Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Zetagrid GLUE-team --> We are in the TOP 2 (7 July 2003)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zendron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beowulf wrote:

now if we could get a dock app for this nifty little thing.... that'd be great ;)

... or a gkrellm plugin
Gushy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah a gkrellm plugin would be cool! :)

Just added my machines to the fold, my two gentoo boxes; a 1.3ghz duron - on 24/7 and an athlon 2200xp (1.8ghz I think) and my missus' windows box, a duron 850. should a help a little.
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually trying to make a gkrellm plugin. The problem is that I can't get right results when calculating progress. It's always few percents of. If you have any ideas on how to do this feel free to tell me(It currently reads values from zeta_zeros.tmp). The plugin is still far from complete and currently I don't have lot of free time, so don't espect it to be ready soon.

Also, if you have suggestions for features and layout, please tell me and I'll see what I can do.
JayBee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats Update:
(for those that don't know, the stats are available at http://www.zetagrid.net/servlet/service/producers?user=Michael+Imhof&email=tantive%40gentoo.org)
Overall: 3rd (only 6.5 billion zeros to 2nd), running 433 Computers!!!
24 hrs: 1st (Still!) by 120 million zeros!! (and 130 million over 2nd place!)
7 days 1st!! by 400 million zeros (and 440 million over 2nd place!)

So in 4 months we should be #2 as long as we keep this up! Lets keep cranking the zeros!

Also, fo those new to the cause, see the FAQ at http://cvs.gentoo.org/~tantive/.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!

Also, I note that there are a few people (approx 80 computers by the looks) still contributing to GLUE, but not to Michael Imhof. If you know one of them (or are one of them) please consider changing your details to Michael Imhof, as we want the biggest share of the prize money for Gentoo, and groups count for squat :(
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, just a quick observation. While I think this is a noble project, and setting it up to help support Gentoo is a grand idea.. its all assuming that the Riemann Hypothesis is incorrect. So far there are how many BILLION zeros tested? It seems to be holding up fairly well. Of course, it could be wrong and I'm still running it and I'd really like to see Gentoo get some funding.. but, you know, getting worked up about being 1st place doesn't mean much if the hypothesis isn't wrong. Even if we smoke the competition, if its not proven wrong, Gentoo doesn't get jack. :(

Its nice to see us with such massive numbers though.
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: i think you have it backwards Reply with quote

taken from http://www.zetagrid.net/zeta/prizes.html:
Quote:

Up to $1,000,000 (USD) award to the first 100 top producers of ZetaGrid if Sebastian Wedeniwski wins the $1 million prize for a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis from Clay Mathematics Institute by using the results or the statistical summaries of ZetaGrid.

Looks to me like the prize money is awarded for proving the hypothesis, not disproving it.
And it looks like the smaller payouts are for zeros that come close to disproving it.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well damn, I stand corrected. I guess I should read more carefully next time. :oops:
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Zetagrid plugin for Gkrellm Reply with quote

Bluesman originated a plugin for displaying progress of the zetagrid client for GKrellm 1.2 (and posted earlier in this subject on it). Unfortunately, Bluesman's website has disappeared, but my wife and I made some adaptations to his original work to make it work under GKrellm 2. You can find it here along with the tarball we originally downloaded from the now-defunct site. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, nor can I promise that we'll fix any bugs you may find. Please direct feedback to the email address on our page.

Hope this is useful to someone, and long live GLUE!
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Works just fine.

Great, now I don't have any pressures on finishing my plugin. :D
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: ... and another one bites the bait Reply with quote

You have just gained the cycles of my dual-Athlon 1800+ box (3014.65 and 3055.61 bogoMIPS).

I am pausing my folding@home until this is over. After all, mathematics is cooler than boring biophysics ;) Good Luck, all!
Vagabond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the plug in the GWN has boosted us a lot, we now have 486 members of the collective of which 235 have contributed workunits in the last week. In the past 7 days we have processed over 1 billion zeros, the most I've ever seen us do in a week and at the present rate we will get to second in approx 2 months. I know that seems like a while but we have to basically do the same amount of work we have already done again to catch up on the leaders.

We've also found the 5th, 14th, 82nd and the 91st closest zeros :)

Keep those zeros coming.

Vag
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW we are now 1st.. and i'm just setting up my 3 boxes to crunch.... they will be as follows:

1) 233mhz server, not much but better than nothing
2) 450mhz parents PC
3) 1.53mhz athlon xp 1800+
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freely admit that this is a bump and an attempt to keep this subject in my egosearch. :P That being said, the mention in GWN seems to have propelled the collective to new heights in productivity! Keep up the good work!
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
BTW we are now 1st.. and i'm just setting up my 3 boxes to crunch.... they will be as follows:

1) 233mhz server, not much but better than nothing
2) 450mhz parents PC
3) 1.53mhz athlon xp 1800+

We aren't first, we are still 3rd, but we are only around 4 billion zero's away from second, which is pretty good, it's almost exponential since the last few times i've checked.

We are the best produces over the last 24 hrs, and the last 7 days, but we've been that for ages ;)
markfl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really cool - in a couple of days you can have the spare cycles on my brand spanking new Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz 800Mhz FSB 1Gb Corsair DDR400 RAM system crunching numbers for you.

If we win some money for gentoo i wonder what it will be spent on
hardware for developers mayb...
what would benifit the gentoo users most? (seeing as we as a collective earned the money it should go to benifit us)

i havent read up on what its trying to prove yet or exactly what its doing but money for gentoo sounds cool
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I added one of my spare machines to the effort.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this rate GLUE will be 1st in about 300 days

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
dolbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spotted this thread. You're soon to gain a XP2000 with 512Mb ram. And like MouseJockey said. What will this money be spent on? how will it benefit gentoo users? the people who (hopefully) win it!

Dolbz
fbreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came across this thread I was confused: How should it be possible to prove the Riemann Hypothesis by computation? You would have to show that all roots of the Zeta function lie on the critical line, but there are infinitely many of them! So: you cannot do this computationally. You could of course find a disproof of the Hypothesis by computing a root off the critical line, but that would not earn the $1m prize.

Further investigation revealed indeed: The ZetaGrid project is aimed at computing many zeros of the Zeta function so that a statistical analysis of the gathered data might yield some ideas ("unproven heuristics" as it says on the site) about the statistical distribution of said zeros. This in turn might indicate a direction in which a proof might be found.

So: If the statistical data does indeed provide some intuition about how to prove the Hypothesis this whole project might have some scientific merit. But only if Sebastian Wedeniwski manages to construct a proof from it will there be any prize-money.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but all in all I think this project is a waste of time and computing resources as it is highly unlikely to yield either mathematical results or money.

On the other hand: how "likely" is it to find aliens? :)

PS: The comparison of ZetaGrid with the computational proof of the Four Color Problem mentioned on the site is ill fitting. This proof by Appel & Haken (1977) involved the (non-computational) reduction of the infinitely many cases to 1482 distinct cases. These finitely many cases were then proved computationally. ZetaGrid does not reduce the Riemann Hypothesis to a finite problem.
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Duron 750 and P3 600 are crunching their little hearts out.

I too am Michael Imhof.
zendron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just get the 2 rank !!!
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else has been watching the stats on the Zetagrid site lately, but I thought I might mention that production from Michael Imhof has been declining to the point that another top producer is ahead for the past 24 hours - and appears to be steadily performing. I am not casting stones here - it's summer, we've had a bit of a heatwave and I have put the Zetagrid client on hold during the daylight hours to prevent overheating. Just hoping that we can regain some interest in the project and get some more steady-producing machines!

For anyone that doesn't know how to view the stats for Michael Imhof, click this link: Top Producer Michael Imhof

I also noticed that there was discussion in the Zetagrid forums that indicates the project originator expects that computation will stop near the end of 2004 - whenever the total output of computed zeros reaches 1 trillion. According to the site, there have been nearly 500 billion (half of goal) computed. So far, it seems that the hypothesis has held up - that is another condition for stopping the computation. In any case, there is still time for our collective to capture the top spot on the list of producers, so let's see what we can do!
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to fetch/upload any work in about a week now.
Am I the only one have problems?

[edit] Guess not: http://www.zetagrid.net/forum/thread.jsp?forum=5&thread=971&message=3646#3646
Bluesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, anyone figured out why ps aux | grep java shows 0.0% CPU usage? sar (part of sysstat package) also shows 0 usage, while system CPU usage is pretty much 100%.
It used to work pretty good some time ago when I was running zetagrid but not at the moment.

I'm currently using 2.6.0-test6-mm4 kernel...
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesman wrote:
Btw, anyone figured out why ps aux | grep java shows 0.0% CPU usage? sar (part of sysstat package) also shows 0 usage, while system CPU usage is pretty much 100%.
It used to work pretty good some time ago when I was running zetagrid but not at the moment.

I'm currently using 2.6.0-test6-mm4 kernel...

I think it's 2.6 that is to blame.
I noticed that "top" did not list the java process either (although it is certainly running). I have not been able to figure out why this happens.
Zetagrid is running fine again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: