Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
quake1 mods + fuhquake + xqf: ....I'm lost.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyaltonone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: quake1 mods + fuhquake + xqf: ....I'm lost. Reply with quote

help

I have emerged
quake1, quake1-ctf, quake1-teamfortress, xqf, and fuhquake-bin

I can use xqf to connect to quake deathmatch only.

When I connect to ctf or team fortress it can't find any of the darn files.

I've got symlinks made from /usr/share/games/quake-data/ctf and /usr/share/games/quake-data/fortress to /opt/fuhquake-bin...

Also, when I connect to a quake game, XQF segfaults..
Faustov
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had display problems with emerged fuhquake-gl (compiled the executable here on my pc). After downloading the precompiled version, everything started working pretty fine.

Also you need the pak0.pak and pak1.pak in the id1/ dir, wchich contain basic maps, textures, models and sounds. There are also other goodies to make your qw / q1 look like doom3 :)

I suggest downloading the _ready_to_use pack with fuhquake from http://equake.quakeworld.nu
loyaltonone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: hm.. Reply with quote

thanks, but i'm not having any problems with display or complaints from the client about the base textures/maps/model/sounds.... i have pak0 and pak1 from the original quake cd and that works great.

my problem is related to playing quake mods with fuhquake...
desktopfan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check to make sure that the teamfortress files installed into quake/fortress
loyaltonone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got fortress and ctf in /usr/share/games/quake-data/

i've also got those symlinked to /opt/fuhquake-bin

i think the problem is xqf... it doesn't seem to be executing the right command when i connect to a game........;P
atrophy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my experience with XQF that it frequently messes up when trying to launch QW. The best idea is to put together a little script that will launch Fuhquake, and let XQF run that by entering it in the "command line" text box on the Quake properties page. This approach also allows you to specify lots of command line goodness for Fuhquake too. As an example, here is my startup script:

Code:
cd ~james/Quake
export LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libpthread.so.0
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0
./fuhquake-gl.glx -basedir . -mrate 200 -conwidth 320 -fullscreen -zone 4096 +spectator 1 -heapsize 32768 +cfg_load demo.cfg -width 640 -height 480 -bpp 16 -particles 4096 +connect $*

Notice the "+connect $*" part, which will automagically connect to the server you have selected.

Hope this is of some help.
loyaltonone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about your "-game xxx" argument ?

is it necessary when running xqf ?

when i try to create a custom arg in xqf it tries to use -gamedir instead of -game.. which doesn't seem to work

atrophy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if you're just playing normal deathmatch you don't need to use -game. You probably know that.

A possible reason for XQF using "-gamedir" is because you have configured it for "Quake" and not "QuakeWorld". Fuhquake is a QW engine and makes use of "-game" and not "-gamedir".

To setup Fuhquake to use the mods you've installed just add "-game ctf" or "-game fortress" to your QW command line. You can also type "gamedir ctf" or "gamedir fortress" once in the game at the console.

There may be a problem with the quake1-ctf and quake1-teamfortress packages you've emerged. Netquake and QW use different progs.dat files for mods which means that if they were compiled for Netquake then Fuhquake won't read them. If that's the case, you can manually download and install the QuakeWorld versions no problem at all.
loyaltonone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im actually using fuhquake with the 'quakeworld' game type in xqf.. it still tries to use -gamedir.... it also won't even attempt to use my "custom arguments" that i define..

im just cut/pasting the server ip's with my script as a workaround to the xqf problems

there is definitely a learning curve to get quake1 running for someone who used to play it 6 years ago on a windows platform ;]
atrophy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is the game data is in the wrong place.

/usr/share/games/quake-data/ctf should be linked to /opt/fuhquake-bin/ctf
/usr/share/games/quake-data/fortress should be linked to /opt/fuhquake-bin/fortress

I may be completely wrong here but I think you only need to use "-game" parameter when you want to use a non-default directory name for the mod. QW knows which data to load by asking the server which directory it's using.

As a final resort, just delete the TF and CTF files. Connect to any modern CTF and TF server and they will auto-download the files you need into the correct places.
Jammet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys can help me with quake as well.

I'm trying to simply run the normal quake1 for singleplayer. I have .. like, emerged all of the quake1 related ebuilds that exist, from quake1 to the textures, to the addons, quakeforge, quakeworld, quake-fortress, quake-this, quake-that, industri, tenebrae ...

The problems I run into? ANY quake 1 version that uses OpenGL has erratic mouse movement because I'm using the ati-drivers and have the neccessary X11 Option to get them working, which prevents Quake from using my mouse under GL. Fine. I'll be happy with Software rendering.

Now, I start quake.x11 and I get a teensy weenie thumpnail quake1 and I have no way of telling it that I want a higher resolution of fullscreen. I've tried searching console commands to no avail. I've tried fiddling with quake.cfg.

Furthermore, the pak files are not found unless I am in a directory with a subdir called ID1. It won't even go looking for what I'm pointing at with the +game parameter (/usr/share/games/quake-data) ...

Somebody please help.
atrophy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried games-fps/fuhquake-bin? You can play both singleplayer and multiplayer in it. For software rendering use the .svga binary, not the .x11. You'll need SVGALib installed and working. To change game directories, use the "-game xx" command line parameter.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start your own thread rather than adding to this one, you'd draw more attention to your problem that way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: