ALSA - Can't locate module snd-card-via8233
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: ALSA - Can't locate module snd-card-via8233 Reply with quote

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm at a dead-end. I've been reading though all the posts, as well as following the Desktop Configuration Guide, but I still can't get sould though ALSA. I've recompiled the kernel with sound support, but no extra sound drivers. I've emerged the all the alsa modules, and updated the config files like the guide says.

When I run /etc/init.d/alsa start, I get the following error:

* Initialising ALSA.... [ ok ]
* Starting sound driver: snd-card-via8233 modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-via8233 [ ok ]
* Starting sound driver: snd-card-via8233 modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-via8233 [ ok ]
* No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!

When I look in the control panel in KDE, I can see that I am running the on-board VIA 8233 chipset. How do I get the snd-card-via8233 module?

Thanks for any help,

Chuck
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the newer 0.9.x version of Alsa installed, the desktop guide is out of date. With Alsa 0.9.x plus, the modules for your soundcard are no longer called snd-card-xxxx, they are now just snd-xxxx (xxxx being the module name). Try renaming it without the "card" bit in it, and see how you go. If you are still having problems, do a search of the forums for alsa 0.9 stuff - there were a bunch of posts about the newer version of Alsa a couple of weeks back.
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: I think that's it! Reply with quote

BillyD wrote:
If you have the newer 0.9.x version of Alsa installed, the desktop guide is out of date. With Alsa 0.9.x plus, the modules for your soundcard are no longer called snd-card-xxxx, they are now just snd-xxxx (xxxx being the module name). Try renaming it without the "card" bit in it, and see how you go. If you are still having problems, do a search of the forums for alsa 0.9 stuff - there were a bunch of posts about the newer version of Alsa a couple of weeks back.

I read this just before I had to go to work, but I did try "modprobe snd-via8233" and it seems to work. Hopefully everything should go smoother from now on. Thanks for the help.

Chuck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: