We are captives of our experience(s)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: We are captives of our experience(s) Reply with quote

Having just seen another thread from a pissed off (potential) Gentoo user, I wonder why Gentoo seems to engender so much bitterness.
This ex has gone to Mandrake and is not missed by any I suspect.

Some time ago, when looking to get off RH9, I tried the early Mandrake 10.
It ate my partition table, and caused me to lose 2 systems, and some time to rebuild them.

So I was pissed off with Mandrake (a fix came out the next day), and Toshiba for their crappy recovery system that reformats the entire disk.
Then I came to Gentoo.

I won't go near Mandrake again, and I won't buy Toshiba next time, but I didn't feel the need to go on their fora and piss on all and sundry.
I wonder why Gentoo really rubs some people so bad.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: We are captives of our experience(s) Reply with quote

syg00 wrote:

Some people don't like to have to think for themselves nor work a little on their computer experience.

Gentoo does require a bit of hard work and intelligence to operate well. Unlike Mandrake and others, designed to be an easy desktop experience, Gentoo does not babysit you so those looking for an easy ride simply won't get it with a Gentoo experience.

Don't take it personally, nobody else does. Some geeza doesn't enjoy using Gentoo? So what? That's the beauty of Linux - choice. It's not like said geezer doesn't have any other options.

Each to their own. Gentoo isn't for everybody.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: We are captives of our experience(s) Reply with quote

syg00 wrote:

I don't think it does, these forums just make it easy for them to rant.
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because people come to gentoo thinking that it is the greatest disto of all.. and then it doesn't work for them. little do they know that nothing work by magic. everythign requires work and care.. but try to explain that to them..

meh, gentoo is better off without them.
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing gentoo requires is patience. some people just get frustrated when they can't figure something out or something doesn't work the way they expect it to.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_aIN_t wrote:
because people come to gentoo thinking that it is the greatest disto of all.. and then it doesn't work for them...

they can't be at fault so they take it out on the distro. mmmh, any shrinks out there?
mvh
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a lot of it is jealousy. The people who are bitter about it typically seem to be fairly clueless and pretty upset that the rest of us can master this system while they can't.
My favourite recently was someone complaining that upon syncing and typing "emerge -u gnome" Portage wanted to update all of gnome's dependencies for him :roll:

It's a pretty typical human reaction; if people can't or won't use something, they don't seem to like other people liking it. Misery loves company I guess ;-)
lamaistres
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a few of the new linux users who want to take the leap to a more "advanced" linux distro, but their just not ready to take that leap. They need more time to understand how things work and have the patience to learn how it all comes together.
IMO, gentoo is one of the easiest distros to install and maintain, but I've also been using linux for as long as I can remember. Imagine me installing solaris or windows xp (which I've never used before) and then thinking, why can't I do everything that solaris or windows guy can do? How come I'm getting all these errors and he's not? It take time to understand a new operating system and I don't think they get that.
So, after a couple of weeks they lose patience and focus their frustrations towards the users of the community. Well, that's my theory. :)
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamaistres wrote:
I think it's a few of the new linux users who want to take the leap to a more "advanced" linux distro, but their just not ready to take that leap. They need more time to understand how things work and have the patience to learn how it all comes together.
IMO, gentoo is one of the easiest distros to install and maintain, but I've also been using linux for as long as I can remember. Imagine me installing solaris or windows xp (which I've never used before) and then thinking, why can't I do everything that solaris or windows guy can do? How come I'm getting all these errors and he's not? It take time to understand a new operating system and I don't think they get that.
So, after a couple of weeks they lose patience and focus their frustrations towards the users of the community. Well, that's my theory. :)

Yeah, it does require some knowledge. You need to know the basics of bash commands and some general computing things.
mnxAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of the rants appear to have been something like "I'm using a source-based distribution that doesn't do anything automatically, and every time I install software it takes ages to compile, and I actually have to configure things myself! I demand that you make Gentoo more like [name of other distribution / operating system] because that is obviously superior!"
msgyrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it lies along the lines of bitterness/jealousy. Most linux users would probably consider themselves smarter than the average computer user. This person feels all big and bad and leet about being able to make fedora run on their computer, and talks condescending to "lesser" windows users. This person then hears about gentoo, the ultimate linux experience (next to LFS), tries it out, and then they realize, "wtf, it doesn't install in 20 minutes?" and "this is stupid, it doesn't work on my box without some configuration."

I assume this person's ego feels pretty shitty when they first come to gentoo, they have to humble themselves to ask for help for the first time. Or, because of the easy way of things in rh or mandrake, they really don't know how linux works, they just use it as a windows substitute to feel superior. I think it's the ego that causes the bitterness towards gentoo, it makes them feel less superior.

Granted, there are probably many people who get disenchanted with gentoo because of impatience, or, they actually need something that gets up and running quick. [/u]
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: We are captives of our experience(s) Reply with quote

syg00 wrote:
Having just seen another thread from a pissed off (potential) Gentoo user, I wonder why Gentoo seems to engender so much bitterness.
This ex has gone to Mandrake and is not missed by any I suspect.

Some time ago, when looking to get off RH9, I tried the early Mandrake 10.
It ate my partition table, and caused me to lose 2 systems, and some time to rebuild them.

So I was pissed off with Mandrake (a fix came out the next day), and Toshiba for their crappy recovery system that reformats the entire disk.
Then I came to Gentoo.

I won't go near Mandrake again, and I won't buy Toshiba next time, but I didn't feel the need to go on their fora and piss on all and sundry.

this is what i am seeing in some of the devs right now. all they know about certain settings for cflags or use flags is what happens when it goes worng and not when it works. over time this will probibly leave a impression that the flag is truely useless and broken but that begs the question. if it is then why is it even a option for gcc?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: