Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
It is right to give them thanks & praise (Gentoo devs, etc.)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stjepan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by stjepan on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
atilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Gentoo! Reply with quote

I did'nt find a "LOVE GENTOO"-topic....
This is a big THANKS to the Gentoo team. "Me loves you" :)

Every time I type emerge ..something.., and every time I boot up my gentoo-thinkpad, my thougts go to the linux and gentoo-hackers out there who actually typed in all of those characters, for users they don't know (including me).

I just wanted to say: Thanks! You are doing a heck of a job, making things easy and fun for us.

I can't quite understand why people say stuff like "Gentoo sucks" and "Sick of Gentoo" ...??
Nobody forced them to download and use Gentoo, right?
Did they pay for Gentoo? Probably not!
Did the gentoo-hackers promise special-treatment? Probably not!
Did the gentoo-hackers promise to include every fun-to-have app available? Probably not!

"Not beautiful as Mac OS X"....?? I have to ask... what are you using your computer to? Buy a painting or a MAC!!

"This and that doesn't work under Linux" ... well, whine to the producers, not to the hackers who is actually trying to make it work! - Have you ever seen a "Linux drivers/documentation"-CD with your newly purchased gadgets??

"Doesn't have a zillion games to choose from" ... Buy a playstation or whine to the gamemakers!

Why whine about "soooo important" things like eye-candys??
I just cant figure out; what excactly these people are going to use their tool (,the computer,) to...?

So, pretty please, with sugar on top: STOP WHINING!! Be happy, be wery-wery happy, that some developers actually use hours after hours working on Gentoo, so people can use it.

After using x-variants of systems for x-platforms, I'm now using Gentoo-linux.
I am _not_ expecting everything to work 100% perfect all the time.
I am _not_ sitting at home/work and thinking that gentoo-developers reach a point where thay say: "Done! Now everything works perfect, now we can stop hacking on gentoo".

So..... my point is, nothing is perfect! And when it comes to programs and OS'es .....perfect you say...? Maybe today, but tomorrow is a new day when new thinking and new gadgets will see the light of day.
My opinion: Gentoo is perfect (for me)! If something is not working, it will most probably be a temporary problem which will be patched. If not, I have to get up from my so lazy a** and figure it out!
And if I really-really want something that is not in portage, I will find it and install it for myself.
If you look at OS'es you can buy, you will see the exactly same thing there...... a problem...wait wait wait... a patch!!
The difference, you did pay for a system that has problems, but you most probably didn't pay for Gentoo. These guys work mostly for free; so stop whining!

Again.... A big THANKS to Gentoo-developers!! You are doing a great-great-great job!!
mabhobs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very big thanks from me too. The gentoo on my ibook is working like I want it too, but I could have never done this without everybody involved in the gentoo community. Thank you very, very much!!

:D
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above three posts into here.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, they are all fucking useless :p
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized... I've been a faithful user for four years now. I use gentoo on every server and workstation I own. I use gentoo when I teach new Linux users. And I never even took the time to say thanks...

THANK YOU GENTOO DEV TEAM!!!

cmu_xj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Thank You!! Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I am deeply grateful to all in this community. I can not express my gratitude enough. Gentoo has been my main desktop for over 5 years. I have completed a Masters thesis and am now in the middle of a PhD and I am thrilled with its stability and ability to do all that I want and more.

My knowledge of is only a spot in the sand when compared to most but the system has proven to be very reliable and easy to use. When I run into trouble it usually only takes me 10-15 minutes max to jump over here and find the answer. The feeling of completely satisfying.

In truth I rarely contribute anything to the community because I simply do not know enough to provide meaningful input. For this reason I want to give a big THANK YOU!!! to the many who put thousands of hours into developing and maintaining an incredible system.

Steve
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above.
Frapazoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Gentoo!

Portage may be buggy enough that I wonder if it was put together by monkeys but frankly I'm amazed this whole thing works at all. I just got Gnome running on my SGI Octane and I have NEVER seen Gnome load that fast in my life. I have a Fedora Core on a newer Athlon and it draaags ass.

Gentoo saved me enourmous abouts of trouble and has well written documentation that explained exactly how to netboot my Octane, provided special boot images with all the needed patches, and provides a MIPS compiler so I can get everything installed on this weird, funky system.

Thank you all!

MIPS R12000 400mhz - 1536 Megs RAM - Impact SSE Video Board - 10k RPM 73gig SCSI - Gentoo Linux

Athlon K7-Thunderbird 1000mhz - 512 Megs RAM - GeForce 5.2 128meg Video - 5k RPM 40gig IDE - Fedora Core
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest thing about linux is choice, and this distro gives me more choices then i could ever hope for! (or use, for that matter. my computer sucks.)

I'm sure you've heard it before, but the documentation kicks ass. As does portage, and the relative ease-of-use after the system is up. (if you don't tinker with everything, like I do)

Still haven't found a reason (other than time management) to leave gentoo. Now all we need is some more games!

Keep developing Gentoo, you guys are doing a great job, and I don't know what I'd do if Gentoo died...
El_UnO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say? Gentoo is the best.. :D

Gentoo is all about choice and learning, install Gentoo and you'll know how to fix problems because YOU configured it. Let the distro do it for you and you'll be clueless

So a big "Thank you" goes to all the developer's team who put their hard work on making this great distro ;)
obsrv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This distro is really nice. I LOVE it. Thank you :) really thank you
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there's been a lack of developer response. I figure I'll chip in.

Thank you to everyone who has said thank you to the developers who volunteer. Its the people in this thread that we do this for.

So basically, thanks for the thanks <--that just sounded lame...I'm going to go back to hiding now.
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to thank the devs.

Been using gentoo on my laptop for 2.5 years and on my desktop box for 2 years. I am really glad for being able go all the way from something like "2.4.22 + KDE 3.1.4" to "2.6.15 + KDE 3.4.5" without really important problems.
knitecrawler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Really Disapointed by gentoo Reply with quote

Hola,

After been working on windows for quite along time and always wanted to try linux, two months back I decided to shift to Linux, looking on various distro and my little experience with nix I was sure I would never try red hat or Suse. and 14 debian cds didn't made sense to me.

After consulting various freinds I was told that gentoo is really tough to work on and its only for leet people who have nothing to do other then sit on computer, so I decided to install kubuntu as its most user freindly.

Past week It just came to my mind that I need to try gentoo. and after looking into live cd I was sure that I need to try it.
And after going through the process I was really disapointed as everything worked for the first time..

I really loved the installation method just set up all the options start installation and you dont need to intervene anymore. After reading related docs it just took me 15-20 mins to setup my install profile (excluding 3hours ispent to figure out that I need to configure net before starting installation :D )
and I went to sleep to find in morning that gentoo is up and running.

Next thing I was worried about was configuring the sound, and after looking through forum Irealized that I need to recompile Kernel. was a bit scared but with genkernal it was such an ease. I didnt know that complingkernel is this simple.

Next thing I did was install KDE and after browsing a bit I realized but MASK thing which I need to install KDE 3.5.2 and after reading a bit it was simple too.

and comparitive to kubuntu things run lot faster. a lil bit of extra time in installation is definately worth it.

I am really disapointed why I didnt tried Gentoo earlier :lol:
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are enjoying using Gentoo :D
SirYes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Disapointed by gentoo Reply with quote

knitecrawler wrote:
snip
And after going through the process I was really disapointed as everything worked for the first time..

I really loved the installation method just set up all the options start installation and you dont need to intervene anymore. After reading related docs it just took me 15-20 mins to setup my install profile (excluding 3hours ispent to figure out that I need to configure net before starting installation :D )
and I went to sleep to find in morning that gentoo is up and running.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with 90% probablity you must have used the graphical Gentoo Installer. Great to hear that you appreciate it. :D

But to be honest, the real power of Gentoo comes from the complicated (?) manual install using the text console, accompanied by the required reading of the Gentoo Handbook. It's a blessing and a moment of enlightenment for most Gentoo users, because they are forced to read this fine piece of documentation. This way they gain lots of practical knowledge of the inner workings of a Linux system and specifically Gentoo Linux.

In the long run it pays off more than one might expect - because a knowledgeable user is able to solve most of the problems by himself (and who ever said that there wouldn't be any problems... :P)

If you've missed the aforementioned reading, that's very bad. :(

But OTOH if you did read the Handbook, then kudos to you!
And welcome to the wonderful world of Gentoo Linux! ;)
Hope you will like it. :)
6D7474
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Disapointed by gentoo Reply with quote

knitecrawler wrote:

LOL! :lol:

Welcome to Gentoo!!!
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Disapointed by gentoo Reply with quote

knitecrawler wrote:
and 14 debian cds didn't made sense to me.

Just in case anyone reading wasn't already aware of it: you don't need to download all 14 CDs in order to install Debian. :-D

This is now explained both on the main Debian CD page and in more detail in the Debian CD FAQ which is prominently linked to from the aforementioned page.
knitecrawler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I did was taking out printout of document in a nice book format (including text installation method :lol: ) and try to read it before installing.
Then there was great deal of documentation and gentoo-wiki helped me to do rest of stuff pretty easily..

To Siryes: I used live cd but i used Dialog based installer , I also tried graphical based installer Itjust simplifies the job. Maybe next time if I need to install I will use minimum install :D

Syntaxis Thanks for the enlightment :)
SirYes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knitecrawler wrote:
First thing I did was taking out printout of document in a nice book format (including text installation method :lol: ) and try to read it before installing.
Then there was great deal of documentation and gentoo-wiki helped me to do rest of stuff pretty easily..

I'm proud of you! Looks like you're going to like (tweaking) your Gentoo... :D

knitecrawler wrote:
To Siryes: I used live cd but i used Dialog based installer , I also tried graphical based installer Itjust simplifies the job. Maybe next time if I need to install I will use minimum install :D

Thank you for the information.

Best of luck!
deoren
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: packages.gentoo.org Reply with quote

Just a quick post to say "THANKS!" for the Gentoo experience! :)

I was just using packages.gentoo.org and once again reminded of the excellent documenation you guys have. :D
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above.
nickless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is the distro that converted me to linux user:-)

So I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for developing this amaizing distro and for portage and for the great docu and for this forum and for the best community andandand...

Gentoo4ever
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: