Cobalt RaQ2 / Memory Conditions / Perhiprials
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Cobalt RaQ2 / Memory Conditions / Perhiprials Reply with quote

I've been running for a while now on the 2.6 kernel with moderate success.

However, my system only has a very small amount of memory available (32M, the default was the Qube's shipped with) Most of the time this is OK, but its very limiting, especially if you are trying to emerge newer versions of gcc or anything that will eat a good amount of memory. Several times OpenSSH has gone down on me because the memory was used up (The kernel will select a prcoess to kill when resources are low)

I might just get some more memory for it. But then again I haven't been
using the box for that much because its not that stable since it runs out of RAM and kills things. Its tough to justify the $100 or so for the special SIMM if you aren't going to use it - especially when the box is pretty underpowered compared to putting $100 into a newer machine....

What do you guys use your RaQ2's for?

I was also thinking of sticking a USB card into the PCI slot and getting a couple ports for some perhiprials on there.

Has anyone put anything interesting in thiers?

BTW

The trouble I was having getting newer software compiled was related to the wrong binutils. Thanks Kumba.
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have made a bigger swap partition or setup a cross compiler on another machine...
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special RAM? I just used standard 72-pin EDO in mine... this stuff pops up on EBay from time to time.

As to peripherals... I plugged an Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI SCSI card, then hooked a drive cage up to that...turning the box into a nice portable file server.

It's not super fast, but does a respectible ~3MB/sec, which is still faster than most ADSL/Cable internet connections around here (typically 1MB/s tops).

Certainly give it a try though -- I don't know of anyone who has tried a USB card in a Cobalt server, but so long as it doesn't try doing anything clever with the PCI bus, it should work.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Sanguinary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
Certainly give it a try though -- I don't know of anyone who has tried a USB card in a Cobalt server, but so long as it doesn't try doing anything clever with the PCI bus, it should work.

I recall NetBSD users reporting success using USB cards in Qubes, so there shouldn't be any overwhelming technical hurdle.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
It's not super fast, but does a respectible ~3MB/sec, which is still faster than most ADSL/Cable internet connections around here (typically 1MB/s tops).

The internal IDE running on DMA clocks ~11MB/sec for me, however I doubt the system ever reaches that potential due to the processor limitation. On the USB-side of things, you'll still need to boot off HDA1, unless Peter cooks up some new tricks for his firmware.

--Kumba
crahen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ram had to be the 3.3V variety?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: