutils is reemerged in -r1 or somewhen in the future upgraded to -r3 (or -r4, then).
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaanpenguin wrote:
For those experiencing this problem, I've cooked up two tbz2's.
One is for generic Pentium-4 and one for AMD Athlon. Make sure you extract them from or to '/'.
Both can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.ruled.org/pub/Gentoo/
Code:
    654 Feb 23 14:36 README
7873492 Feb 23 13:34 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r1-P4-binpkg.tar.bz2
3945720 Feb 23 13:28 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD-binpkg.tar.bz2
4043358 Feb 23 14:23 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD64-binpkg.tar.bz2
Also, read the README file. When you're done, issue:
Code:
echo =sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r3 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge binutils
and you should be fine.

Files are being graciously hosted by Jaded@EFnet, thanks!
Miztic has provided us with the nice quickpkg tar.bz2 for AMD64, gracias!

Before you get all high and mighty on us: it was intended as a quick hack and it should be regarded as one!

That solved it. Thanks! :-)

"My logic is undeniable."
Kirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'm confused as to how these files will get missed (from the tgz that is).

1. We untar the tgz to /, installing a binary version of 2.15.92.02-rX
note: even with the X all the files are in the same location and called the same

2. We mask the r3 broken code.

3. We emerge the SAME version of binutils that the tar file is. This writes files in the EXACT same place as the tar did.

Care to explain to me how a file will be "missed" on an uninstall ?

And, for godsakes it's a HACK. You'd be better of bitching that people are putting completely toasted packages into portage rather than complaining about a 100% we-know-it's-wrong hack

Personally, when I have people yelling and need stuff fixed NOW, I dont care too much about the rules :P
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirth wrote:
ok, I'm confused as to how these files will get missed (from the tgz that is).

1. We untar the tgz to /, installing a binary version of 2.15.92.02-rX
note: even with the X all the files are in the same location and called the same

The instructions are standardized already, we agree on using emerge --usepkg (aka emerge -k) to install the working binutils. See post above yours for the details.

OK guys, stop the yelling, at least we will have working systems now. :D

Thanks to Discotizer for reminding us of --usepkg.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to tell in this jungle-buggy that the method (either with --usepkg or simply untarring and deleting /etc/env.d/binutils and 05binutils file) works.

After installing binary version, you can emerge the 2.15.92.0.2-r1 version with this. It will work.
For safety, you shold emerge itself again.

Than, there if you not emerged with --usepkg, you can safely delete some files, just look in the tar file for older files.

Regards,
Sipi
Xeen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:
That solved it. Thanks! :-)

Just adding a 'me too' :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
It might be good for the mods to make this sticky. This is a very, very insidious and hard to solve problem.
/agree and stickied.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[side note]
Ironically, I just checked which version of binutils I was running, and it seems that the binutils curse has not affected me.
Code:
$ emerge --info
Portage 2.0.51-r15 (default-linux/x86/2004.3, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r0, 2.6.10-gentoo-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.10-gentoo-r7 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.9
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.5 [2.3.5 (#1, Feb 21 2005, 15:54:29)]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r3
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-mtune=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -falign-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ftracer -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-mtune=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -funroll-loops -falign-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ftracer -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.averse.net/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://mirror.averse.net/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X acpi alsa apm avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cjk crypt curl emboss encode f77 fam fbcon font-server fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ithreads java jpeg ldap libg++ libwww mad mikmod mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png pthreads python quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode xml2 xv zlib"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS

Then again, this system is only 3 days young. ;-)

As a confirrmatory check, I emerged ccache just 30 minutes ago (my last sync and "emerge -uDav --newuse world" was 1 hour ago) without any errors.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note: it is very funny if someone takes the developers as the guilty.

If some has maketest as FEATURES, and even see that binutils has a test USE flag - and maybe he uses the "unstable" branch... so, he should use the testtools, too.

Using any testtools of the above, binutils failed to emerge, since tests failed horribly. I know, it failed for me. I didn't care and installed it anyway.

Was the test borked? Yes.
Does it means that the binary is mailfunction? Yes.
Did I install it anyway? Yes.
Is it a miracle that my system failed? No...
Was I am a monkey? Yes...

So, while it should be irritating that these big mistakes shoul dbe in Portage tree, it is clear that 1) it is an unstable package, 2) there are testing tools to see if it will break or not.

Best regards,
Sipi
zaanpenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
Just a quick note: it is very funny if someone takes the developers as the guilty.

If some has maketest as FEATURES, and even see that binutils has a test USE flag - and maybe he uses the "unstable" branch... so, he should use the testtools, too.

Using any testtools of the above, binutils failed to emerge, since tests failed horribly. I know, it failed for me. I didn't care and installed it anyway.

Was the test borked? Yes.
Does it means that the binary is mailfunction? Yes.
Did I install it anyway? Yes.
Is it a miracle that my system failed? No...
Was I am a monkey? Yes...

So, while it should be irritating that these big mistakes shoul dbe in Portage tree, it is clear that 1) it is an unstable package, 2) there are testing tools to see if it will break or not.

Best regards,
Sipi

Running an unstable tree is not the equivalent of having to use developer features like the testtools, or being a monkey for that matter. I'll go on record by saying that this is the first serious problem I've had running unstable for over half a year now, on a production server no less. Not to mention that these 'issues' have happened with the stable tree in the past as well. The unstable tree should be for people wanting to run bleeding edge versions of programs, not bleeing edge bugs :)

Last edited by zaanpenguin on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, it was not hardmasked.

But hey, anyway, FEATURES="maketest" is not a bad thing to try :)

BTW, thatt's true that it was a serious problem.
But that is true, too, that the solution took VERY little time! :) :)
I love Gentoo...:)

Sipi
n3x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:: Heh - just kidding :) figured it out for my own dumb self.

Stupid question, but :

Code:
!> emerge -k binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD64-binpkg.tar.bz2            (root@n3x)
Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD64-binpkg.tar.bz2".

I was under the impression you could pass tbz2s are arguments and emerge could handle it?

Sorry for being so incompetent...

Thanks
james

Last edited by n3x on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
grunch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: binutils upgrade (to 2.15.92.0.2-r3) causes gcc to segfault Reply with quote

zaanpenguin wrote:
For those experiencing this problem, I made two of the following tbz2's.
One is for generic Pentium-4 and one for AMD Athlon. Make sure you extract them from or to '/'.
All files can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.ruled.org/pub/Gentoo/
Code:
    654 Feb 23 14:36 README
7873492 Feb 23 13:34 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r1-P4-binpkg.tar.bz2
3945720 Feb 23 13:28 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD-binpkg.tar.bz2
4043358 Feb 23 14:23 binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r2-AMD64-binpkg.tar.bz2
Also, read the README file. When you're done, issue:
Code:
echo =sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r3 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge binutils
and you should be fine.

Files are being graciously hosted by Jaded@EFnet, thanks!
Miztic has provided us with the nice quickpkg tar.bz2 for AMD64, gracias!

Before you get all high and mighty on us: it was intended as a quick hack and it should be regarded as one!

Thanks for the tarball zaanpenguin! And for the quick hack to correct this unfortunate situation. Thanks to Jaded@EFnet for hosting the files.

It seems inevitable, on occasion, to have these sorts of issues with '~ARCH'.

-grunch
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: