View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: excuse for not using Linux Reply with quote

I work for a pro-microsoft company. Here's the excuses I've heard:

- "If we put Linux on here, and I'm not here, no one else will know how to do things on them if they break."

- "But we use ASP."

- "What's that?"

You know, maybe if they used Linux/UNIX, they wouldn't be fixing things just "just break"....

-ee99ee2
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an Apache::ASP module. It seems to work fine except when i used it (Late 2000) it gave no useful debugging info. That may have changed since then.
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: excuse for not using Linux Reply with quote

ee99ee2 wrote:
I work for a pro-microsoft company. Here's the excuses I've heard:

- "If we put Linux on here, and I'm not here, no one else will know how to do things on them if they break."

- "But we use ASP."

- "What's that?"

You know, maybe if they used Linux/UNIX, they wouldn't be fixing things just "just break"....

-ee99ee2

i heard the first one quite a few times. the other ones are not that big of a problem.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: excuse for not using Linux Reply with quote

ee99ee2 wrote:
Amen. I've seen Exchange set itself on fire for no apparent reason -- no log entries, no trace files, no warning -- and just die. I've seen IIS up and decide it won't serve web pages unless I disable and re-enable the network interface. And I've seen far too many things break after a reboot only to be solved by rebooting again.

Gentoo, on the other hand, only breaks when I know I'm doing something that will break it, like running gentoo-sources for instance. ;) But even then I have information I can use to investigate the issue, rather than noticing that the Exchange MTA stacks service has stopped inexplicably.
nbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a decent directory service is my excuse.
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats that nbg?

Get lost before you get shot.
nbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

It's well, a directory service :)

Think of Microsoft Active Directory or Novell Netware. Linux has NIS, but it's too insecure to be useful in anything more than a lab or home environment.
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDAP?

-ee99ee2
jlg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorite is:

Linux is not ready for the desktop because its not 100% compatible with windows.

LOL!!!
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbg wrote:
The lack of a decent directory service is my excuse.

And a piss-poor one, at that. :)

http://www.openldap.org/

--kurt
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

Think of Microsoft Active Directory or Novell Netware. Linux has NIS, but it's too insecure to be useful in anything more than a lab or home environment.
i dont know what " Microsoft Active Directory" is, but i have heard of "Novell Netware"... thats the thing my school uses. haha come on! even _i_ hacked it! :)
pfft "insecure".. then you should use Novell Netware.. Thats insecure!

nbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthos wrote:
nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

i dont know what " Microsoft Active Directory" is, but i have heard of "Novell Netware"... thats the thing my school uses. haha come on! even _i_ hacked it! :)

NIS doesn't even require hacking. Just run a sniffer, and you should have plenty of passwords in minutes. It's amazing how an OS where security isn't merely an afterthought can have such a crappy directory service.
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

NIS doesn't even require hacking. Just run a sniffer, and you should have plenty of passwords in minutes. It's amazing how an OS where security isn't merely an afterthought can have such a crappy directory service.
well dont use nis then, as many suggested openldap .

dreamsofxion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthos wrote:

Well, as a former assistant Novell admin, I can vouch that if set up properly, Novell Netware is probably the most stable, robust, and secure non-UNIX-esque server OS.

Unfortunately, due to the growth of Windows 2000 in the server environment, properly trained and knowledgable Netware admins are becoming more and more difficult to find...

...but, then, even Windows 2000 can be locked down and stripped to a minimalistic state that provides a very good degree of stability...
nbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthos wrote:
nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
nbg wrote:
anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

well dont use nis then, as many suggested openldap .

In order to get the equivalent functionality out of OpenLDAP that you would with Active Directory (assuming that at least some of your clients are Windows), you need to tack on Kerberos, Samba, NTPD, and BIND. For medium-sized to large networks, this can quickly become unmanageable, particularly if you have to give some basic administration rights to underlings. The only way it would work in a business environment is if I was the only one managing the directory, or if there were tools that combined administration of the needed servers so a PHB could use it without his eyes glazing over. AFAIK (I could be wrong), no such tools exist, at least not freely.

I may set up such a system on my personal network to get some hands-on experience with it, but I can't see myself using it for anything else other than a fun lab exercise.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbg wrote:
In order to get the equivalent functionality out of OpenLDAP that you would with Active Directory (assuming that at least some of your clients are Windows), you need to tack on Kerberos, Samba, NTPD, and BIND.

Well, that's simply the Windows philosophy (one big, monolithic program) vs. the UNIX way (bunch of small, specialized programs that interoperate)

nbg wrote:
For medium-sized to large networks, this can quickly become unmanageable, particularly if you have to give some basic administration rights to underlings.

Simply not true.

nbg wrote:
The only way it would work in a business environment is if I was the only one managing the directory, or if there were tools that combined administration of the needed servers so a PHB could use it without his eyes glazing over.

Again, simply not true. I work for a Fortune 50 company that relies heavily upon LDAP (commericial, not Open) and has it integrated fully with their kerberized infrastructure. NIS maps, DNS information and pretty much anything else can be stored and/or updated in LDAP. Management is easy and very scalable. Just because a management tool isn't available as an MMC plugin doesn't mean it's difficult to use.

--kurt
iancognito85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

how old are you anthos? you still at high school?
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offie wrote:
anthos wrote:
whats that nbg?

how old are you anthos? you still at high school?
why you wonder?
im 17 and soon to be 18, more precisly on the 29th in 22 days from now.
im at the "gymnasium" as its called in sweden, second grade.
with Sociology as program.

ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to remind you all of something. A school never has people in IS/IT who know ANYTHING.... EVER.... PERIOD... (at least in my experence)....

-ee99ee2
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
but i have heard of "Novell Netware"... thats the thing my school uses. haha come on! even _i_ hacked it!

hehe, I hacked my school network when i was 14 - they where using Novell Netware, I think most people at my school could have accidently hacked that server! 8O
doug-x07
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard a good one from an it director of a financial services company. He basically said that if we used linux (debian) instead of hp-ux, solaris or NT that would mean that whenever something broke or crashed he would be directly accountable and responsible for it. With proprietrary stuff he could just say it's an nt/solaris/hp-ux problem whenever they came across a particularly nasty problem and the company are looking into it. A case of pass the buck to the editor and let them take the flak, that's what they are paid for. That way the decision makers are happy, the editors get more work, nobody is ultimately responsible and nothing gets solved.
try { $again } catch { $problem && $resolve };
bless $posters; }
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of directory services, has anyone here tried Novell's eDirectory for linux? (in a production environment or something similar). I've worked with Novell servers for quite a while and know they can be very secure and massively scalable if properly configured. They deliver file and print services like a trooper. There is all the weirdo windows problems... something stops working for some reason, you get it fixed but what went wrong is a great mystery.. maybe solar activity? Intense neutrino bombardment? Uranus rising during the age of aquarius? :D
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouverite wrote:
Speaking of directory services, has anyone here tried Novell's eDirectory for linux? (in a production environment or something similar). I've worked with Novell servers for quite a while and know they can be very secure and massively scalable if properly configured. They deliver file and print services like a trooper. There is all the weirdo windows problems... something stops working for some reason, you get it fixed but what went wrong is a great mystery.. maybe solar activity? Intense neutrino bombardment? Uranus rising during the age of aquarius? :D
hehe. thats one of the reasons why i switched to linux. it made me paranoid "what if they are watching me? i was just about to this and that and then where the fuck did that came from, they are trying to stop me!" :|

Can O' Beans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2-3 people here at work that know Unix/Solaris. I asked one of them what they thought about Linux/Open Source in our workplace and the excuse he thought the IT dept felt was that of the Open Source aspect. They would need someone knowledgeable enough to examine each & every piece of source code to make sure no backdoors, etc.. were in it.

<shrug> THey just love wasting money on Windows licenses here. We got a "network" PC that just site there and pings 6 toublesome routers to make sure they're up (will be replaced someday.... :roll: ) They paid for another license just to have 6 dos windows up, pinging the routers.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that most companies use calander sharing....

is there a linux equivilent ?

linux can serve files, printers, internet, act as a firewall, and webserver, and others.. but this one thing I haven't found a solution for..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: