Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc. Reply with quote

This will allow an easy method of contacting all moderators at one time.
  • Users:
    • If you spot what you believe to be a duplicate post, please post a link to it here. In addition, include a link to what is being duplicated.
    • If you find a post you think belongs in a different forum, let us know.
    • Avoid multiple reports of spam:
      • If a user's posts are all spam, report the user, not the posts.
      • Review this thread after submitting a report. Please delete your report if someone beat you to the punch.
    • Any other post that you think requires moderation (violations of Guidelines, broken BBcode, etc.).

• Moderators:
    • Please delete posts after you've addressed them.
Thanks in advance.

(original post from pjp)

2009-06-03: Added spam reporting tips. --timeBandit
wjb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: Massimo B.
Topic: Planning Mercurial for /etc
Reason: necromancy

(should be a new thread)
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: CZ_JC
Topic: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs?
Reason: Necropost that adds nothing of value
miroR
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
User: miroR
Topic: Why is Gentoo not switching to systemd?
Reason: This user seems unable to distinguish between a blog and a forum. Is such word vomit permitted on the forums? It's one thing when he keeps to his own threads, but then to muddy up a perfectly good one? :cry:

Pls. where did you read the word vomit in my post?
I didn't use it, you imagined it.
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miroR wrote:
Pls. where did you read the word vomit in my post?
I didn't use it, you imagined it.

"such word-vomit": one phrase, meaning the whole of your posts are complete stream-of-consciousness rants, not even suitable for a blog-post. You'd be muted on IRC if you started dribbling like that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
User: miroR
Topic: Why is Gentoo not switching to systemd?
Reason: This user seems unable to distinguish between a blog and a forum. Is such word vomit permitted on the forums? It's one thing when he keeps to his own threads, but then to muddy up a perfectly good one? :cry:
Disagreeing with someone's opinion doesn't make their opinion any more or less "word vomit" than your own. The post seemed to reasonably offer his or her opinion, as do most others posts. And since this is indeed a forum and not a blog, it is more open to the comments from others than solely the blogger.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Disagreeing with someone's opinion doesn't make their opinion any more or less "word vomit" than your own. The post seemed to reasonably offer his or her opinion, as do most others posts. And since this is indeed a forum and not a blog, it is more open to the comments from others than solely the blogger.
Understood.

In my defense, this had nothing to do with a disagreement over opinion and was more a disagreement over an unnecessarily (almost borderline absurdly) verbose presentation. The reference to 'word vomit' was due to the rambling nature of the screed; the text almost seemed designed to confuse participants and stifle legitimate conversation. I was concerned that the thread (which has been surprisingly effective despite the 'controversial' subject) would be derailed by the length and style of the post, not that anything objectionable had been written. Thankfully it seems not to have come to pass.

I do apologize for having elevated this to the moderators, and I do agree that this was not a moderator issue. I should have tried imploring him to rein in his verbiage myself, but others have tried and failed in the past, so I thought I'd try another route.

The error is mine.
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
I do apologize for having elevated this to the moderators, and I do agree that this was not a moderator issue. I should have tried imploring him to rein in his verbiage myself, but others have tried and failed in the past, so I thought I'd try another route.

The error is mine.

I disagree: afaic, he should rein in his verbiage. It's a tricky one since you can't in general moderate based on length, but like most of these things, you can tell when someone has crossed over the line so far that they can't even see it. I'd say this is one of those times, and it's fair to pick up on it, since as you say, it's happened before on several occasions.

Not that it's a cause for a ban or anything: but it is cause for having it pointed out, and imo if it continues (so that many of the user's posts are pages-long, followed by another page-long ramble) then it's fair enough to edit them down or indeed move them to the dustbin, depending on their content, and the context, and provided it's after a process of trying to communicate the issue.

The real concern is the lack of self-awareness, which implies he's not re-reading his own posts, nor absorbing that when people say this to him, it's purely out of the desire not to wade through endless ramble. No doubt that's what moderators think of most of the stuff we post.. ;)

I think it's obvious he's not rereading, nor prescreening after he's typed it up, as it's just so long. He certainly seems comfortable enough with chat-forums, so I don't think it's newbishness in that sense.
hasufell
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: steveL
Topic: Portage-NG: brainstorming
Reason: OT, spam, random threats
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
User: steveL
Topic: Portage-NG: brainstorming
Reason: OT, spam, random threats

It's not off-topic, I'm simply responding to your implicit threat, that you'd rather manipulate a user into making, on spurious grounds.

If you don't want that discussion, don't make such politically-motivated, spurious posts.
Navar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

+1, well stated, thank you.

--
I do believe much of the time this stems from others not having English as their primary language while still attempting to communicate in detail. Even then nuances and assertion stances may not be interpreted correctly. When others quickly chide them with abbreviated mockery and overall knee jerk reactions to state go away, I'm unsure what real point they're trying to convey other than narcissism.

While we're on the judgemental thought train; if others protesting can assert and show with conviction that every one of your posts is succinct, useful and not ego massaging, then perhaps consider writing books for those lesser instead of spending time here. That proselytizing from your ivory tower could earn a fortune.

Another good example is a recent older user who was too often completely misconstrued in their thread. Not because their prose was somehow insufficient but moreover simply because others could not be bothered to fully read and absorb the intent. Instead they quickly formed their own assertions and threw them back. Amazing the individual didn't just quietly feel insulted and leave.

The forums, like newsgroups and mailing lists are, thankfully, not IRC. Let's keep some perspective please.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: