Problems with Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckrynne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Problems with Gentoo Reply with quote

I am really new to the Linux Operating System and a friend of mine introduced me to Gentoo over Mandrake. I was really impressed with the emerge utility that Gentoo offers, however, a few nights ago, I crashed my Gentoo Linux. I ended up having to re-install Mandrake just to get a Linux OS back onto my laptop.

Right now, I have everything pretty much configured the way that I would like it through Mandrake, except for the emerge tool.

Is there anyplace that I can download just emerge and it's dependancies?

Thanx in advance for all your help.

Ckrynne
Forse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

Do you mean that you want to download packages from Mandrake so you don't have to do it again while installing gentoo? If so then you can do it by simply downloading files from gentoo mirrors and then placing them in where ever you PORTAGE_TMPDIR points to...

If you mean that you want to install emerge on mandrake, then it's possible too...I think. It was introduced in this forum...Don't remember who wrote...but I'm sure with a little searching on forum you'll find that topic. I just wouldn't reccomend using emerge on Mandrake.

Just download packages you need and fire up gentoo install :wink:
ckrynne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

I am wanting to run emerge through Mandrake.

Why isn't that recommended?

Ckrynne
Forse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: I don't get it... Reply with quote

I just don't get your idea :? Why you wanna run emerge on Mandrake? Well is you want to fetch files...there is a easier way...Or do you just want to use Mandrake in future and wanna take advantage of portage...which one is it?

I don't mean to be rude I just wonder...Tell why you wanna install portage on Mandrake and I'll tell you how :wink:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not recommended because you will have two package managers fighting over who manages files.
ckrynne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

I would like to run emerge through Mandrake because I was really impressed with the dependancy checking capability that emerge has. I tried for almost two months to get Gentoo configured correctly on my Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201 Laptop without a whole lot of success. I am also having a few problems with the laptop, mainly that the DVD ROM is going bad. It has problems reading some burned CDs, and I don't have a Gentoo CD. I do have the Mandrake 8.0 CDs, and it reads them fine. So I do have access to those files whenever I need them.

I did read a lot of the man pages, and learned an awful lot about how the Linux Operating System works, but I still couldn't get the correct hardware settings in Gentoo. I also am running a dial-up connection that I have to run through windoze :( (AOL) :( as my internet service. I loved that emerge would tell me exactly what packages I needed to download and what order to install them in.

The main reason that I want to run Mandrake is that it is up and running on my hard-drive and it was completely installed inside of two hours. I admit that I do have a few more tweaks to make to it, but those are really simple ones that I just haven't gotten the time to make yet.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this helps.
ckrynne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Thank you :-D Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help in this problem kanuslupus and Forse.

I am going to try the suggestions in the post that crichards wrote.

I will post back here when I have everything up and working correctly.

Again, thank you very much.
ckrynne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: still having problems Reply with quote

I downloaded portage tarball that was recommeded in the the post that kanuslupus recommended to me. It said that I need Python 2.2.x. I was running Python 2.0, so I downloaded Python-2.2.2.tgz from the sorces.

I then did a ./configure && make && make install on Python-2.2.2. Everything seemed to install fine when I did this.

When I was going through the instructions in the post, I got through everything right up to the "cp *.5 /usr/man/man5" line. I then did the "cd ../src/missingos" and came across a problem. The file is actually python-missingos. That wasn't a big deal, I changed to that directory and tried to do the "./setup.py install" and came up with an error.

/usr/bin/env: python2.2: No such file or directory

I did run through the rest of the commands and everything else worked like it was suppossed to, as far as I can tell.

However, when I tried to run emerge, it came up with the same error about /usr/bin/env: python2.2: No such file or directory.

Now I am stuck. I don't know what else I can do. Can somebody please help me?

Thank you in advance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: