scsi boot errors :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloke2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: scsi boot errors :( Reply with quote

Hello :?

I am having problems boting my gentoo system, after I spent literally days building it :(

My problem is that I when the system boots, modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter fails with an errno=2, thus my root filesystem is unable to be mounted, since it is on my scsi disk.

I have an adaptec aha 2940U2 pci controller, and 2 seagate scsi drives and one ide drive.

looking in my kernel config, I have enabled scsi support burnt in not as module, as well as the aic7xxx host adapter card also burnt in.

It has been suggested that I use lilo instead of grub and use mkinitrd, is this the only option I have, is there another way around this please

cheers
Bloke2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Arggggh! driving me mad! Reply with quote

Ok I no longer get the modeprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter error now :)

but it still does not allow me to mount my scsi partitions, thus not giving me a full system, var and usr are on the scsi disks, but they are not found when fstab tries to mount them

modprobe sd_mod returns an error :( saying not found

I have definately built scsi support in to the kernel how can I load the scsi hard disk modules to get to recognise my scsi hardisks when it boots

what am I doing wrong

I am fairly new to Linux, but decided that I did not want the easy disotros of linux, I wanted to build my own, to get a sense of achievement of sorts.

have built from a stage 1 compiled a kernel actually got grub bootdisk to work :)

but it is this last hurdle which has got me now

my scsi disks are seagtes a 9.1gb and an 18.4gb 68 pin scsi

Please can someone jump in her and give me some help on this one

thanks
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afer logging in, what does the command

Code:
mount -av
produce, can you post the results along with your /etc/fstab. Lets see what's trying to be mounted and where.

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Arggggh! driving me mad! Reply with quote

Bloke2k wrote:
Ok I no longer get the modeprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter error now :)

but it still does not allow me to mount my scsi partitions, thus not giving me a full system, var and usr are on the scsi disks, but they are not found when fstab tries to mount them

modprobe sd_mod returns an error :( saying not found

I have definately built scsi support in to the kernel how can I load the scsi hard disk modules to get to recognise my scsi hardisks when it boots

thanks

You should compile scsi disk support into the kernel, -not- as a module, if you're booting off a scsi disk.
Bloke2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi :)

I believe you helped me out earlier,

I have now resolved this one, I cheated, and mounted /boot and / to my ide drive :oops: this still failed for other scsi disks, so I checked the kernel options again, this time I disabled smp, and looking under scsi low level, I discovered when scrolling down the list the a sym5xxxx was also bunt in to the kernel not as a module.

I feel really dumb now that I did not see this before, but one thing for sure I know I definately did not enable this in the first place.

what I then did was load aic7xxx and aic7xxx_old as modules, and it worked after recompiling the kernel.

Doh I wish I had scrolled through this list in first place, but since I saw my driver near the top it did not occur to me to check further down.

I checked this on all the other settings scrolling through each and every list disabling or loading modules for anything I knew I did not need and modulising anything I was not 100% certain if I needed or not.

Thanks for your help anyway really apreciated :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: