Why is my port 80 open ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Why is my port 80 open ? Reply with quote

I recently ran ShieldsUp at grc.com and was surprised to find that it shows port 80 open. I am not running a web server (at least I think I am not). However, I recently found that the directory /home/httpd has been created on my machine containing what looks like a framework web site. I am not 100% sure, but I think this happened when I emerged kdevelop.

I would like to close port 80, as I do not wish to run a web server. Does anybody have any ideas about what is happening?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsof should be able to tell you what process has opened that port, and qpkg should tell you what package owns it.
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, rac. It seems that there is always a command to do whatever you need done, but the problem is finding the command.

I tried
Code:
lsof -i:80
which I think should list port 80, but this did not give any output. I am wondering now whether my DSL gateway/router has opened port 80, since there is a way it can be configured by a machine on the internet side (although I do not have this function enabled)
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuser 80/tcp (as root) to see the process that's opening that port.

If nothing shows up, then nmap your router :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about your startup scripts? Check in /etc/runlevels for what's running at boot. Try emerge -s apache and see if it's installed.
Rihkama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some routers (like mine Telewell EA-701B ADSL-router) provides web control panel so you might check your router's configuration too.
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I cannot find any application running that claims to be using port 80. emerge -s apache says not installed. fuser 80/tcp doesn't return anything. ls /etc/runlevels/boot returns alsasound checkfs clock hostname localmount net.lo serial bootmisc checkroot consolefont keymaps modules rmnologin urandom. I am not sure what most of these do, but none of them look like a webserver to me.

I have a Belkin F5D6230-3 router that allows me to designate one external ip address (or all external ip addresses) that can configure the router, but I have not enabled it. I guess it's possible that the router opens the port even though I have disabled remote admin.

I am not too concerned, now that I know there is nothing running on my gentoo box listening on port 80, but it does seem strange that the router would advertise its presence on port 80, when it will reject any connection attempts.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EatYourGreens wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I cannot find any application running that claims to be using port 80. emerge -s apache says not installed. fuser 80/tcp doesn't return anything. ls /etc/runlevels/boot returns alsasound checkfs clock hostname localmount net.lo serial bootmisc checkroot consolefont keymaps modules rmnologin urandom. I am not sure what most of these do, but none of them look like a webserver to me.

I have a Belkin F5D6230-3 router that allows me to designate one external ip address (or all external ip addresses) that can configure the router, but I have not enabled it. I guess it's possible that the router opens the port even though I have disabled remote admin.

I am not too concerned, now that I know there is nothing running on my gentoo box listening on port 80, but it does seem strange that the router would advertise its presence on port 80, when it will reject any connection attempts.

It's most likely your router's port, and it's probably automatically opened to allow administration via the web. If you're asking an external site (like grc) to check your computer, it's not going to be able to penetrate beyond your router. For a more accurate check, try running nmap -sS <your computer's IP> from inside your network. This should provide you with more accurate information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: