Problems installing soundcard drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ant!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Problems installing soundcard drivers Reply with quote

Hi,

I am running Daphile, a Gentoo based music server distribution (ALSA only), on a fit-pc2 (an older 32bit miniPC). The internal soundcard is a Realtek ALC662 rev1, and I have problems getting its proprietary drivers running (in case this somehow will not work: I have as well an older M-Audio Transit USB sound card, also non-free, but drivers are packed in madfuload (https://gpo.zugaina.org/media-sound/madfuload/), I got it running on Kubuntu and Raspbian, so this should somehow be possible as well).

Here is my aplay -l:
Code:
daphile ~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Dummy [Dummy], device 0: Dummy PCM [Dummy PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                                                                                                                 
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                                                                                                                 
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4                                                                                                                                 
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5                                                                                                                                 
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6                                                                                                                                 
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7                                                                                                                                 
card 1: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]                                                                               
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1

So it is recognized (card 1), but I still get no sound when trying to play something through aplay (or Daphile's Interface, which works fine with a different USB-DAC).

I am not at all familiar with Gentoo, but know a bit about Debian & Ubuntu, but as I found out quite some things are different on Gentoo. Since the Daphile developer is for understandable reasons not supporting non-free drivers, I hope someone can guide me through. I have root access through SSH. I downloaded the driver from the Realtek website (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2) and unpacked them to /src.

Following the installation guide packed in the drivers, I do in /src/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/:
Code:
daphile alsa # ./configure
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/src/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

So I guess I have to install (or just point to one which is installed?) a compiler first, or am I doing it wrong?
Would be very happy if someone can help me. Thanks!
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could crosscompile when you know what you are doing. I assume you have the kernel sources and the kernel config in question, correct?

Quote:
I got it running on Kubuntu and Raspbian,

just check what modules are loaded and what alsamixer and those alsatools are telling you

--
ant!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M-Audio Transit USB running on Kubuntu and Raspbian, not the internal soundcard of the fit-pc2, the Realtek ALC662. I'd prefer to use the internal card if possible, only if this fails using the USB soundcard. But if it is much easier to use this one, this would be ok too. But also for this I would need help, since I am not familiar how emerge really works to get madfuload.

Since I never crosscompiled before, I am afraid I would need help in this case too... I have access to everything installed on this PC through root, otherwise no sources (Daphile just comes as an image to install, it is more made for users which never used Linux before. Even for SSH access, I have to use the beta versions instead the releases).

(If it is all too complicated, I might just abandon this project and set it up by myself using Debian or something else. Daphile is just a very user-friendly solution, as long as you don't need special drivers...)
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK.html

That seems to be your driver for your soundcard

reference: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=180608
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software. Not about Gentoo (as Gentoo-derived distributions don't qualify) so it fits better here. Also note than many community members do provide support in this forum.

- John
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant!,

Your default sound card is card0. That's unfortunate as your card0 is
Code:
card 0: Dummy [Dummy], device 0: Dummy PCM [Dummy PCM]
which is a bit like /dev/null and /dev/zero combined.
Any sounds sent to it vanish, with no error message. Anything recorded from it is always zero.

Your real on board sound card is HDA Intel with the ALC662 codec. The dirvers for that have been in the kernel for a long time.

What does
Code:
alsamixer -cX
where X=0, 1, 2 ... until you get an error show?
I suspect
Code:
alsamixer -c1
will show some controls, in which case your ALSA setup is good. You need to configure your system to use card 1 by default, not card 0.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ant!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software. Not about Gentoo (as Gentoo-derived distributions don't qualify) so it fits better here. Also note than many community members do provide support in this forum.

- John

Thanks for moving it over, sorry for that.

@NeddySeagoon:
Tried aplay already with "-D hw:1,0" (and hw:1,1), which should be the correct one, so whatever is default, this should still work?

alsamixers look fine to me, "alsamixer -c1" shows the mixer, and all which look relevant are at high volumes (master, front, line, and some inputs...)

Does this mean the card is installed properly and my problem is elsewhere, or could it be still a missing driver?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant!,

Your sound card appears to be installed correctly.

It will have both analogue and digital outputs. Be sure that all the S/PIF controls are muted.
The card can provide digital or analogue outputs. When digital is enabled, the analogue outputs are silent.

Also, in alsamixer, at the bottom of the controls is either [MM] or [OO].
[MM] means muted, and the slider does nothing.

Ummute only Master, PCM, and Front on card1 and set their sliders to about 70%
Try test sounds using card1

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ant!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the answers!

I just got it working, of course I did some mistakes: I wanted to use aplay only to test if the soundcard works correct, but want to use actually recording. To test the playback, I activated the soundcard in the Daphile-GUI, which somehow failed (usually I use a USB-DAC for playback on this device). But this blocked aplay, I just thought I have to use a different subdevice. So, deactivating the device in the GUI and "aplay -D hw:1,0 -f cd" now plays a wave file.

So I should get recording working as well I guess, just a matter of using the correct alsamixer settings.

Thanks for your help, and sorry to actually creating problems where there were none... :roll:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant!,

The USB card will use different drivers. The generic snd-usb-audio may get you going.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ant!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ant!,

The USB card will use different drivers. The generic snd-usb-audio may get you going.

I know, but I don't need it anymore. Maybe I was not very clear, these soundcards I am using/talking about:

1. An USB-DAC (my CD-Player, connected to my stereo) for playback. I never had a problem with this one, it worked out of the box. But it has no input, which I was trying to get working through one of the other soundcards.
2. The internal Realtek soundcard: I want to record with this one (don't need anything fancy at this point, so this should do it). To test if the driver was fine I used aplay, but I don't plan to use it for actual listening. Tested now arecord as well and set the alsamixers, everything is fine.
3. A M-Audio Transit USB soundcard: Had in mind in case the internal one will not work for recording, so don't need it now. This one would indeed need drivers (madfuload package, got it running in other Linux distros), but not necessary now.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: